Weekend Warrior 14ers FKT

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Weekend Warrior 14ers FKT

Post by thebeave7 »

nunns wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:12 pm True that. It has taken me 20 years now to climb about 37 of the 14ers. I wish I had more time but I am not sure it would be as much fun if I could climb whenever I wanted to. Or maybe it would. Part of the fun is the intense planning and preparation and anticipation of the trip.
Sean Nunn
Sean,
Really good point, all the late night trailhead arrivals, exhausted Monday mornings at work after getting home at 11pm are definitely part of the experience with all the long peak bagging endeavors. Do what you love, love what you do.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

justiner wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am Counterpoint: not everything has to be a competition.
+1

Exceptionalism culture cracks me up. Everyone wants to be the first/fastest at something. Does anyone climb mountains simply for the joy of it anymore, or are people only motivated by chasing some obscure record? (that's a rhetorical question)

But for what it's worth, I think I'm the first person to eat sour patch kids on the summit of every 14er :)
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Fkts are for the exceptional and extraordinary. It seems pointless to own an Fkt for being the best at mediocrity.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 pm Fkts are for the exceptional and extraordinary. It seems pointless to own an Fkt for being the best at mediocrity.
Unless sour patch kids are involved! That’s exceptionally extraordinary!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

shelly+ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 pm Fkts are for the exceptional and extraordinary. It seems pointless to own an Fkt for being the best at mediocrity.
It's a silly fkt idea, but anyone who can finish the 14ers in true weekend warrior style is imo exceptional and extraordinary.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Why are you dumping all working people into a categoty of mediocrity? I know quite a few working stiffs that are exceptional atheletes, extremely stong hikers, and / or talented climbers. To work five days a week and have the energy to go hard in the mountains week after week, including a lot of drive time, is not for the weak or mediocore.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

John Landers wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm
Why are you dumping all working people into a categoty of mediocrity? I know quite a few working stiffs that are exceptional atheletes, extremely stong hikers, and / or talented climbers. To work five days a week and have the energy to go hard in the mountains week after week, including a lot of drive time, is not for the weak or mediocore.
The question from the OP is whether a list of arbitrary qualifiers should be considered as the grounds for an fkt. I too am a working bloke who isn't an exceptional athlete or strong hiker or talented climber or anything remarkable but I drive to colorado from albuquerque on countless weekends, somehow mine the energy to warrior through a list of peaks, and certainly believe myself to be extraordinary, amazing, and very special. None of that, however, qualifies me for an fkt. Or, when I finish, should I be awarded the fkt for the fastest time finishing the 14ers driving from albuquerque on weekends? Probably not, since I bet someone else already holds that fkt.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

John Landers wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm
Now that I think about it, this whole conversation reminds me of how they give gold medals to ALL the kids who participate in the school competition. Wonderful. Everyone wins!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Not an fkt, more like a finishers club where you get a green sweater vest and matching mouse pad.
Plus two weekends a year the finishers club gets together to celebrate their fellow working stiffs.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

What if I work 5 days a week but my days off are Tuesday and Wednesday.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 pm What if I work 5 days a week but my days off are Tuesday and Wednesday.
You just start your own thread. Duh.
And, you get to set the rules for the Tue/Wed Warrior club.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i checked fastestknowntime.com and couldn't find any FKTs that are restricted to certain days of the week, or the requirement to make it back to your home by an arbitrarily-chosen time. so i think this FKT is a non-starter.

that said, the OP is a finisher, so if he wants to create a set of restrictions or limits to make things more interesting for himself, then have at it. and if you want to find others to challenge to the same set of rules and restrictions, why not? like others have said, though, it doesn't need to be a competition. adding the competitive aspect is what turns something like this from interesting to silly. it's a shame to see an interesting idea derailed into this thread's negativity because it was originally framed as an FKT instead of something more inclusive, i feel like the tone of responses would have been a lot different if it hadn't been proposed as an FKT.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin