Colorado wild hot springs in late fall and winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Colorado wild hot springs in late fall and winter

Post by Alex »

I am going to be in Colorado at the beginning of November and would like to combine some hike with the wild hot springs. Again, I am interested in the wild one, not the "resort and spa" one. Ideally, it would require some hike to get there, thus filtering out crowds of the random people.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Colorado wild hot springs in late fall and winter

Post by susanjoypaul »

There aren't many wild ones left. Most have been commercialized. But off the top of my head, check out Radium, Penny, South Canyon, Piedra, and Rainbow. There's a few on the San Juan Rivewalk too, and one in Glenwood. You need a permit for Conundrum, and I'm not sure about the status of Rico. Last time I visited there were private property signs posted, but they may be redirecting the water to a public site. That's the last I remember since visiting 47 of them a few years back (2017).
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

There are a few on the Colorado right as you enter Glenwood. There is another on the Crystal just north of Redstone, south of Carbondale.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

susanjoypaul wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm ...and I'm not sure about the status of Rico. Last time I visited there were private property signs posted, but they may be redirecting the water to a public site.
Last I heard, the new owners of the property in Rico are only allowing locals to use it.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Susan's too modest to mention her own book, so I will:
Touring Colorado Hot Springs.jpg
Touring Colorado Hot Springs.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

HJXsW9ZQxZkWY.gif
HJXsW9ZQxZkWY.gif (467.32 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

:lol:
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

Rainbow Hot Springs, north of Pagosa Springs. some 5 miles or so into the wilderness, there's a well marked trail all the way, and there should be campsites near the hot springs.