SKT

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: SKT

Post by bdloftin77 »

THCello37 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm ...the strategy might mean saving an easier one as a finisher, and then a fair degree of gamble/risk as you get up there in age that you’ll be around, and in shape for the next climbing season!
Could always save Pikes Peak as a finisher! If you're purposefully not following the 3000 ft rule, that is.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Count me as another who will probably never finish. I’ve had some great times on 14ers and at one point thought I would climb them all, but in the last few years I’ve realized there is so much stuff more enjoyable than dealing with crowds, land closures, and slag heaps just to tick a list. That said, I’d like to finish the San Juans, preferably in snow.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Bale wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:58 am That said, I’d like to finish the San Juans, preferably in snow.
Snow is key for my goal of eventually finishing the 14ers without ever being bored. The harder ones are super fun in summer, but there is no easy 14er in winter, so I'm saving a lot of the boring ones to hopefully do as winter ascents. I'll probably also be able to snag some by taking my kids or some inexperienced friends up some of the less challenging peaks that I haven't crossed off, and the fun will be in getting to see them experience it within their abilities and comfort level. There are also plenty of peaks with boring standard routes but interesting non-standard routes.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I could have attempted to claim the highly competitive title of "slowest known finisher who climbed at least one new 14er every year", but sadly I was blanked this summer for the first time ever. Started in 2001.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

JaredJohnson wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:16 am
Bale wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:58 am That said, I’d like to finish the San Juans, preferably in snow.
Snow is key for my goal of eventually finishing the 14ers without ever being bored. The harder ones are super fun in summer, but there is no easy 14er in winter, so I'm saving a lot of the boring ones to hopefully do as winter ascents. I'll probably also be able to snag some by taking my kids or some inexperienced friends up some of the less challenging peaks that I haven't crossed off, and the fun will be in getting to see them experience it within their abilities and comfort level. There are also plenty of peaks with boring standard routes but interesting non-standard routes.

Yeah, we know the real reason why you want to do the "boring" ones with snow. You've got a whole slew of kids to haul your ass up the hill in a sled.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:51 pm
Barnold41 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:48 pm Don't plan on completing them, so does forever count?
:lol: thanks! Made my day!
PikaSteve
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (5)

Post by PikaSteve »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:30 pm I won't call it my goal - but if I do finish (and that might be doubtful), I will easily beat the 49 year time. I did my first 14er in 1975 and at the rate I'm going, it will take me at least another 5 years to finish. 50+ years easily. That, of course, assumes I will stay healthy for the next 5 years and who knows?

But I am pretty spooked about Little Bear.....
I finished this year on North Eolus after 41 years. I got the 14ers bug after my first climb--Longs Peak in 1980 with my older brother who was working at the YMCA camp. I got a job in Colorado in 1989, however, between time out of state, time out of country, then kids, then work commitments, my progress was slow until my retirement last year.

I thought Little Bear was the crux of the list, but with approach shoes, almost no water in the hour glass and a weekday climb, I was able to reach the summit on my second trip. For me, the hardest climbing was at the narrow point of the hourglass and didn't feel too exposed from a falling/landing perspective, although it did feel incredibly exposed from a rockfall risk perspective. Pyramid Peak (third try over three years) was my first Class 4 summit and made me feel confident enough to try Little Bear.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

chasing an SKT is pretty exciting, but i'm more interested in doing a last ascent
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

I started in 1999 with Elbert! Just finished 48 this summer (56 with repeats and 5 13ers)! I reside in Texas and have had to juggle the Marine Corps, graduate school, and a career! I hope to finish in the new few years!
Ted from TEXAS!
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

My14er "work in progress" started in June, 1987 on Torreys.
Over 34 years later, I am heading out to hike sunshine this Saturday for number 45.
That will leave me 13 left, so the current plan is to try and finish in the summer of 2023, for a total of
36 years.
I will be 63 then, and have realized that even if my enthusiasm is still high, my pace has become quite a bit slower.
I have also noticed that my tolerance for exposure and risk is not what it used to be.
Pyramid and north maroon have me concerned, but I know that delaying the effort will not help.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm chasing an SKT is pretty exciting, but i'm more interested in doing a last ascent
Wow, that's pretty cool. It's not every day you get to say that you might have completed the last ascent of a mountain (as it used to be).
jeffmpls
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffmpls »

I’m at 57/58 with my start date being August 1988. I’ll most likely push it out a few more years.