Mt. Zirkel North Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
astranko
14ers: 41  16 
13ers: 131 8
Trip Reports (1)

Mt. Zirkel North Ridge

Post by astranko »

Does anyone have any beta on the North Ridge of Mt. Zirkel?

I can't seem to find any information on it.

Maybe due to the fact that it's so far in there and sees comparatively little traffic due to it being a 12er and whatnot.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt. Zirkel North Ridge

Post by bdloftin77 »

Being the Routt county high point, Zirkel might be more popular than you’d think. Unfortunately though, the vast majority of hikers likely take the (long) standard approach from the south.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I haven't done the North Ridge, but it's in Kramarsic's book. It says class 3-4.

I don't know if the book is still in print so email me and I'll send you the page (if you want it).. It says the file is too large to post here.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Actually let me see if screenshoting the photo works.
Screenshot_20210929-210505_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-210505_Gallery.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
It worked.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

bdloftin77 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:18 pm Being the Routt county high point, Zirkel might be more popular than you’d think. Unfortunately though, the vast majority of hikers likely take the (long) standard approach from the south.
I was thinking the same thing. Zirkel's on a lot of lists: Park Range highpoint, Routt County highpoint, Mount Zirkel Wilderness highpoint, one of the top 100 in prominence, and a P2K (actually, P3K, with more than 3,000 feet of prominence). So anyone working on those lists has Zirkel in their plans, and yes, the standard approach from the Slavonia Trailhead, and with a trail most of the way up, is probably the route most take.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

there are some kind of intense looking crags on the north end of Big Agnes - not sure if those extend over towards Zirkel or not but if so it would make approach from north inadvisable.

having said that - I could see that whole 'north of the zirkel range' area last time i was there and it looked inviting. seemed like a cool place to launch out of.

and if google earth is to be believed those big agnes crags do not extend over to zirkel
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

jibler wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am there are some kind of intense looking crags on the north end of Big Agnes - not sure if those extend over towards Zirkel or not but if so it would make approach from north inadvisable.

having said that - I could see that whole 'north of the zirkel range' area last time i was there and it looked inviting. seemed like a cool place to launch out of.

and if google earth is to be believed those big agnes crags do not extend over to zirkel
Apparently, I took a short video from the top of Big Agnes and you can see Mount Zirkel at about 1 minute or so in. Ignore the babbling. I talk to myself a lot when I hike alone.
From this video, this doesn't look like the best route to the north ridge :-)

jschooch
14ers: 47 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jschooch »

A friend and I tried to hike it from Grizzly Helena Trail in August and it is brutal. The frying pan basin trail is basically non existent due to fallen trees. We chose to bushwhack more direct from Goose Creek. Deadfall is terrible through a lot of there as well but if you know the way it is manageable. From about 9600' it opens up a bit and hiking isn't as bad. Above treeline is very nice. We got to the start of the ridge and weather was rolling in so we turned around. The closest picture that we had is attached. I would call the visible stuff a class 2/3. The top from this angle is a false summit and I'm not sure what the ridge between the two holds but it looks like it might be more difficult from far away. Total distance from GH trailhead is 16+ miles and the majority is through heavy deadfall. Coming from the Steamboat side would probably be much easier.
Attachments
PXL_20210821_164722087.jpg
PXL_20210821_164722087.jpg (280.88 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
cougar
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I went up the standard route and that northern subsummit looked loose and not something enjoyable. Lots of loose rock in the range, at least standard route is solid. Seems like most of the north end is gentle terrain. Any bushwhacking is arduous, between deadfall and thick swamp vegetation. From north park maybe a little less thick undergrowth but there were fires on that side. I think the red dirt pass trail is accessible from the east.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

This is a highly underrated beautiful area and this time of year is so spectacular with the colors. I went up Zirkels south ridge from Gilpin trail/lake. Sure it was loose but enjoyable. From Zirkel I connected to Flattop Mountain and that too was an enjoyable hike. I came down Gold Creek trail and completed the Zirkel Circle. It was a long day and I began and ended by headlamp but it was very rewarding. If all you want to do is hike Zirkel you could go up Gold Creek to Red Dirt trail and avoid any bushwhacking or looseness but this is all on the south side of the mountain. Also I thought the Gilpin Trail was much prettier than Gold Creek so I would consider an out n back via Gilpin at 10,700’
cougar
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

here's a couple pictures of the north ridge. If you do end up going, avoid the gullies and loose slopes. Very scenic and special area as mentioned.

north subsummit seen from summit :
DSC05762.JPG
DSC05762.JPG (86.48 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
ridge from below :
DSC05769.JPG
DSC05769.JPG (92.06 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I agree ^^^ it is a stunning yet overlooked area of the state, probably because there aren't any 14ers nearby. I did Park Range highpoint Zirkel and Sawtooth Range highpoint Big Agnes from the Slavonia Trailhead a few years ago and headed down the road to the Diamond Park Trailhead for Sierra Madre Range highpoint Buck Mountain South. You could easily get all three on a long weekend, even if you're slow like me. Shared Zirkel with just one guy (my hiking buddy that day) and had Agnes and Buck all to myself. I have not looked at the north ridge of Zirkel but that tiny summit sure seemed pretty exposed in that direction, from what I remember.