Mt. of the Holy Cross - Snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
marcusmartin
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. of the Holy Cross - Snow?

Post by marcusmartin »

Hi all - I know snow has fallen this week in the Eagle/Vail area. I'm wondering, has anyone has hiked the standard route and/or summited Mt. of the Holy Cross on or after September 28? I'm thinking of heading up soon but want to see whether there is any snow or ice on the route? Pictures would be awesome too! Thanks, Marcus
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. of the Holy Cross - Snow?

Post by Scott P »

There is almost surely some snow on the peak, but on the standard route I don't think it should pose that much a problem if you take proper footwear. I'd suggest take traction just in case, buy it may or may not be needed.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
RckyMntnHgh
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. of the Holy Cross - Snow?

Post by RckyMntnHgh »

I agree with the traction suggestion. I saw light snow covering it looking up from Cross Creek trail today. Looks like some heavier patches in the cols. (I tried attaching a pic but received an error message that the file is too large. Pm me with an em address and I will be glad to forward it.)