Wetterhorn/uncompahgre peak conditions (snow?)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Maricopa Mountaineer
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Wetterhorn/uncompahgre peak conditions (snow?)

Post by Maricopa Mountaineer »

Hey all,

I've been planning on hiking Wetterhorn (via the southeast ridge) and connecting the hike to Uncompahgre on Oct 10th. I was wondering how much snow is up there already and if you'd think Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre would be feasible given the current conditions?

From what Ive gathered (very little reports on Wetterhorn) there is a little bit of snow already but I have microspikes... would it be possible with just microspikes?

My backup hikes would be Redcloud and Sunshine or possibly Sneffels.

Many thanks!
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wetterhorn/uncompahgre peak conditions (snow?)

Post by angry »

I went up Matterhorn yesterday and did not use spikes. Saw peeps on both Wetterhorn and Uncompaghre so hopefully they will chime in but i’d imagine similar conditions to what I experienced.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wetterhorn/uncompahgre peak conditions (snow?)

Post by two lunches »

redcloud was quite snowy on saturday, as well. spikes aren’t necessary but certainly helpful
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis