San Luis peak conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikekubicek
Trip Reports (0)

San Luis peak conditions

Post by mikekubicek »

Does anyone happen to know if San Luis has any snow? If so, how much? I am considering going up on Saturday.

Thanks
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: San Luis peak conditions

Post by Scott P »

I drove by it yesterday. The north facing have snow above 12,000-12,500 feet while the south facing slopes are snow free.

As for snow depth; I have no idea because I just passed through.

Edit: It could have snowed last night too.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Not san luis, but people that hiked higher peaks around lake city last weekend reported about 4 to 5 inches up high.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

ltlFish99 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:07 pm Not san luis, but people that hiked higher peaks around lake city last weekend reported about 4 to 5 inches up high.
Yep, but by Monday mid-day it was maybe 2" on the Northern aspects overall, with a deeper spot here and there where the sun didn't hit it. Around Lake City, Northern aspects got the snow, there was basically no snow on the Southern aspects at the start of the weekend.
dfeezell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dfeezell »

Bump for Spring 2022. Anyone know recent conditions on the South Ridge route from the Creede side?
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

dfeezell wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:49 pm Bump for Spring 2022. Anyone know recent conditions on the South Ridge route from the Creede side?
A climb of nearby peaks in the La Garitas by a friend and NOAA snow depth estimates indicate very little snow, but of course grain and salt and all, since that’s not direct evidence.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Actually, now the NOAA estimates indicate no snow…

This summer is gonna be f**king rough man.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

-wren- wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:21 pm Actually, now the NOAA estimates indicate no snow…

This summer is gonna be f**king rough man.
out of the top 10 years with the most severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings in Colorado, seven of those years were La Niña years and three of them were El Niño years... so if you're a science and statistics person, the odds are in our favor that this year (La Niña) might bring an abundance of monsoon weather, but it's certainly not guaranteed soo

y'all please, PLEASE pray for rain.

if you're not spiritual, please WISH for rain.

if you're in the "wish in one hand, sh*t in the other" club, please do whatever it is you do when you don't want the entire state to burn to a crisp this summer
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

I summited 13,402, Phoenix, and 13015 Wednesday the 25th via Eddysville TH. The San Luis group has little snow. I ran into no snow of any consequence, the snow I came across was from the last storm. I wore gaiters on some ridge sections where the snow was no more than knee deep in between talus, no traction. I would say those looking for fairly snow free peaks should consider the San Luis group. I hope the pictures help.
Attachments
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 944 times
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg (76.44 KiB) Viewed 944 times
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 944 times
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Nick, did you happen to look south towards Wolf Creek Pass? Was thinking of running the CDT from there hoping there's a better chance it's clear
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Hopefully these 2 pictures will help.
Attachments
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg (299.54 KiB) Viewed 776 times
thumbnail.jpeg