Should I be concerned? Planning a hike in the Evans Wilderness

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Should I be concerned? Planning a hike in the Evans Wilderness

Post by 12ersRule »

I'm planning on hitting up Royal Mountain, Meridian Hill and some other points in the south Mt Evans Wilderness. However, I saw that there's something called the Harris Park Shooting Range.

Is it popular? Should I put these off to a weekday? Is there relative peace to be had on the summits of Royal, Meridian, Rosedale?

I know that I've had a bad time before on Squaw Mtn and peaks like San Luis near Co Springs because of repeated gunfire.

Thanks.
ShouldIBeConcerned.PNG
ShouldIBeConcerned.PNG (231.51 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Should I be concerned? Planning a hike in the Evans Wilderness

Post by Tornadoman »

It isn't quite as close to the shooting range as you will be, but I have been up the Tanglewood Trail twice from the Deer Creek TH (both times on weekends) and don't recall hearing a single gunshot.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

the only time i went there with a friend (maybe 7-8 years ago?), he carried a loaded, chambered gun in his lap as we passed several tent-like structures on our way to the range. i've heard stories of meth labs in the area and strange, aggressive encounters with the locals from friends who refuse to shoot there anymore.

happy hiking!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

i went to that shooting range like 5-6 years ago. it was a mess and not used respectfully. trash and s**t everywhere.

i think CPW and the forest service started cracking down on it a bit, cleaning it up and keeping a closer eye on it.

harris1.JPG
harris1.JPG (188.25 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

shooting lanes are to the northeast/southwest

it's set up to shoot into hills, and there's a lot more hill between where people shoot and where you'd be

i personally wouldn't be too concerned

harris2.JPG
harris2.JPG (109.77 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
harris3.JPG
harris3.JPG (121.92 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

My friend Bill and I climbed Meridian and 11053 on an October Saturday in 2019 and had no trouble on this track. The road to our start point was in good shape and there appears to be quite a bit of off-road traffic.
102607551026MeridianCombined.gpx
(68.71 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Aim high to end high
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Dave, I’ve done all those without issues.

But I was with a Harris Park local. :mrgreen:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

LURE wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:57 am i think CPW and the forest service started cracking down on it a bit, cleaning it up and keeping a closer eye on it.
that's a relief!
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

My father in law used to live back there and I spent maybe a year of my life in this valley. They started a forest fire a few years ago from this range and on some days it sounded like automatic gunfire and people doing whatever

The sound fades as you hike any of the peaks you've mentioned and you'll hear it in the beginning of the meridian trail.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

You should be fine.
I live up that way. Hiked the area and know lots of others who hike it regularly. Weather has been good so no worry on access. Decent clearance recommended.

The range should be far enough away to avoid any issues. As for hearing it? Depends on winds, numbers, and ammo loads.
On weekends there could be plenty of yahoos. Then again, sometimes during the week, too. Yes, the place is not regulated and a bit sketchy. Who knows what someone will bring to shoot or shoot at. It can be scary to the uninitiated. Meth labs? Hah! That's a new one. Not unless its out of someone's house. As for locals, they're fine even if they are packing. Are you worried they're going to steal your granola bars? They're just armed. Not dangerous. I hope...

Contrary to what someone mentioned, the CPW and the forest service have NOT started cracking down on it. Cleaning it up and keeping a closer eye on it? That's funny. They won't go NEAR the area! Even Park County sheriff want nothing to do with it. The only people who clean it up are locals. That said, unless you're bent on causing trouble no one will bother you. They're out there doing their thing and you're doing yours. It is 'merica after all.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

:shock:
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I don't know dude... With a trailhead named slaughterhouse and a shootin range near by. Good luck.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Don't be a wuss. Its all good. Nothing to worry about.

You're bringing a jacket and helmet, right? I mean tactical ones. (Just kidding!)

You're not going to be near the range. Probably won't even know its up there.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.