Tenmile Range vs Elbert? Anyone wanna join?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aadi_duggal
Trip Reports (0)

Tenmile Range vs Elbert? Anyone wanna join?

Post by aadi_duggal »

I’m in Frisco till Tuesday, Wednesday the latest. I recently made a post about doing Capitol peak. A lot of people told me it wasn’t a good idea, so I instead did Little Bear Peak. We summited that, then did the Decalibron the next day. Well, we didn’t get Lincoln or Bross due to the whiteout conditions since we started at 3 pm, so I guess we did the “Deca”.

My legs are pooped from the last few days of hiking, but I was eyeing at either the tenmile range or Mt. Elbert for tomorrow. I don’t think I want to do the entire tenmile traverse because:
1. I only have one car
2. My buddy won’t be able to join me so I’d be alone.

I would like to do some of the fun ridgeline scrambling, but I only have a pair of micro spikes and trail runners.

Does anyone have any opinions on what could be more enjoyable? And if someone has strong opinions for the tenmile traverse and would like to join me for some of that, please hit me up!

I do really want to also somehow fit in Elbert so I can tag the state high point. But, I don’t know if that’s really all that worth it. But honestly, I really can’t decide at the moment!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Tenmile Range vs Elbert? Anyone wanna join?

Post by pbakwin »

It's easy to close the loop on the Tenmile Traverse using the free shuttle bus.
aadi_duggal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aadi_duggal »

pbakwin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:53 pm It's easy to close the loop on the Tenmile Traverse using the free shuttle bus.
Yea, I just don’t know about doing the entire thing if I’m going to be alone. It should be well within my capabilities, but it seems like a really long outing to do alone in the cold! That’s why I asked if anyone was interested in coming along. In that case, doing the whole thing is probably more of an accomplishment than tagging the state high point.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

pbakwin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:53 pm It's easy to close the loop on the Tenmile Traverse using the free shuttle bus.
Or the Peaks Trail! :twisted:
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

aadi_duggal wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:50 pm I’m in Frisco till Tuesday, Wednesday the latest. I recently made a post about doing Capitol peak. A lot of people told me it wasn’t a good idea, so I instead did Little Bear Peak. We summited that, then did the Decalibron the next day. Well, we didn’t get Lincoln or Bross due to the whiteout conditions since we started at 3 pm, so I guess we did the “Deca”.

My legs are pooped from the last few days of hiking, but I was eyeing at either the tenmile range or Mt. Elbert for tomorrow. I don’t think I want to do the entire tenmile traverse because:
1. I only have one car
2. My buddy won’t be able to join me so I’d be alone.

I would like to do some of the fun ridgeline scrambling, but I only have a pair of micro spikes and trail runners.

Does anyone have any opinions on what could be more enjoyable? And if someone has strong opinions for the tenmile traverse and would like to join me for some of that, please hit me up!

I do really want to also somehow fit in Elbert so I can tag the state high point. But, I don’t know if that’s really all that worth it. But honestly, I really can’t decide at the moment!
All the scrambling is from Peaks 1-4. Just run down miners creek, jump on Peaks and go back out to Frisco. 4 to 10 is 95% resort slogging.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Slawson405
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 116 3 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

You could check out Pacific’s west ridge, and add on Atlantic. Or maybe Helen to Father Dyer which is a mellow scramble, and add on Crystal. Both moderate days nothing crazy, but fun!
“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I haven’t done the Tenmile traverse, only Elbert. But if you’re into geographic high points and other similar things, I know Elbert was satisfying to get the high point of Colorado, let alone the Rocky Mountains. Decent views, too. But if you’re looking more for scrambling, Elbert’s probably not your best bet.