Looking for safety in numbers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vacas Valley
14ers: 48  8 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Looking for safety in numbers

Post by Vacas Valley »

Training for Orizaba. My Climbing partners are all busy this weekend, they are going to Orizaba as well. Just checking to see if anybody is interested in doing the Sherman six peak circuit.I haven’t decided yet on standard route trail head or Iowa Gulch trail head. But I am certain I will be at one of those trail heads Friday night for a good early start Saturday morning. Jump in the swimming pool if you are interested.
RyanOhNoPleaseStop
14ers: 25  5 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Looking for safety in numbers

Post by RyanOhNoPleaseStop »

You've inspired me, but unfortunately i have to work on saturday. I will be tracing your steps on Sunday tho!
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Out of curiosity, when are you doing Orizaba? I just got tickets for January.
Vacas Valley
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

Second week of December, Orizaba go time.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Too late to jump in the pool and I have other obligations this Saturday anyways but I'm curious which 6 you went after?

I've done pairs and trios in that area and once did a loop of 5 that I was sorely tempted to extend to 8 but decided to quit while I was ahead. One might feasibly do as many as 10 peaks in a brutally long day in that area (or I suppose even more if you're one of those ridge running peak monsters) but I'm struggling to see a natural group of 6 for which you would equally consider either trailhead...

(My post here is totally pointless, random curiosity - it just seems to my brain that 6 would appear to be a slightly unusual number to stop at and that, depending on which 6 you picked it seems like you would have a very strong preference for one trailhead or the other. But maybe that's just because I'm a sleep deprived nerd who's overlooking the obvious and/or oblivious to the standard convention).
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

daway8 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 pm Too late to jump in the pool and I have other obligations this Saturday anyways but I'm curious which 6 you went after?

I've done pairs and trios in that area and once did a loop of 5 that I was sorely tempted to extend to 8 but decided to quit while I was ahead. One might feasibly do as many as 10 peaks in a brutally long day in that area (or I suppose even more if you're one of those ridge running peak monsters) but I'm struggling to see a natural group of 6 for which you would equally consider either trailhead...

(My post here is totally pointless, random curiosity - it just seems to my brain that 6 would appear to be a slightly unusual number to stop at and that, depending on which 6 you picked it seems like you would have a very strong preference for one trailhead or the other. But maybe that's just because I'm a sleep deprived nerd who's overlooking the obvious and/or oblivious to the standard convention).
I almost posted wondering the same thing. From 4 mile I was thinking White Ridge, Gemini, Sherman, Sheridan, Peerless and Horseshoe.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Vacas Valley
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm
daway8 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 pm Too late to jump in the pool and I have other obligations this Saturday anyways but I'm curious which 6 you went after?

I almost posted wondering the same thing. From 4 mile I was thinking White Ridge, Gemini, Sherman, Sheridan, Peerless and Horseshoe.
Well, it’s a good thing I did not have any takers on this one, as I had to leave the Trail head last night on a family emergency. But to answer your questions, 4 mile trail head up Sherman, over to Gemini over to Dyer, retrace back over Sherman, Sheridan over to Peerless, Over to horseshoe, then back down to 4 mile trail head. From Iowa gulch, Ascend Dyer, To Gemini, to Sherman, to Sheridan, to Peerless, to horseshoe and make a loop of it.
RyanOhNoPleaseStop
14ers: 25  5 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by RyanOhNoPleaseStop »

Vacas Valley wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Well, it’s a good thing I did not have any takers on this one, as I had to leave the Trail head last night on a family emergency. But to answer your questions, 4 mile trail head up Sherman, over to Gemini over to Dyer, retrace back over Sherman, Sheridan over to Peerless, Over to horseshoe, then back down to 4 mile trail head. From Iowa gulch, Ascend Dyer, To Gemini, to Sherman, to Sheridan, to Peerless, to horseshoe and make a loop of it.
How were the trail head conditions? Will I have a hard time reaching the gate in a Honda civic? Or is the road already closed to 11,000ft
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Vacas Valley wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 am Well, it’s a good thing I did not have any takers on this one, as I had to leave the Trail head last night on a family emergency. But to answer your questions, 4 mile trail head up Sherman, over to Gemini over to Dyer, retrace back over Sherman, Sheridan over to Peerless, Over to horseshoe, then back down to 4 mile trail head. From Iowa gulch, Ascend Dyer, To Gemini, to Sherman, to Sheridan, to Peerless, to horseshoe and make a loop of it.
Ah, now I see... It's interesting how many different ways people string these peaks together. I did Dyer-Gemini-White Ridge-Sherman-Sheridan from Iowa and had considered continuing for Peerless-Horseshoe-Finnback Knob but instead did those three from Fourmile later on.

I've also done West Dyer-Evans-Dyer and just Dyer-Gemini-Sherman. That Dyer-Gemini saddle takes on an extremely ominous appearance if you hit it when it turns into a snow version of a knife edge but it's totally trivial if blown dry or just covered in a flat layer of snow.
Vacas Valley
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

Going to double back on this one. I will be camped out at Iowa Gulch this Friday night The 22nd. If anybody wants to join. Going to hit Dyer first then going across to hit all subsequent peaks till horseshoe then back down. My Orizaba team will be training by other means, I believe Climbing as many mountains as I can will put me in the mental, physical, logistical space I need to be successful.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Vacas Valley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 pm Going to double back on this one. I will be camped out at Iowa Gulch this Friday night The 22nd. If anybody wants to join. Going to hit Dyer first then going across to hit all subsequent peaks till horseshoe then back down. My Orizaba team will be training by other means, I believe Climbing as many mountains as I can will put me in the mental, physical, logistical space I need to be successful.
Are you open to more people on your Orizaba adventure or just looking for people to hike local peaks with you?
Vacas Valley
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:14 am
Vacas Valley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 pm Going to double back on this one. I will be camped out at Iowa Gulch this Friday night The 22nd. If anybody wants to join. Going to hit Dyer first then going across to hit all subsequent peaks till horseshoe then back down. My Orizaba team will be training by other means, I believe Climbing as many mountains as I can will put me in the mental, physical, logistical space I need to be successful.
Are you open to more people on your Orizaba adventure or just looking for people to hike local peaks with you?
Not really looking to recruit climbers for Orizaba this year. My training regimen dictates I climb big mountains with good mileage and good vertical gain Every Saturday until I leave for Mexico and I know my Climbing partners can Not swing that type of schedule. If anybody wants to join the Saturday trainings I’m more than happy to have you come along.
On a sidenote, if anybody has good suggestions training hikes I would be interested in that too.