Wrong GPX file for French/Frasco/Casco

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wintersage
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 68 2
Trip Reports (1)

Wrong GPX file for French/Frasco/Casco

Post by wintersage »

Seems like the GPX file provided of the route description page is incomplete.

This one: https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=2 ... type=13ers

Not sure if this is already known or not.

UPDATE: Operator error. Did not know that there are multiple segments in that GPX file and only saw the first one. It turns out that the GPX file provided is in fact, complete
Last edited by wintersage on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Wrong GPX file for French/Frasco/Casco

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

What do you mean by incomplete? You should see 4 different track segments in that file. The last segment does stop in the basin after coming off Casco but that's because it rejoins the ascent line (road).
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Anyone who can't do a simple road approach and ridge hike without relying on a GPX file needs to work on their navigation skills.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

This might help

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... bf57c?p=-1

I thought high clearance 4x4 should easily make it up to the basin.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Skimo95 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 am I thought high clearance 4x4 should easily make it up to the basin.
Modified, high-clearance maybe. After that first mile, the next crossing is very difficult and most vehicles have to stop there. In the route description trailhead paragraph, I suggest stopping there.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:49 am
Skimo95 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 am I thought high clearance 4x4 should easily make it up to the basin.
Modified, high-clearance maybe. After that first mile, the next crossing is very difficult and most vehicles have to stop there. In the route description trailhead paragraph, I suggest stopping there.
I did that creek crossing in 1992 with a stock Toyota 4x4 pickup, and it was very difficult then. The creek crossing is a lot worse now, and I wouldn’t attempt it again unless I had a winch to ensure I didn’t get stuck.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
wintersage
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 68 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wintersage »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:39 am What do you mean by incomplete? You should see 4 different track segments in that file. The last segment does stop in the basin after coming off Casco but that's because it rejoins the ascent line (road).
Ah yea, that's right. I only saw one segment, the first one, with the GPX software I used. Now I see there's 3 more, thanks!