"Sunlight Spire" LiDAR Elevation

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Re: "Sunlight Spire" LiDAR Elevation

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

These two LiDAR threads have been fascinating. As a person who is chipping away at the bicentennial peaks the first thing I thought of was now we can (possibly) find out which of the peaks 198-202 are the highest! I think all five were extrapolated peaks and not surveyed…. Also, since PT 13545 will - at some point - become a tri peak then which which peak falls off, Sundog or Jenkins? Or, possibly, they are both the same elevation within error. Anyway, that would all need to be figured out by someone more tech savvy than I am which is 99% of the population over the age of six.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

bdloftin77 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm Might be getting into the weeds too much, but unless we get field measurements of summit cairns and man-made wind-blocks on our high mountains, being picky about the height to within a few feet might have to factor in man-made summit rock structures. It'd be a subjective call as to whether one measures the highest point of the cairn (or natural pile of rocks?), or to a point near the cairn, or to a point near the curved wind-block rock formation. These are probably only a few feet high usually.

Sometimes a man-made wind-block formation is relatively obvious, such as below on the summit of Hesperus. This looks to be just over 2 ft high, but if the natural summit is hidden in the midst of the wall, it'd be hard to say.

In the grand scheme of things, man-made summit rock structures don't matter too much. Only if a peak is very close to being ranked/unranked, near an elevation threshold, or if we are trying to determine tie-breakers between bicentennials, etc would it be more important.
If we start counting man made structures, the new summit house on Pikes would bump that up a solid 60+ feet :lol:
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

bdloftin77 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:04 pm
mtn_nut wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:34 pm I'm interested if this affects some of the "close" 14ers like Sunshine and Grizzly peak.
Sunshine Peak: The highest point is 4269.2 m, or 14006.56 ft. In case that's recording a summit cairn, there are quite a few points nearby reading over 4268.5 m, or over 14,004.27 ft. Looks like Sunshine is safe! This area is in the same project area as Sunlight Spire. Vertical accuracy was required to be below 19.6 cm; actual results were 6-7 cm for non-vegetated areas.

Report: https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/index. ... 8/reports/
CO_Southwest_NRCS_2018_D18_Final_Project_Report.pdf

Huron Peak: The highest point is 4269.37 m or 14,007.12 ft. Similar to Sunshine, there are many nearby points at over 4268.5/14,004.27 ft. This project also used Geoid12B, and the LiDAR results had an accuracy of better than 10 cm (see page 21 of report; link below).

Report: https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/index. ... 9/reports/
CWCB_Montrose_Lidar_Technical_Report.pdf

Holy Cross: The highest point is 14,005.412, with many nearby above 14,004. Vertical error again is better than 10 cm (page 9), using Geoid18.

Report: https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/index. ... 0/reports/
140G0220F0113_CO_SanLuisJuanMiguel_2020_D20_WU_ID213146_Lidar_Mapping_Report.pdf
Thanks!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

aholle88 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:55 am
bdloftin77 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm Might be getting into the weeds too much, but unless we get field measurements of summit cairns and man-made wind-blocks on our high mountains, being picky about the height to within a few feet might have to factor in man-made summit rock structures. It'd be a subjective call as to whether one measures the highest point of the cairn (or natural pile of rocks?), or to a point near the cairn, or to a point near the curved wind-block rock formation. These are probably only a few feet high usually.

Sometimes a man-made wind-block formation is relatively obvious, such as below on the summit of Hesperus. This looks to be just over 2 ft high, but if the natural summit is hidden in the midst of the wall, it'd be hard to say.

In the grand scheme of things, man-made summit rock structures don't matter too much. Only if a peak is very close to being ranked/unranked, near an elevation threshold, or if we are trying to determine tie-breakers between bicentennials, etc would it be more important.
If we start counting man made structures, the new summit house on Pikes would bump that up a solid 60+ feet :lol:
On a sort of related topic, what about treed summits? Some of the soft ranked in county or wilderness lists for example are below treeline. Curious if the trees throw the elevation calcs off? Not sure how the LiDAR is affected by foliage.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

So am I as cool as the other Eli and TakeMeToYourSummit or not?
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:10 pm
On a sort of related topic, what about treed summits? Some of the soft ranked in county or wilderness lists for example are below treeline. Curious if the trees throw the elevation calcs off? Not sure how the LiDAR is affected by foliage.
Fortunately, in the filters there is a Ground class (usually class 2). If we turn that one on, then it filters out many unwanted points, including foliage and buildings. Sometimes it filters out a bit too many points for summits/saddles above treeline, so turning on Unclassified (class 1) can be helpful in those cases. For Sunlight Spire, class 2 filtered out the entire spire! Turning on class 1 enabled me to see the spire/summit block.

Below are some examples of some filtering results for a different summit. It's interesting to see how the LiDAR picks up the trees and the buildings.
Satellite Imagery
Satellite Imagery
Satellite.jpg (222.74 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Class 1 and 2 (Unassigned and Ground)
Class 1 and 2 (Unassigned and Ground)
Class1and2.jpg (373.6 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Class 2 (Ground Only)
Class 2 (Ground Only)
Class2.jpg (326.19 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Eli Watson wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm So am I as cool as the other Eli and TakeMeToYourSummit or not?
What does that even mean? As it relates to this thread.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:10 pm On a sort of related topic, what about treed summits? Some of the soft ranked in county or wilderness lists for example are below treeline. Curious if the trees throw the elevation calcs off? Not sure how the LiDAR is affected by foliage.
You end up with a blur of measurements ranging from the treetop leaves to the ground reflection. You can select the longest ones to be the ground.

This is pretty important in jungle archeology like the Mayas or Cambodia. (Or the US where forests have reclaimed abandoned farmsteads and villages.) Growth may completely hide buildings in aerial photographs. But enough lidar pings might penetrate to obtain topography.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

bdloftin77 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm Might be getting into the weeds too much, but unless we get field measurements of summit cairns and man-made wind-blocks on our high mountains, being picky about the height to within a few feet might have to factor in man-made summit rock structures.
LOJ.PNG
LOJ.PNG (75.94 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
I was wondering where West Eolus would come out, and I see it's at 299', just missing out.

Hmm, now I'm wondering about BoggyB heading up to the saddle and digging out a two-foot pit and requesting John to double check his work.
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

peter303 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:39 am
Chicago Transplant wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:10 pm On a sort of related topic, what about treed summits? Some of the soft ranked in county or wilderness lists for example are below treeline. Curious if the trees throw the elevation calcs off? Not sure how the LiDAR is affected by foliage.
You end up with a blur of measurements ranging from the treetop leaves to the ground reflection. You can select the longest ones to be the ground.

This is pretty important in jungle archeology like the Mayas or Cambodia. (Or the US where forests have reclaimed abandoned farmsteads and villages.) Growth may completely hide buildings in aerial photographs. But enough lidar pings might penetrate to obtain topography.
This other Peter has got it, lidar excels at foliage penetration. Some percent of incoming photons (20% in N. American forests, 5% in jungle) make it through canopy to the ground and a similar make it back up from the ground through the foliage. If you have a powerful laser and a sensitive detector you can clearly see the photons that are reflected by the ground underneath canopy. Here's an outstanding article about archeologists using it to discover lost cities in Central America:
https://www.newyorker.com/science/eleme ... lost-world
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

d_baker wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:43 am
Eli Watson wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm So am I as cool as the other Eli and TakeMeToYourSummit or not?
I've summited 73/74 of the "List of 74" Colorado 14ers as listed on this site, including the Unranked + Unnamed summits. The only one I'm missing is "Sunlight Spire".
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Eli Watson wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:19 pm
d_baker wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:43 am
I've summited 73/74 of the "List of 74" Colorado 14ers as listed on this site, including the Unranked + Unnamed summits. The only one I'm missing is "Sunlight Spire".
Well good think Sunlight Spire is under 14000’ now 👍
Be the best you that you can be.