Mental Health

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Mental Health

Post by hellmanm »

This topic is super important and I sometimes notice a decline in my mental health when the summer ends. I climb in large part because it forces me to confront a lot of the things I deal with in a healthy way (among other reasons). This time of year is the tough, since in the winter there are other things to do in the snow. In the spring it's easy to focus on training for future hikes/climbs. Just know that you're not alone and that a bunch of us deal with similar stuff.
Last edited by hellmanm on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

I really struggle in winter, increasingly so as I get older. One problem last winter that I ran into was I could ONLY motivate myself to go and do something if it was a big, epic objective. Going for a one mile jog in the neighborhood? Eh, not worth the effort it takes to get out of bed. Getting up at 2 AM to climb Mt. Yale or something got me really excited and I felt I could really get going. As winter went on, though, that wasn't really a sustainable schedule of exercise + getting sunlight (I probably only had 7 or 8 days in the mountains in calendar winter last year).

My advice for anyone that struggles similarly is to just bite the bullet and try to go outside at least for a little bit every day, even if the weather is terrible and nasty. It sounds like a silly thing, but just walking around near my house helped my mental health a ton. Don't underrate the power of sunlight !
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

For decades, this time of year was the absolute most exciting time for me.
My 2nd favorite day was the first day I could see that it had snowed in the mountains from Denver where I used to live.
My favorite day was the 1st day it snowed on me.
This was due to my extraordinary excitement that the thought of skiing would illicit.

A friend and I would always try to hit the first day they opened. Most of the time this was loveland or keystone.
There were several years when all that was open was 1 run, with a LOT of people on it, and just enough snow to actually be able to ski.
None of this was negative in the least, just being able to make turns on snow after what always felt like a long summer was just plain fun,.... lots of fun.
I still get excited about snow as it adds a wonderful beauty to the already beautiful mountains.
One if my favorite hikes is to blue lake by Sneffels. When it starts to snow, it lights up the mountains in an otherworldly manner. So, the hikes recently to blue lake have been delightful.
I am grateful that I have a healthy addiction to being in a forest, and a forest with snow is more enjoyable. This is good as the older I get, the less likely I am to go hammer steep moguls at a ski resort. I still enjoy it, but not as enthusiastic at all as I used to.
Anyway, I hike at least once a week, all year and this is quite a positive thing for me.
I look forward to hiking, enjoy the hike when I go, continue to enjoy the memories of the hike,
then repeat.
I also really like summer as my favorite thing to wear is shorts and a lightweight shirt. I enjoy modest goals in the outdoors and am still working on finishing the 14ers. One goal for next summer is the 4 pass loop. I have never hiked that much in one day, so I am excited about that particular adventure.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I'm dreading the time change this weekend and eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Winter Solstice. Once past the nadir of darkness there is hope and come March 13th, rebirth!

I don't mind the winter weather, I kind of enjoy it actually, I just don't like the short days. I'm pretty sure my wife and I will be snowbirds in retirement. Home base will be Colorado, but I see extended stays in sunnier places during the dark times.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:20 am I really struggle in winter, increasingly so as I get older. One problem last winter that I ran into was I could ONLY motivate myself to go and do something if it was a big, epic objective. Going for a one mile jog in the neighborhood? Eh, not worth the effort it takes to get out of bed. Getting up at 2 AM to climb Mt. Yale or something got me really excited and I felt I could really get going. As winter went on, though, that wasn't really a sustainable schedule of exercise + getting sunlight (I probably only had 7 or 8 days in the mountains in calendar winter last year).

My advice for anyone that struggles similarly is to just bite the bullet and try to go outside at least for a little bit every day, even if the weather is terrible and nasty. It sounds like a silly thing, but just walking around near my house helped my mental health a ton. Don't underrate the power of sunlight !
I can relate to this a lot - and not just in Winter! But I find the forcing the habit of getting out - even for that 1 mile jog pays dividends. Here's a good podcast on how light can really effect your day:

I took a second shift job last year and that just about crippled me. I thought I could work until 10, do all the things I wanted to do before going to sleep, sleep, then wake up early to enjoy all that sunshine, but that was completely wishful thinking. It's still hard to get up early, but it's a lot easier with good sleep. Even on the weekend, I had only one perfect, full day to do what I wanted to do, and that just wasn't enough to keep me not crazy.
shepherdkyle
14ers: 45  14 
13ers: 180 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shepherdkyle »

justiner wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:15 pm
benmangelsdorf wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:20 am I really struggle in winter, increasingly so as I get older. One problem last winter that I ran into was I could ONLY motivate myself to go and do something if it was a big, epic objective. Going for a one mile jog in the neighborhood? Eh, not worth the effort it takes to get out of bed. Getting up at 2 AM to climb Mt. Yale or something got me really excited and I felt I could really get going. As winter went on, though, that wasn't really a sustainable schedule of exercise + getting sunlight (I probably only had 7 or 8 days in the mountains in calendar winter last year).

I can relate to this a lot - and not just in Winter! But I find the forcing the habit of getting out - even for that 1 mile jog pays dividends. Here's a good podcast on how light can really effect your day:

I took a second shift job last year and that just about crippled me. I thought I could work until 10, do all the things I wanted to do before going to sleep, sleep, then wake up early to enjoy all that sunshine, but that was completely wishful thinking. It's still hard to get up early, but it's a lot easier with good sleep. Even on the weekend, I had only one perfect, full day to do what I wanted to do, and that just wasn't enough to keep me not crazy.
I'm an avid listener of Dr. Huberman and love his work. His non-dogmatic approach is refreshing. Getting outside, even if just for a short time, is beneficial. Case in point-went for a run today after work even though I had and still have work to do before tomorrow.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

I'm glad the OP started this thread. The complexity of the human brain and the emotions that it produces are incredible, but that also means it isn't so easy to keep things humming along smoothly sometimes, and there's no owner's manual! For me, I think my moods are less dependent on the time of year and more related to how things are going at work and in my personal life. I like the changes winter brings to the mountains: fewer crowds, beautiful snow scenes, the chilly bite of the wind in between the trees. Closer to home, on cold winter evenings I like to go for a walk and appreciate the more subdued, quiet feel that seems to accompany winter, plus the stars look really bright on cold, clear nights. I also like to admire the big snowstorms that visit on occasion, though they tend to keep me out of the mountains, at least until the roads clear. I can't claim to know the secret to perfect mental health, but staying aware of the seasonal rhythms of the natural world and other things that are bigger than me do seem to help calm me down. Getting out in nature is definitely a huge part of that.
shepherdkyle
14ers: 45  14 
13ers: 180 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shepherdkyle »

It's been great to see people share their experiences and what struggles they have and what they do to overcome them.

For myself, becoming a Nurse Practitioner in the age of COVID has been challenging. There are days you want to crawl in the stairwell and cry. It messes with your head and unfortunately has you sometimes say or do things you otherwise wouldn't say/do. 12 hour work days are the norm and leave you scrunched for time. Plus, coming home to an empty home is depressing at times after a long day. Having patients die alone is heartbreaking. Today, I sat with a patient whose spouse passed earlier this year. I don't think she's grieved his death yet because she hasn't had anyone to talk to because of social isolation. My faith, family, friends, and the mountains have been my saving grace. I also do a ton of reading and work to better myself. There's no one-size fits all or panacea. Like everything else, mental health is something that has to be conducted on a daily basis.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Winter and early dark is how I first discovered the beauty and fun of commuting around on bike, turning mundane activities like grocery shopping into little excursions and adventures. Discovered any season is good for that really but early dark does seem to put a slight damper on things. The active gotta stay active!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I like to spent time in the desert during the shoulder season in the fall. You can really extend your hiking season until skiing/riding picks up. Heading to Moab, UT for a backpacking trip around Thanksgiving.
I love lamp.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

November tends to be one of my less illustrious months. Fall colors and hiking season for the high peaks are over, and the scenery gets a bit too brown. The holiday season tends to be depressing for me along with the short days. Single (old) dude syndrome, feeling like time is running out.

Don’t know about y’all, but those outdoor highs are very short lived. Broader accomplishments bring me more satisfaction. Human relationships and the general inhumanity are an abyss. And in general having lived awhile, I’m deeply pessimistic and tend to expect self serving, selfish, low level behavior from people. I’m never disappointed as a result.

That said, I’m in better mental shape this year than last, despite all of life’s problems. :-D I hit rock bottom last October. Hopefully I can stay sane and find something to enjoy.
IG: jc_solitude
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

HikerGuy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:44 pm I'm dreading the time change this weekend and eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Winter Solstice. Once past the nadir of darkness there is hope and come March 13th, rebirth!
There is just a 30 day period between Standard Time and earliest sunset December 7. I try to fit in jogs after work and notice sunsets get later as December progresses.

The converse happens if you a morning exerciser. Latest sunrise is Jan 3.