Mental Health

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shepherdkyle
14ers: 45  14 
13ers: 181 22
Trip Reports (0)

Mental Health

Post by shepherdkyle »

As we approach the winter months of less sunlight and colder temps, it's worth mentioning the toll this can take on our mental health. Like everyone else here, I enjoy climbing in the mountains. It's an outlet, a reset button. A way to build yourself up by breaking yourself down. It can be hard to get out the door when it's dark and cold. The thought of also post-holing to the Twins' bullpen doesn't sound exhilarating. Some people take the winter off because it's harder and less safe. I suspect, but don't have any data to support this, that those folks who do take the winter off without an outlet suffer mentally to some degree. Even though this is only my second winter since moving to CO, I'm still active in the winter months. Safety should still be your #1 priority, but don't be afraid to ask for help if you want to get out. The other elephant in the room is that mental health issues don't just arise in the winter, they can always be there. Reach out to friends if you need help. Reach out to friends who you know struggle and offer help/support. One of the worst feelings is someone taking their own life because they didn't feel they could talk to anyone. There's probably a macho guy reading this thinking I'm a softie and maybe I am, but my guess is they've never received a phone call late at night by someone who was thinking about taking their life. Have fun, be safe. And as the stoics said "Memento Mori."

Rumi: "The cure for the pain is in the pain."
Jan van Tilburg
14ers: 51 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mental Health

Post by Jan van Tilburg »

:thumbup:
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Timely post. The wilderness truly is a reset. I myself had a poor mental health day today. In the midst of that I had a friend invite me for a climb this weekend. I declined. I think for me I find that the anticipation of a physically difficult day in the mountains during winter can be stressful though not always as bad as I made it out in my head ahead of time. Funny but not funny how sometimes the very thing we need is the thing our minds tell us not to do. There are of course plenty of lower elevation hikes and climbs that are safer and can still provide that mental reset we all need. I just have to get myself to the trailhead sometimes.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

shepherdkyle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 pm Reach out to friends if you need help. Reach out to friends who you know struggle and offer help/support.
You're assuming people have friends and a community to which they belong. A lot of depression and rage stems from being on the outside and feeling isolated and inadequate to have the things most others seem to take for granted: job, house, or a family of one's own. Time in the sunshine exercising does wonders, physically and mentally, but it can't change the basic reality with which some of us struggle.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Timely post indeed. I wrote this trip report a year ago thinking last winter was going to be the tough pandemic winter. I think this upcoming one is poised to be even tougher. Hopefully the messages in here help with some perspectives. I still come back to these often.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Part of the key to surviving the cold dark winter months is to get out there in the summer and do all you can.
Make the most out of prime season. This gives you something positive to reflect on when it is cold and dark.
I find the more I accomplish during the warm months, I feel better about doing nothing much during the winter.
This is true for climbing as well as many other aspects of life that are our priorities.
In other words, make hay while the sun shines.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I must be on the opposite side of most people. I moved to Colorado for winter, I like being in the mountains with just my partners. It is awesome when we go an entire hike and see no one else. The summers are way to crowded. Winter also has snowboarding and snowmobiling. If Colorado did not have snow I would look for another place to live. Hope everyone has a great winter, and you all find something to keep your mental health strong and healthy.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
shepherdkyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shepherdkyle »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:39 am
shepherdkyle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 pm Reach out to friends if you need help. Reach out to friends who you know struggle and offer help/support.
You're assuming people have friends and a community to which they belong. A lot of depression and rage stems from being on the outside and feeling isolated and inadequate to have the things most others seem to take for granted: job, house, or a family of one's own. Time in the sunshine exercising does wonders, physically and mentally, but it can't change the basic reality with which some of us struggle.
Definitely agree. It can be frustrating to feel like no one cares and that the world is out to get you. It can be hard to meet like minded individuals. That doesn't mean it's hopeless or impossible. Happy hours are a great community building event. Asking for a partner is also a way to meet other people here. Heck, my first post got zero replies asking for partners. While this was depressing, I didn't let it keep me down and instead reached out to someone I met a few months ago and we hiked this past weekend and as 2 people who typically go alone, we were quite pleased to hike with someone for a change. I'm sure we'll hike again in the near future.
shepherdkyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shepherdkyle »

Iguru wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 am Part of the key to surviving the cold dark winter months is to get out there in the summer and do all you can.
Make the most out of prime season. This gives you something positive to reflect on when it is cold and dark.
I find the more I accomplish during the warm months, I feel better about doing nothing much during the winter.
This is true for climbing as well as many other aspects of life that are our priorities.
In other words, make hay while the sun shines.
I can identify with the "go while the going is good" mentality. To me it's also a matter of remembering that tomorrow is never guaranteed and that I don't want to miss an opportunity before it's too late. Memento Mori.
shepherdkyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shepherdkyle »

randalmartin wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:37 pm Timely post. The wilderness truly is a reset. I myself had a poor mental health day today. In the midst of that I had a friend invite me for a climb this weekend. I declined. I think for me I find that the anticipation of a physically difficult day in the mountains during winter can be stressful though not always as bad as I made it out in my head ahead of time. Funny but not funny how sometimes the very thing we need is the thing our minds tell us not to do. There are of course plenty of lower elevation hikes and climbs that are safer and can still provide that mental reset we all need. I just have to get myself to the trailhead sometimes.
Sorry to hear you had a bad mental health day. Sometimes the first step is the hardest. Glad to hear your friend wanted to get out with you! That’s worth something.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

While I do find winter beautiful in many ways, I would be in a deep state of hibernation if possible from around now through around late February/early March.
I would only wake up maybe 3 or 4 days to enjoy things like winter northern lights, meteor showers, and my mom's birthday.
Keep in mind hibernation slows metabolism and hence ageing to a crawl. (at least in my mind) :wink:
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Ulla
14ers: 37  17 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ulla »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:39 am
I can relate to this. Mental health is dependent on a lot of things and can range from anxiety to depression (from so-called minor to extreme). It's difficult to admit I have mental health issues because to look at me and talk to me, one would never know. It's not like I can't function in the world, but I certainly struggle with anger, not feeling like anyone understands me or hears me (being heard is so important). It's tough for sure. Writing it out in a journal is very good for me. Gets it out of my head and onto paper (I actually need to journal more often). I'm happy to listen to anyone that wants to reach out. I'm pretty good at listening. My heart goes out to anyone who struggles with any kind of angst. It's isolating and frustrating. Carol