Colorado LiDAR Findings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Colorado LiDAR Findings

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Camden7 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm So this list is great for the centennials but it seems like on the bicentennials most peaks haven’t been updated… is that because there isn’t data yet, LoJ isn’t done working through it, the peak elevations didn’t change, or what? Thanks.
Far as I can tell the bicentennial list has been updated. Wood and Powell no longer appear and Rosalie is now #200 for example.

Are you saying that the individual peak pages don't have the right elevations?
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Let’s use cooper creek peak as an example, but many are like this. On the list, they show the same elevation as they were given before all the LiDAR stuff, and when you go to the page it does not show the little green “(LiDAR) designation. I am asking if this is because they don’t have info on these yet.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Camden7 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:20 pm Let’s use cooper creek peak as an example, but many are like this. On the list, they show the same elevation as they were given before all the LiDAR stuff, and when you go to the page it does not show the little green “(LiDAR) designation. I am asking if this is because they don’t have info on these yet.
Work has been done to define the new Bicentennial list with certainty - but not all peaks have been updated. Just the ones required to get the new list, and then lots of odds and ends as new data rolls in and people put in the work.
Camden7
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Ah makes sense. Thanks Soren.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Trotter wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:34 pm
9patrickmurphy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pm
bdwyer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:49 pm This is all confusing. I went through the link and checked (thank you) and it showed I had 10 more uncompleted peaks than I had at the end of last year...
Hey, you're in good company. Even Gerry Roach isn't a finisher anymore!
How so? Didn't he do all the 13ers also?
According to this page, currently only Mike Garratt and Ken Nolan have finished all the LiDAR 13ers. Ken actually must have just climbed his last peak becuase he wasn't at 584 a couple weeks ago. Some 13ers got added, which Mr Roach hadn't climbed, that's all. He's still a "map" finisher, just not a "LiDAR" finisher. Welcome to the pedant convention, I hope you're having fun!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

So this site has Sunlight Spire as a 14er, but LoJ LIDAR lists it as 13996. Still unranked but all the subpeaks are listed.
Screenshot_20220601-211917_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220601-211917_Chrome.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

-wren- wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:20 pm
Camden7 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:20 pm Let’s use cooper creek peak as an example, but many are like this. On the list, they show the same elevation as they were given before all the LiDAR stuff, and when you go to the page it does not show the little green “(LiDAR) designation. I am asking if this is because they don’t have info on these yet.
Work has been done to define the new Bicentennial list with certainty - but not all peaks have been updated. Just the ones required to get the new list, and then lots of odds and ends as new data rolls in and people put in the work.
Yep. And due to having both a full time job and a new daughter in the picture, I don’t foresee leaps and bounds of progress on my end. If anyone wants to chip away at the 13ers or other peaks, they’re more than welcome to. The 13ers are a lot easier than other peaks due to having no trees on the summit, and often no trees or roads on their saddles.
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

cougar wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:33 pm So this site has Sunlight Spire as a 14er, but LoJ LIDAR lists it as 13996. Still unranked but all the subpeaks are listed.

Screenshot_20220601-211917_Chrome.jpg
On that note, NW Lindsey is 12’ shy of 14,000.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Just because LOJ went live doesn't mean the analysis is done - it just means the site re-programming is done. There is an absolute ton of work yet to be done just in CO. Thousands of peaks and peak candidates to analyze. Some summit locations will still move. Elevations and prominences will change. We don't even have full lidar coverage for the state yet. And it's summer, so we're climbing now.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 pm
Trotter wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:34 pm
9patrickmurphy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Hey, you're in good company. Even Gerry Roach isn't a finisher anymore!
How so? Didn't he do all the 13ers also?
According to this page, currently only Mike Garratt and Ken Nolan have finished all the LiDAR 13ers. Ken actually must have just climbed his last peak becuase he wasn't at 584 a couple weeks ago. Some 13ers got added, which Mr Roach hadn't climbed, that's all. He's still a "map" finisher, just not a "LiDAR" finisher. Welcome to the pedant convention, I hope you're having fun!
Ah I guess it makes sense some high 12ers moved into 13er status.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

Anyone know when this site will be updated to reflect the new rankings? Sorry if it's already been asked.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

This year, for sure.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs