Colorado LiDAR Findings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RadioJay
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado LiDAR Findings

Post by RadioJay »

Haven’t seen anything about South Elbert in this thread so I’ll ask, has anyone revisited the 300’ rule for South Elbert? Contour lines show somewhat less than 300’ to the saddle (about 254’) but it sure seemed like more than 300’ last time I did it. Maybe I was just tired.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:26 am
Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:46 am I was on that trip, that picture was coming off the NE ridge in an attempt to traverse high to Precipice. I may have some other pictures at home, the block in question would be to the west of the currently accepted summit.
supranihilest wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:35 am
Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:46 am I was on that trip, that picture was coming off the NE ridge in an attempt to traverse high to Precipice. I may have some other pictures at home, the block in question would be to the west of the currently accepted summit.
Yep, the block is somewhere in the northwest quadrant when standing on the summit. The photo was taken north of the summit looking roughly south, so the block is about west-northwest of the summit.
Thanks, guys! That'll be helpful. There's at least a chance lidar would pick up the top of the ridge. Might miss some parts as well though, if it's similar to W Eolus.
Here a couple of more pictures, one of the block in question from standing on the summit, and another of the ridiculously sketchy looking notch one would have to traverse through to ascend the western summit. Left side of the gap is the sketchy alternate summit candidate that we all hope is lower, "true" summit area is to the right and looks higher from this angle. You would have to ascend a sketchy looking conglomerate wall to an exposed ridge with boulders glued on with volcanic mud. The narrowness is not clear in the summit photo, but the boulders are. I haven't been up there in 9 years, so I can't remember how close the two felt in elevation.

21-FSummit03-West.JPG
21-FSummit03-West.JPG (133.11 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
33-FortressSummitGap01.JPG
33-FortressSummitGap01.JPG (233.42 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:26 am
supranihilest wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:35 am

Yep, the block is somewhere in the northwest quadrant when standing on the summit. The photo was taken north of the summit looking roughly south, so the block is about west-northwest of the summit.
Thanks, guys! That'll be helpful. There's at least a chance lidar would pick up the top of the ridge. Might miss some parts as well though, if it's similar to W Eolus.
Here a couple of more pictures, one of the block in question from standing on the summit, and another of the ridiculously sketchy looking notch one would have to traverse through to ascend the western summit. Left side of the gap is the sketchy alternate summit candidate that we all hope is lower, "true" summit area is to the right and looks higher from this angle. You would have to ascend a sketchy looking conglomerate wall to an exposed ridge with boulders glued on with volcanic mud. The narrowness is not clear in the summit photo, but the boulders are. I haven't been up there in 9 years, so I can't remember how close the two felt in elevation.

21-FSummit03-West.JPG

33-FortressSummitGap01.JPG
Thanks for the extra pics, Mike. Let's hope that the current summit remains the summit, that ridge looks ludicrously sketchy and borderline suicidal. Quick note since none of the pics so far show the climb down into the notch, but I'm 99% sure that the notch to the western summit isn't terribly deep, a few body lengths down and then up the wall shown in Mike's second photo. The rock is obviously garbage and the exposure is deadly, but my point is that it's not a several-hundred-foot-tall free standing tower. Aren't all 13er climbers glad I brought this up? :lol:
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Y'all dramatic. It's just a little more time and effort and chest beating.
P1020176.JPG
P1020176.JPG (166.25 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Trying to make out the middle finger flipping peakbaggers off. Haven't found it yet, pretty sure it's there though. Maybe the ol' double-barreled salute?
Pre.JPG
Pre.JPG (166.21 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

KentonB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 pm
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:31 am Some results:

El Paso and Teller county soft-ranks have been analyzed!

The two new ranked peaks in El Paso are Cascade Mountain (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/3720) and Goat Mountain (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/4710). The two new Teller peaks are Sentinel Point (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/1277) and The Crags (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/2479).
Thanks Ben! It looks like I made the right call climbing Cascade, Goat, and Sentinel a few years back! I'll have to bring a ladder to get The Crags. Out of curiosity, do you know which of the 3 "bumps" on Goat Mountain is the highest? I did all 3 to make sure, but I've always wondered. I'm a little disappointed that Point 9500 wasn't ranked. I've already completed the grid on that one.

Also, I noticed for 8100 (unranked El Paso peak), the Lidar prominence is 267'... which is exactly what I calculated using GPS in my LoJ Trip Report... Woo Hoo! Called it back in 2012! ;-)
Good call! Though I finished the El Paso interpolated-ranked summits in 2018, I only just completed the ranked ones this summer (on Goat Mountain, though my last soft-ranked was Grey Rock). I'm glad Sentinel is ranked. It definitely looks like a distinct mountain, and has great views to the west. The Crags fortunately isn't too far of a trek to even just scout it out and look at possible routes. We didn't look at the west side at all (though it's probably pretty steep). We ascended the east side.

If you go to John's lidar page, click on the underlined "Lidar Elevation" and "Lidar Saddle" links to view the locations on the map, as well as the centered coordinates.
https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Is it possible to see LiDAR maps outside of the United States?
Be the best you that you can be.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:18 pm Nice! And Buckskin is a much better ski from the western summit. :)
I concur. Centennial skiers skied the NW couloir dropping into Arkansas/Tweto drainage. I skied that line too in a big snow year (2019) and distinctly remember slogging to the standard summit of Buckskin and back, thinking it was quite an elevation gain (looks like an extra 600+ ft RT). Was pretty time consuming and I was stressing out. Thankfully as the line is NW facing, delayed start to ski didn't really matter. I have a TR on Buckskin ski here.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

supranihilest wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:19 pm Ben, would you mind also checking the true summit of "Fortress Peak"?
I took a look at the lidar data from The National Map. Unfortunately, there's a big "no data" area where that ridge is. However, near the very end of the ridge, it looks like it caught a summit at 38.0981, -107.5311 at 13,241.5'. This area is definitely lower than the main summit area where you guys were. If you think this spot that the lidar caught was the highest point on the ridge, then you guys indeed made it to the highest point.

On the main summit area, lidar shows the highest point at 13,246' at 38.09783, -107.53059.
Fortress with washed out ridge
Fortress with washed out ridge
Fortress.png (655.75 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Unfortunately, the most recent lidar for Bartlett from TNM is from Sept/Oct 2019, so it isn't much help. It did show an interesting profile.

If LoJ's note is correct and the summit was mined flat at 13,380' (4/2020), then the lidar data is definitely out-of-date.

I did catch the saddle at 12,893'. So when it's mined to below 13,193', it'll no longer be ranked.

The light blue 13,243' area below is almost completely flat.
Bartlett Late Summer 2019
Bartlett Late Summer 2019
Bartlett 2019.png (597.86 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I found the high point of Huerfanito to be the eastern tower at 37.58476,-105.46391, at 13,083'.

The Douglas county soft-ranks have been analyzed! Only Eagle Mountain (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/5704) was found to be ranked. John updated the four former soft-ranked peak's peak pages as a test run. He'll wait on updating the El Paso and Teller peak pages til the 10ers through 12ers have been analyzed, but the results do show up on his lidar page.

Huerfano county is also complete. 13,555 (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/268) and 9156 (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/3974) are ranked.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

bdloftin77 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:26 pm Unfortunately, the most recent lidar for Bartlett from TNM is from Sept/Oct 2019, so it isn't much help. It did show an interesting profile.

If LoJ's note is correct and the summit was mined flat at 13,380' (4/2020), then the lidar data is definitely out-of-date.

I did catch the saddle at 12,893'. So when it's mined to below 13,193', it'll no longer be ranked.

The light blue 13,243' area below is almost completely flat.

Bartlett 2019.png
This is consistent with my trip report. The northwest high point is the large pile of mining debris and the southeast 13,344' point is the nasty tower in the TR. The previous "razor fang" that old schoolers are familiar with is officially gone. For those hoping to wait out the mine until Bartlett becomes unranked you might be waiting a long time - the more they mine down the wider the summit plateau becomes and the longer it takes them to continue mining down. I don't know what their rate of mountaintop removal is but I wouldn't hold my breath.
bdloftin77 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 pm
supranihilest wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:19 pm Ben, would you mind also checking the true summit of "Fortress Peak"?
I took a look at the lidar data from The National Map. Unfortunately, there's a big "no data" area where that ridge is. However, near the very end of the ridge, it looks like it caught a summit at 38.0981, -107.5311 at 13,241.5'. This area is definitely lower than the main summit area where you guys were. If you think this spot that the lidar caught was the highest point on the ridge, then you guys indeed made it to the highest point.

On the main summit area, lidar shows the highest point at 13,246' at 38.09783, -107.53059.

Fortress.png
Do you mind explaining what we're looking at on this one? What's the scale (to help understand where the block might be in relation to the summit, and the size of the features shown)? Which of the red dots is the summit as found by your analysis (or are those all the same elevation), and where's the summit as previously known? Do those match? Is the "no data" area that large white trapezoid shaped area northwest/up and left of the summit/main cluster? Thanks for doing this work, Ben!