Sopris in current/winter conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Sopris in current/winter conditions

Post by davebks »

Hi, I was thinking about climbing Sopris this weekend. A ranger in Glenwood said it's pretty snowy up there and recommended winter gear (crampons, etc).
My friend who lives nearby sent me a pic and its definitely had some snow.

Any thoughts on climbing it in winter conditions? Doable? I haven't climbed it in summer so I have no base of comparison.

Thanks
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sopris in current/winter conditions

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

Prince Creek Rd may be closed and gated already. Then you would be hiking a LONG LONG day to make it to Lake Thomas and up. Did the rangers mention if it was open?.
I only have hiked it in the Spring/Summer and seen skiers come down when the road has reopened but yes, Winter gear is mandatory up there and the route is not safe in the Winter.
Never,never give up!.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes it's doable this time up year and I have been up there in early December. If the road is still open it can be done in a long day, but if not an overnighter would be better or even required for most.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

Prince Creek road is still open, gates close Dec 1.
Go prepared for winter conditions but you may only need spikes, it's not super snowy right now but it's hard to gauge what the ridge trail is going to look like. It's class one, you're not going to fall off the edge of anything unless you try, but it is a solid day.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Someone just sent me this picture of the ridge from a few days ago. Looks doable. I’ll probably end up backpacking to the lake and camping there. Instead of doing it all in one shot. Hopefully the weather holds. Looks like a little bit of a storm coming through this weekend. Good chance to test out some winter gear. Thanks for all the replies
Attachments
A932D459-4F31-4F75-97A6-A07FEB697BC2.jpeg
A932D459-4F31-4F75-97A6-A07FEB697BC2.jpeg (213.15 KiB) Viewed 603 times