Declassifying a 14er: What It Takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Declassifying a 14er: What It Takes

Post by Tornadoman »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm The standard route on KC goes over Challenger Point, so for most people it won't really change anything. I guess it being unranked could spur more people to go via the East Ridge from Columbia Point.
Kit Carson via Columbia Point used to be the standard route. Based on personal experience, I'd say that climbing Kit Carson via Challenger is much easier than climbing it via Columbia Point.
This would be my general thought as well. I planned the East Ridge Route once, but bailed due to questionable weather at Columbia Point (good decision as it turned out). I think the majority of people going for the 14ers these days are planning to go for the 58 list, and will probably continue to go via Willow Lake/Challenger.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:37 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:44 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm The standard route on KC goes over Challenger Point, so for most people it won't really change anything. I guess it being unranked could spur more people to go via the East Ridge from Columbia Point.
I doubt it will force many more people to do the East Ridge route to Kit Carson since that increases the difficulty a lot.

I’m a Challenger lover, not hater, but it would take me just a couple of minutes to demote it on the site and go from 53/58 to 52/58
Personally I don't really hate Challenger that much either, and visiting Willow Lake is certainly worthwhile as well.

Curiosity question Bill, what are your plans for updating lists as this Lidar data comes out? You mention that Challenger could be changed very quickly, but there are a fair amount of changes to the 13er list.... Are you planning to wait until all the peaks have Lidar data analyzed, and then do one big 13er list update?
During winter, I will likely take a look at John’s data and make some updates to the peak lists on 14ers.com. John is about the most authoritative source for CO peak lists now so if he comes up with an updated list of ranked 13ers, etc., I’m in.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:44 pm I’m a Challenger lover, not hater, but it would take me just a couple of minutes to demote it on the site and go from 53/58 to 52/58
Ahh, the beauty and simplicity of the ranked or named 58 list.
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:11 pm John is about the most authoritative source for CO peak lists now so if he comes up with an updated list of ranked 13ers, etc., I’m in.
Great to hear!
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

-wren- wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 am sooo fun fact! With new LiDar technology, we are getting much more reliable info on elevation and prominence. A new extremely difficult ranked 12er, lots of ranked peaks below 14k getting classified or declassified. Challenger might not be ranked, bross still is :( you can look at new info here: https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php ... rYJU19ztFU
Which one is the new extremely difficult 12er? I could not discern it from that list, albeit quite the cursory look.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Say we do find out that Challenger should be unranked. Would it be easier to add rock to the summit or dig out the saddle to give it enough prominence?

Asking for a friend.
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

handonbroward wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 pm Which one is the new extremely difficult 12er? I could not discern it from that list, albeit quite the cursory look.
The Castles East
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Dignus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:29 pm Say we do find out that Challenger should be unranked. Would it be easier to add rock to the summit or dig out the saddle to give it enough prominence?

Asking for a friend.
I dunno, is it easy to bring a big rock the correct size as to not roll off all the way to the summit or to mine through a popular route? You tell me.
Be the best you that you can be.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

handonbroward wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 pm
-wren- wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 am sooo fun fact! With new LiDar technology, we are getting much more reliable info on elevation and prominence. A new extremely difficult ranked 12er, lots of ranked peaks below 14k getting classified or declassified. Challenger might not be ranked, bross still is :( you can look at new info here: https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php ... rYJU19ztFU
Which one is the new extremely difficult 12er? I could not discern it from that list, albeit quite the cursory look.
The Castles East - a rotten spire of West Elk Breccia that likely hosts X rated rock and is definitely sustained 5th class. It was missing contours - turns out it has 400+ feet of prominence, I don't remember the exact number.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Salient wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 am
Dignus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:29 pm Say we do find out that Challenger should be unranked. Would it be easier to add rock to the summit or dig out the saddle to give it enough prominence?

Asking for a friend.
I dunno, is it easy to bring a big rock the correct size as to not roll off all the way to the summit or to mine through a popular route? You tell me.
a monolith would be a better choice.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:21 pm
Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Kit Carson via Columbia Point used to be the standard route. Based on personal experience, I'd say that climbing Kit Carson via Challenger is much easier than climbing it via Columbia Point.
This would be my general thought as well. I planned the East Ridge Route once, but bailed due to questionable weather at Columbia Point (good decision as it turned out). I think the majority of people going for the 14ers these days are planning to go for the 58 list, and will probably continue to go via Willow Lake/Challenger.
That route is really a fun route from South Colony Lakes. It also allows one climb with camping gear to get 5 14ers and a couple 13s. I would probably do it again.