Which is your least favorite/most hated 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which is your least favorite/most hated 14er?

Mt. Antero
6%
Mt. Bierstadt
No votes
Mt. Bross
22%
Mt. Cameron
6%
Challenger Point
6%
Culebra Peak
4%
Mt. Elbert
1%
Mt. Evans
5%
Little Bear Peak
4%
Pikes Peak
10%
Mt. Princeton
18%
Quandary Peak
1%
Mt. Shavano
2%
Mt. Sherman
4%
Other
13%

Total votes: 105
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Which is your least favorite/most hated 14er?

Post by supranihilest »

Anyone who says Bross either needs to avoid like half of the 13ers or climb half of the 13ers. There are tons that make Bross look like a sidewalk in the sky.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am
summitrunner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 am Did Harvard to Columbia in 2011, and Columbia was awful coming down. Is it any better? I hated it more than Bross.
yes- but there is still about 700-800' of what i would lovingly refer to as "character building" above the newly constructed CFI route.
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:44 am
greenonion wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 am
The one very cool thing (to me) coming down Columbia is viewing that huge run out path and impact area of a past avy or water event (probably avy) that fanned out and knocked down a bunch of trees at the bottom. I love that kind of geomorphic evidence. Anyone else notice that while hiking Columbia standard route?
I camped at the end of the avy runoff. Snowclimbs are the best!
i camped nearby one time and i am ashamed to admit i didn't think about why it was there... guess it's time to go back again! \:D/
So much awe, wonder, and beauty. Can't take it all in at once!
Pretty amazing how much power and energy are in those things to take out those giant trees as if they were toothpicks.
When I was with supranihilest (for a brief moment) near "Lackawanna", we observed some other pretty amazing remnants of avy runoffs.
I should be on a mountain
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:56 am
stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am
summitrunner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 am Did Harvard to Columbia in 2011, and Columbia was awful coming down. Is it any better? I hated it more than Bross.
yes- but there is still about 700-800' of what i would lovingly refer to as "character building" above the newly constructed CFI route.
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:44 am

I camped at the end of the avy runoff. Snowclimbs are the best!
i camped nearby one time and i am ashamed to admit i didn't think about why it was there... guess it's time to go back again! \:D/
So much awe, wonder, and beauty. Can't take it all in at once!
Pretty amazing how much power and energy are in those things to take out those giant trees as if they were toothpicks.
When I was with supranihilest (for a brief moment) near "Lackawanna", we observed some other pretty amazing remnants of avy runoffs.
The avy runouts off "Lackawanna" and the peaks to the south are very impressive. I haven't driven up SH-82 this year so I don't know its current condition but I distinctly remember the way the road surface had been deeply scored and cut by the avalanches and debris dragged across the road. Mother Nature is scary sometimes! Thanks again for the ride up that morning!
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Sherman but I haven't done that many. Definitely beats the living daylights out of 1) sitting in the car or 2) hanging out in town. Lots of flowers near TH. Plus I want to do Sheridan, so I'd definitely do it again
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

Kind of leaning for Belford or Yale. Crowded trail with relentless descent with steep switchbacks all the way down to the car, for overall relatively uneventful views (somehow I cannot find a spectacular picture I took during these hikes, and I take lots of pictures on all my hikes!). Note that I have so far avoided similarly crowded peaks and routes incl. the Decalibron, Quandary, Pikes, and Evans, and my willingness to climb them is a meh (whenever I'm ready to complete them all, I guess!)

Despite my mixed feeling about Belford, I found Oxford much more enjoyable. Farther, less crowded, and a beautiful traverse from Belford.
I also surprisingly enjoyed Antero much more that I thought i would, despite hiking the whole jeep road all the way from the 2WD trailhead. Not crowded, stunning views, and interesting geology by the summit area.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Interesting how our experiences are opposite. I hiked up the jeep road a mile or so on Antero and hated it. Lots of traffic that day and some gasoline fumes though. Might have been fine otherwise if less crowded. I'll probably just try little brown's creek though. Liked Yale but no crowds. Had the summit to myself even. East Ridge really fun as far as I got the other time
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I went TH to TH Harvard/traverse/Columbia and really did not see the Columbia downclimb that big of a deal especially with the route improvements. A lot of mountains are not that fun but this wasn't special to me.

I voted for Antero due to the road and just boring hike up.