Most hated 13er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Most hated 13er?

Post by CoHi591 »

The other thread got me thinking. I would love to hear about people's most hated 13ers and why. I'm (I guess) planning on trying to climb them all eventually - but not with haste. I'm sure they provide for much more drama and frustration than the 14ers. I think I've read a lot of threads on the 13ers people love - let's hear about the worst ones you've done? I'll have to think about mine...
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most hated 13er?

Post by -wren- »

Personally, the only one ive really disliked so far is Pennsylvania. Flat and relatively boring. I’ve heard pretty bad things about South Lookout, El Punto and Finnegan in particular as far as rock quality is concerned.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Gladstone. My best thought afterwards was "well at least I'm not dead". Not exactly high praise.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:32 pm Gladstone. My best thought afterwards was "well at least I'm not dead". Not exactly high praise.
That's in my top 3.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

Can’t say I’ve HATED any of the peaks I’ve done - all of them have been better than a day of work! Of the less enjoyable ones I’d say Gilpin for sure as I failed to realize it’s one of those “really should do it with snow cover” peaks. I’d also say V10 was pretty grungy (and a long day) especially since I climbed the wrong sub-peak 100m N of the correct one then had to correct my mistake which was REALLY challenging…
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

The pile of crap also known as Gilpin Peak. If not for its fantastic summit ridge and nifty perch, Pilot Knob would be a contender, it was one of my favorites though.
Last edited by HikerGuy on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Teakettle. Abysmally steep 99.97% of the way up, a scree slope that led me to coin the term “gravalanche” to best describe it, and I f***ing hate rock climbing, so I was not a fan of the final pitch. Pretty sure I wept tears of joy when I finally reunited with my car at the end of the whole miserable affair...then wept for the usual emotional stimulus to do so when I remembered we’d be loading up said car pronto for the drive to Telluride that night and an attempt of Dallas, aka my second least favorite thirteener, the next day.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:35 pm
Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:32 pm Gladstone. My best thought afterwards was "well at least I'm not dead". Not exactly high praise.
That's in my top 3.
I'm with you, Gladstone was awesome! One of the better cents.

Agree with Geo, everything but the last bit of Teakettle was kinda miserable. Quail is also in that boat. But probably the least inspiring peak I've climbed has to be Clinton. Uninspiring views, a boring route, and somehow took me five separate trips to Montgomery reservoir to summit it.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:02 pm Teakettle. Abysmally steep 99.97% of the way up, a scree slope that led me to coin the term “gravalanche” to best describe it, and I f***ing hate rock climbing, so I was not a fan of the final pitch. Pretty sure I wept tears of joy when I finally reunited with my car at the end of the whole miserable affair...then wept for the usual emotional stimulus to do so when I remembered we’d be loading up said car pronto for the drive to Telluride that night and an attempt of Dallas, aka my second least favorite thirteener, the next day.
I thought Teakettle's scree was bad until I continued onto Potosi which seemed even worse! I might give Potosi my vote for least favorite but the views were nice.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

V3 in it's drypan dirt glory has entered the chat.
This one is better left for spring or a really good wet monsoon spell if you absolutely have to do it in summer.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Bartlett? It's a mined out s**t pile.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 pm V3 in it's drypan dirt glory has entered the chat.
This one is better left for spring or a really good wet monsoon spell if you absolutely have to do it in summer.
I'll second Yusef's disdain for climbing V3 in the summer. The scree was so loose that there were times I took three steps up and didn't gain an inch of elevation. V3 really would be best as a snow climb. On the plus side, the view of U.S. Grant from the summit was fantastic:
U.S. Grant and V4 from V3.JPG
U.S. Grant and V4 from V3.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner