Most hated 13er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Most hated 13er?

Post by desertdog »

I'll throw in an outlier, Thunder Pyramid. We thought there was going to be snow, but there wasn't. I think we might have gotten off route. What a Junk Show! To break the tension, I kept saying to my partner, "What's for dinner?", as dinner plate rocks flew past our heads. Nice view from the summit though. I'm sure there was an easier one that was less enjoyable, but this one stands out for me.
Last edited by desertdog on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

stephakett wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:53 am roach's "classic" south ridge route on silverheels is a fantastic hike. hopefully the abandoned suburban at 11K has vacated the best camping spot the next time someone trailhead snoozes the 4WD portion.
It sounds a lot nicer. We went in December so came from Hoosier Pass.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Kismet.
The couloir was quite loose and long. I'm sure it was worse in my mind as I was new to hiking these types of things.
The bonuses were great views from the summit and finding a summit register that had been placed there the year my mom was born, 1934.
So that is how Kismet became my mom's mountain.
I get to see it almost every day from where I live in Montrose.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

wineguy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am For me the worst 20 vertical feet on a 13er is the upper part of the gully on Cathedral, steep loose dirt in summer. A slip here would be a disaster, microspikes were helpful. Still, the scramble above the gully and the beautiful lake views redeem this route.
Thanks for reminding me about Cathedral Peak. Like V3, that one is definitely best as a snow climb.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I almost quit hiking 13ers 10 years ago after a summer slog of Edwards-Argentine-Wilcox. It was mind-numbing with meh views. However, skiing them was an absolute redemption, with Edwards close to being in top-10. Same principle applies to most of the mentioned disliked 13ers.

Peaks that are impossible to salvage even with snow - Bartlett & Kismet. Finnegan is probably ok with snow, but no way I'd be hauling skis up and over New York mtn for a do-over. When dry, it's like Teakettle on steroids, and without 30 ft crack at the top. Another fairly unpleasant talus slog with even longer approach is 13,060B in the Elks. But in San Juans, even the most miserable choss is instantly forgotten because of the views, funny how it works...
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Why all the hate? The only thing I hate is driving and that's why I quit solo peak bagging. I'd be curious to hear what people like Boggy and Kylie, also Mr. G, the Kirks, Furthermore, Vadim and Sarah T have to say since they've climbed them all. Those that have put a huge dent in the CO 13ers should chime in too and especially those that are super active like Supranihilist. Otherwise the the only experience I have and why I quit was Potosi after Teakettle and Coffee Pot. I thought it was crazy to keep checking off peaks just to check them off and instead I prefer to tackle something technical with partner(s) i.e. Lizard Head, Index and Little Finger. This year I've especially enjoyed the Mohling traverse and the new route Hogan and I put up on Dallas. Super fun days with awesome partners! Although my solo day on the Tenmile Traverse this fall was spectacular and that is a fun range to climb. The views are impressive.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

blazintoes wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am Why all the hate?
+1
I wanted to participate here, but after reviewing my list several times, I can't find a single 13er I hated hiking.
Some days are better than others, but getting out above treeline is one of my favorite things in the world.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Matt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 pm
blazintoes wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am Why all the hate?
+1
I wanted to participate here, but after reviewing my list several times, I can't find a single 13er I hated hiking.
Some days are better than others, but getting out above treeline is one of my favorite things in the world.
+1 🙂
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Blazintoes: what was your new route on Dallas?
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

[quote=osprey post_id=757062 time=1637876798 user_id=20797]
Blazintoes: what was your new route on Dallas?
[/quote]

Thanks for asking! The description is this: The southwest ridge of Dallas is an adventurous way to climb this Colorado San Juan Centennial. You will encounter much of the same characteristic annoying scree & talus before roping up for a chossy headwall that leads to some great scrambling and then finishes along its west ridge towers. If this route gets some traffic and cleans up, it could be an interesting and more substantial alternative to Dallas' standard East Face route.

And this is the Mountain Project link: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/1 ... hossinator

When we got to the top Hogan asked me, "What are you going to call the route?" And I quickly shouted, "The Chossinator!"

I love choss.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

^
5.6 R
R = FeRocious!
Not to be Repeated by anyone with a degree of sanity.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

All the hate on Bartlett but I’d rank that highly on my list of fun ski descents with a quick/easy approach. Nice little climb and ski there, can get a double with Little B too.

Gladstone was one of the most miserable 13ers for me (especially since I didn’t get on the right summit block and will have to go back). But, like all the rest of the mountains that folks seem to hate, it probably wouldn’t be so bad on snow/skis. Natalie brings up a good point about the views in the SJs. The peaks can be darn miserable in summer but the lakes and the views make up for it. Good thing for short term memory!