14 Peaks Documentary

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14 Peaks Documentary

Post by rmattas »

I loved it. Good on him and his crew.

Make sure you watch "The Alpinist" too.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I am certainly looking forward to watching this.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

angry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm Dude worked his ass off, remortgaged his house and was on the grind to secure funding. He helped other climbers in distress and ensured every member of his team was given recognition for the help they provided to him in reaching each summit.
Yeah, I agree. Those facts and the backstory really helped this film. He joined the Gurkahs to escape poverty, got into the special forces, and quit six years short of his pension to do this project. I have to wonder if one reason he did this was due to his age and fitness, and maybe knowing it was a "now or never" situation: regardless of the risks and sacrifices, if he didn't do it soon, it might never happen. He might also have been considering the health of his mother, and wanted to do it while she was alive.

Many of us have a sort of financial lifeline...if everything goes to s**t, there's someone we can call on to bail us out. Nims had a partially paralyzed dad, a sick mom, siblings, and a wife - and he was the family's main financial supporter. It's not likely that there was anyone he could call on if everything fell apart, and he put it all on the line to do this project. Failing to complete all the peaks would probably have had devastating consequences not only for him, but for his entire family. I doubt if Netflix would pay for a film about a guy who almost did all the 8000ers in seven months. Including those details in the film expose just how critical it was that he succeed.

Aside from doing all those peaks and the many people he helped along the way - on the mountains and back at home - that was the point that resonated with me most. How many people join the military to support their parents, spouses, and extended families, and how many would be willing to risk it all to do something even bigger?

Here's a short interview, and yeah, the newscaster isn't the best but she doesn't do a bad job either. I especially like how Nims refrains from bad-mouthing all those Western climbers on Everest. We could all learn something from his kindness and positivity.

JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

"When you think you're fucked. You are really only 45 percent fucked." ~ Nims.

That is some great advice about moving forward, perseverance, completing your goals, and simply to keep going in a bad situation.

Good documentary about an achievement most people really have no idea of what it took to complete.

JQ
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i enjoyed the film. some of the stuff in the beginning that made Nims seem over-the-top i thought was more the fault of the filmmakers, like they were trying to create a bit of a character (or caricature) out of him through editing, but once the film settles in and the project is underway you get a more accurate view of him. i remember following along that year, and what he and his team accomplished was amazing, regardless of any complaints over style. yeah, i can understand how his approach of flying from peak to peak might offend some purists, but it was literally the only way to possibly do those peaks in those times, and he still did the same climbs as anyone who reached those BCs in the usual manner.

i disagree that this couldn't have been made into a longer series without losing viewers. there was plenty of drama during his project, from the multiple rescue attempts, the story behind the Everest conga line, and they even had a ready-made cliffhanger with his attempt to get a permit to climb in China. these kind of adventure-based series seem pretty popular right now, and with the increased pandemic-era interest in outdoor pursuits like hiking and climbing, i think it could have been very popular. i mean, they got people to watch a whole series (two, now) about a tiger-killing, murder-plotting country music lip syncer, so anything is possible.
susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 amNice to see Reinhold Messner, Conrad Anker, and Jimmy Chin weigh in.
that was cool, but i was disappointed they left out any commentary by Dr. Jon Kedrowski.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

it was a really cool film, but i was shocked to hear no mention of Shermapangma... like at all.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am
susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 amNice to see Reinhold Messner, Conrad Anker, and Jimmy Chin weigh in.
that was cool, but i was disappointed they left out any commentary by Dr. Jon Kedrowski.
Dude, I just cleaned my keyboard! Now...coffee everywhere. :)
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

aholle88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:33 pm I never had any ambitions of climbing anything over there but that documentary was pretty motivating. Though I still don’t think I could sit in a tent for that long without going nuts. Maybe if we all could just heli into basecamp on the days with good weather windows like he was able to do!
I got into climbing because of 8000m peaks. It was all I cared about for years and years. When I finally went to Broad Peak in 2017, I pretty much thought to myself "wtf is this?!"

Sure, there were incredible, life defining moments... but also there was so much sitting around doing nothing and so many of the things wrong with big mountain climbing on full display.

I don't see myself ever going on an 8000m expedition again, even if I still romanticize and dream about it. Some of my friends who have been more times than I have, have only cemented my view. None of my close friends have reached the summit of more than 1 8000er, and most have had some pretty rough experiences overall. Plus the crowds and the adventure tourists....

I am looking forward to watching this documentary tonight.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

I Man wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:33 pm I am looking forward to watching this documentary tonight.
Just be forewarned that there is casual alcohol and oxygen consumption in the movie. I think I saw a spliff too.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

I Man wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:33 pm but also there was so much sitting around doing nothing and so many of the things wrong with big mountain climbing on full display.
If you don't mind, can you expand your thought(s) on this some more? Not ragging on you or others who climb or attempted 8000ers, just curious what you have to share here with this community.

Thanks!
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

WVMountaineer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm
I Man wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:33 pm but also there was so much sitting around doing nothing and so many of the things wrong with big mountain climbing on full display.
If you don't mind, can you expand your thought(s) on this some more? Not ragging on you or others who climb or attempted 8000ers, just curious what you have to share here with this community.

Thanks!

"Acclimatize!"
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:47 am
WVMountaineer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks!

"Acclimatize!"
Haha this is great. I actually rather like that film!!

The whole adventure tourism and situation on 8000m peaks these days is a polarizing issue, and the information is out there. I am not interested in fanning any flames here.

As far as the waiting, it is exactly what you would expect...you fly to the other side of the world for 6-8 weeks, spend a ton of money and time (which is hard to come by), you are away from family and friends and mostly isolated. You go up and down the same route multiple times. When we were on Broad Peak, we missed the first summit window and we sat around for 2 weeks waiting and hoping another window would come along. It was mentally tough, and for me the crux. The climbing is relatively easy, especially with fixed lines (that is another gripe I have, but not going to get into it now).

The window did come and we went up, and things did not go well for a variety of reasons - crowds for one, but also just our own inexperience. If I were to get the same trip again, with same weather and conditions, I think we would get it - but that's never going to happen. We probably could have waited for a 3rd window, but I just didn't have it in me. Some did reach the summit in early August that year.

To pass the time I played Gameboy, I watched movies, I listened to music and I annoyed the hell out of my partner :lol: One of the other teams smuggled in some booze which made for a nice party night once, and I chose not to fly to Pakistan with edibles because I didn't want to have my head cut off - in retrospect I regret that decision. I think that would have helped a lot. We hiked to K2 basecamp a few times and we sat around shooting the s**t with other climbing teams.

Anyway - I have had much more "fun" in Alaska and The Andes - getting the experience I want - being alone on a mountain with my team and really climbing. That being said, there is just something about 8000m peaks and they continue capturing my imagination.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.