Mestaa’ėhehe Mountain name change approved by US Board of Geographic Names!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EigenDylan
14ers: 16  4 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Mestaa’ėhehe Mountain name change approved by US Board of Geographic Names!

Post by EigenDylan »

https://www.9news.com/amp/article/news/ ... f7d7381346

It's official! Glad it's finally done. Anybody want to do a celebratory ascent?
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mestaa’ėhehe Mountain name change approved by US Board of Geographic Names!

Post by John Landers »

The word Squaw: Offensive or not.

https://indiancountrytoday.com/archive/ ... ive-or-not

I did not know the history.
Lhotse27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lhotse27 »

Of course. Everything is.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

If anything, it seems strange to use an Algonquin word to name a mountain in the Rockies.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I honestly never would have even known that word was offensive. Just thought it was a ski resort I went to as a kid.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Lhotse27 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm Of course. Everything is.
If the knuckle dragging mouth breathing 12 year olds on Twitter deem a word offensive then you can now never use that word again without being cancelled. Welcome to the 2020s :)
Be the best you that you can be.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

justiner wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:02 pm If anything, it seems strange to use an Algonquin word to name a mountain in the Rockies.
Where are you getting that word is Algonquin? Its Cheyenne.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Trotter wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:44 pm
justiner wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:02 pm If anything, it seems strange to use an Algonquin word to name a mountain in the Rockies.
Where are you getting that word is Algonquin? Its Cheyenne.
From the article linked by John Landers. I don't know if it's Cheyenne (also?) but according to,

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/09/17/ ... -cheyenne/

Mestaa’ėhehe is a specific Cheyenne woman, and it was The Northern Cheyenne Tribe tribe that asked for the rename.

I'm not an expert in Indian languages to know the relationship between the Algonquian language spoken in the NE to what's spoken in CO.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:26 pm I honestly never would have even known that word was offensive. Just thought it was a ski resort I went to as a kid.
It's Palisades :lol:
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

for those following this - there has been efforts to rename things from Squaw for more than 20 years. nothing new about this at all.

better we don't have a landscape riddled with negative racist connotations. who wants to live in that world?

https://www.summitpost.org/ch-paa-qn-pe ... eak/393990
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

sticks and stones may break my bones but words are extremely harmful and everyone else is in charge of regulating my emotions when i am "offended"

i do very much enjoy a peak name that is more culturally and historically significant than generic native american words, though.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I lived and worked in New Mexico Pueblos and on the Navajo rez for 10 years and have a strong bond with many people in those communities.
Generally speaking, there's a large gap between those who have stayed with their people and those who've moved into the white world.
The former cohort, which usually includes those invested in maintaining their traditions and culture, tend to shrug off social justice efforts to rename everything on their behalf. A good friend is a medicine man for his tribe near Santa Fe. When I asked him about renaming the Washington Redskins, he looked at me and flatly stated (paraphrasing here) "Any Indian who cares about that crap has been around too many white people." I found agreement among Navajos, as well, men and women alike.

Being offended is a choice people make. Clearly, not every Indian cares about renaming everything to prevent anyone making that choice.
Another viewpoint I heard often was that instead of wasting time and effort renaming things, redirect them toward things that actually help Natives in need. Food, water, utilities, etc seem far more valuable than renaming mountains to me, as well. I guess it makes the non-Natives feel good, though.

WRT "Squaw," LoJ lists 49 more mountains in the four corners alone. Imagine how much work it would take to bring those mountains to justice. Imagine how much tangible help--basic necessities--could be given to people in need by redirecting such time and effort.
From my POV, I'd rather help people in need of food, water, etc., than people who find themselves offended by a mountain or sports team name.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List