Challenger Point is Not Ranked!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Challenger Point is Not Ranked!

Post by Teresa Gergen »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:16 am
supranihilest wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 am Prominence is the next ranking criterion after elevation, followed by isolation.
Ah yes, that makes much more sense. And sweet, it looks like Trinity will be #100.
This only has to do with how you place them in order on a list (it was a decision made by LOJ in its early days), not with what you have to climb to complete a list. If you are pursuing an elevation threshold list, such as the Highest Whatever, and there is an elevation tie at the bottom cutoff elevation, you have always had to climb all of the ranked peaks with the tied elevation to complete the list. For example, on the pre-LiDAR Bicentennial list, you have always had to climb 202 peaks.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Teresa Gergen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:34 pm This only has to do with how you place them in order on a list (it was a decision made by LOJ in its early days), not with what you have to climb to complete a list. If you are pursuing an elevation threshold list, such as the Highest Whatever, and there is an elevation tie at the bottom cutoff elevation, you have always had to climb all of the ranked peaks with the tied elevation to complete the list. For example, on the pre-LiDAR Bicentennial list, you have always had to climb 202 peaks.
Oh, I am well aware of this. I'm just fond of Trinity Peak and happy to see it at 100. But it's good to point it out for the folks working on the Centennials as it's not something that had to be considered in the past unlike the Bicents. And for me personally, as I close in on completing* the Bicents, I plan to climb the map contour list and any peaks that sort up from the new LiDAR analysis.

*I won't be a finisher though, as for right now I don't plan on hiking Vermejo and Purgatoire.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Teresa Gergen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:34 pm This only has to do with how you place them in order on a list (it was a decision made by LOJ in its early days), not with what you have to climb to complete a list. If you are pursuing an elevation threshold list, such as the Highest Whatever, and there is an elevation tie at the bottom cutoff elevation, you have always had to climb all of the ranked peaks with the tied elevation to complete the list. For example, on the pre-LiDAR Bicentennial list, you have always had to climb 202 peaks.
Oh, I am well aware of this. I'm just fond of Trinity Peak and happy to see it at 100. But it's good to point it out for the folks working on the Centennials as it's not something that had to be considered in the past unlike the Bicents. And for me personally, as I close in on finishing the Bicents, I plan to climb the map contour list and any peaks that sort in from the new LiDAR analysis.
Thanks for your input, guys.

John just updated the lidar page with the results.

I also looked at Fishers Peak and Fishers Peak Mesa, and Fishers Peak pulled out ahead (which I appreciated). The high point on the Mesa is the one you visited on the east of the pipeline road, Teresa.
Attachments
Challenger Point, Fishers Peak, Fishers Peak Mesa
Challenger Point, Fishers Peak, Fishers Peak Mesa
Update.PNG (41.71 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:16 am
supranihilest wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 am Prominence is the next ranking criterion after elevation, followed by isolation.
Ah yes, that makes much more sense. And sweet, it looks like Trinity will be #100.
Does that mean that Niagara falls off the list?
HikerGuy
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

PJ88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:28 pm Does that mean that Niagara falls off the list?
Nope. See Teresa's post above. Niagara will be listed as 101, but since it is tied with Trinity it is a Centennial and is part of that list. Teakettle and Dallas have been bumped off the Centennial list according to updated LiDAR elevations.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:33 pm
PJ88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:28 pm Does that mean that Niagara falls off the list?
Nope. See Teresa's post above. Niagara will be listed as 101, but since it is tied with Trinity it is a Centennial and is part of that list. Teakettle and Dallas have been bumped off the Centennial list according to updated LiDAR elevations.
Sorry, it was just a bad joke that I couldn't stop myself from making.
HikerGuy
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

PJ88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Haha, whoooosh...right over my head.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

PJ88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm
:lol: Flew over my head, too!
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Salient wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 am Let’s be real tho, you may as well still climb Challenger since it’s the easiest way to Kit Carson and I assume most people will anyway.
But from South Colony lakes is way more fun. :-D
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:22 am
Salient wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 am Let’s be real tho, you may as well still climb Challenger since it’s the easiest way to Kit Carson and I assume most people will anyway.
Exactly. With a basecamp in Colony lakes you can climb all 4 and skip the subpeak. That was the standard way for years until a few people decided to count the subpeak as a 14er.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

gb wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 am
Exactly. With a basecamp in Colony lakes you can climb all 4 and skip the subpeak. That was the standard way for years until a few people decided to count the subpeak as a 14er.
As well as provide an easier route by going over Challenger vs. going over Columbia. The traverse from Columbia to Kit Carson is no joke: Hard to keep it to Class 3 and has a high amount of exposure.

Having a separate, standard trailhead for Kit Carson also distributes the hikers more so South Colony doesn't get even more trashed than it already does.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 am
gb wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 am

As well as provide an easier route by going over Challenger vs. going over Columbia. The traverse from Columbia to Kit Carson is no joke: Hard to keep it to Class 3 and has a high amount of exposure.

Having a separate, standard trailhead for Kit Carson also distributes the hikers more so South Colony doesn't get even more trashed than it already does.
Plus, I assume Challenger will remain on the list of 58. Meaning it's new status will not effect the majority of those climbing 14ers.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point