Where are these photos taken from?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Where are these photos taken from?

Post by rdp32 »

Does anyone know where these photos were taken? They are all of the same location, just from different angles (it's the same pond in all three---this is from a panoramic mural photo that I came across, and I took quick pics of it on my phone).

It sure looks like CO to me (it reminds me of the Weminuche in particular), but I can't think of anywhere in CO that matches this.

Thanks!

PXL_20220108_221148191_b.jpg
PXL_20220108_221148191_b.jpg (203.65 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
PXL_20220108_221139522_b.jpg
PXL_20220108_221139522_b.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
PXL_20220108_221133438.MP_c.jpg
PXL_20220108_221133438.MP_c.jpg (138.25 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where are these photos taken from?

Post by Candace66 »

Could it possibly be in the Sierras?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Candace66 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:25 pm Could it possibly be in the Sierras?
That's what I'm starting to think. It looked a lot like CO to me at first, but I don't know of anywhere like that in CO so it's probably somewhere else like the Sierras (I don't know the Sierras at all). If anyone has any guesses (or good ways to find out), please chime in!
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

I was thinking it looks kinda like the Wind River range, but I could be way off.
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

The Grenadiers! Love those peaks. It's a long ways to get back where this photo was taken, but well worth the trek.
Those are taken from near Weminuche Peak, up the Rock Creek drainage, above the Vallecito Creek valley.
In photo one, you are looking at Mount Oso and Peters.
In photo two, you are looking at The Guardian, Mount Silex with Peak 3 in the distance. Then Peak One is on the middle right.
In photo three, you are looking at Peak Six and Peak Seven.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

RyGuy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm The Grenadiers! Love those peaks.
Wow, you nailed it! I'm not used to seeing them from that direction, as I've only been there once, but I recognize it now that you've identified them. I would have guessed southern Winds or Sierra during a less-dry year.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

RyGuy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm The Grenadiers! Love those peaks. It's a long ways to get back where this photo was taken, but well worth the trek.
Those are taken from near Weminuche Peak, up the Rock Creek drainage, above the Vallecito Creek valley.
In photo two, you are looking at The Guardian, Mount Silex with Peak 3 in the distance. Then Peak One is on the middle right.

-Ryan
Yep Ryan, the Guardian and Silex are pretty recognizeable peaks! The pictures look be taken at one of the small lakes on the Rock Creek-Flint Creek divide area circled in the map below. If you want to see the view from that location here is the CalTopo link.
https://caltopo.com/view#ll=37.6258,-10 ... .74,-57.35
rock-flint creek pass.png
rock-flint creek pass.png (832.85 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
pic1 caltopo.png
pic1 caltopo.png (507.38 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
pic2 and 3 caltopo.png
pic2 and 3 caltopo.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

RyGuy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm The Grenadiers! Love those peaks. It's a long ways to get back where this photo was taken, but well worth the trek.

-Ryan
Awesome, thanks! This originally looked similar to the Weminuche to me because those peaks reminded me of the ones around Guardian/Silex, but I have only seen them from other angles so I didn't realize it was actually them! (they look different from this side!) The specific area where this photo was taken looks nicer than I expected... it's now officially added to my ever-growing bucket list!
Last edited by rdp32 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

geojed wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:52 pm

-Ryan
Yep Ryan, the Guardian and Silex are pretty recognizeable peaks! The pictures look be taken at one of the small lakes on the Rock Creek-Flint Creek divide area circled in the map below. If you want to see the view from that location here is the CalTopo link.
pic1 caltopo.png
pic2 and 3 caltopo.png
Very nice... how did you get that panoramic view (w/ imagery) in caltopo? If I right click on the map, I see an option for "Simulated View", but it's just the black/white outline without the imagery (the ones you posted look much nicer).
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

rdp32 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 pm

-Ryan
pic1 caltopo.png
pic2 and 3 caltopo.png
Very nice... how did you get that panoramic view (w/ imagery) in caltopo? If I right click on the map, I see an option for "Simulated View", but it's just the black/white outline without the imagery (the ones you posted look much nicer).
In the top right of the window there is dropdown where you can select the view type and elevation above the spot to simulate the view from.
Attachments
2022-01-09 16_49_56-Window.png
2022-01-09 16_49_56-Window.png (8.02 KiB) Viewed 962 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

geojed wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm
rdp32 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 pm

pic1 caltopo.png
pic2 and 3 caltopo.png
In the top right of the window there is dropdown where you can select the view type and elevation above the spot to simulate the view from.
Awesome, thanks. It continually blows me away to learn about all of the things you can do with caltopo. I really need to more thoroughly explore all of its features!
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

rdp32 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 pm Awesome, thanks. It continually blows me away to learn about all of the things you can do with caltopo. I really need to more thoroughly explore all of its features!
I am regularly surprised by things I didn't know it could do despite knowing the guy who created it, and there are still more things being added all the time.