Gore Crest Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Theoretically if someone were to do a traverse of the Gore crest, which peaks should it start on?

Eagle’s Nest/Dora Mtn
75%
Elliott Ridge/Meridian Peak/NW Corner
25%

Total votes: 32
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Gore Crest Traverse

Post by d_baker »

Oh no. I am not one of the "better ones." I am a jackass!

Wren, I hope you find what you're looking for. Be careful how you word it though, because some may not appreciate what you're trying to achieve without full disclosure.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:30 am
d_baker wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:17 am Lol.
Yeah, whatever!
In other words, okay, TallGrass Scott.
Really? I always thought you were one of the better members here, but now you are telling me that you can't read a map or are too lazy to do so?

Maybe I should go tell everyone I have traversed the Rocky Mountains because I've done the Bells Traverse.

Anyone who incorrectly refers to the Gore Range as just the Eagles Nest Wilderness either can't read a map or is too lazy to do so. It's as simple as that. There really is nothing funny about it; in fact it's quite sad. It also seems to only be the Front Rangers and Summit County residents that are prone to the error since everyone in NW Colorado knows that the Gore Range is just outside Steamboat Springs.
You are literally the only person that I've encountered that mentions that the Gore Range starts and ends as you mentioned. Just because you say something ad nauseum, doesn't make it so.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

d_baker wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:39 am Oh no. I am not one of the "better ones." I am a jackass!
Maybe. But I have seen you make some really useful posts.

In previous threads I have said that my biggest pet peave on this forum is people erroneously referring to the Eagles Nest Wilderness as the only part of the Gore Range. It does bother me more than it should.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

JtheChemE wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:41 am You are literally the only person that I've encountered that mentions that the Gore Range starts and ends as you mentioned. Just because you say something ad nauseum, doesn't make it so.
Then you don't know anyone who lives in NW Colorado or anyone who can read a map. Gore Pass, Gore Creek, Gore Mountain and the place where Gore crossed the range north of Eagles Nest Wilderness. Go ask anyone living is Steamboat Spring to point to the Gore Range and see where they point.

Every single map available shows the Gore Range extending north to at least Rabbit Ears Pass. So does every single historic source. Not one map indicates otherwise. In addition to all maps, all USGS and geologic reports show it as such. See here for example:

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/i1114

Please show us one credible map that supports that the rGore Range eange ends before Rabbit Ears Pass.

What does this map say?
Screenshot_20220109-085218_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220109-085218_Google.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 889 times
It is not me or you who decides the names of geographic features; it is the USGS and US Board of Geographic Names who makes the decisions. If you have a problem with the maps and place names, you can take it up with them.

I'm stopping here though. Anyone who is literate can look at the maps themselves.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Well, is there an agreed upon part of the Gore RANGE, that makes up the Gore CREST? Like the high, pointy parts?

I thought this traverse was very impressive (great writeup and great pictures too)

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/ben-de ... 2020-09-07
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

justiner wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:34 am Well, is there an agreed upon part of the Gore RANGE, that makes up the Gore CREST? Like the high, pointy parts?

I thought this traverse was very impressive (great writeup and great pictures too)

I’m thinking of the summit/eagle county line, the section which is uninterrupted by sub-alpine terrain. but also feel like it makes more sense to start with eagles nest.
Last edited by -wren- on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-wren-
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Thanks for all the input. The trip reports you shared are all excellent. Anton Krupicka did a write up of his skimo traverse of the range from Buffalo Mountain to Dora Mountain which is 100% worth a read, even though it was not a proper crest traverse and fell short of finishing. I would agree that Eagle’s Nest to Uneva would be the most aesthetically pleasing (but maybe not geographically correct) way to do things. And yes of course the real crux would be food, water, bail, and bivy; that’s a given and something I noted in the original post. Makes sense that the zodiacs would be the technical crux, that’s a lot of convoluted 5th class terrain and not as travelled as peak c. Slipped my mind somehow. Anyhow I’m not of sound enough body at the time being to think of piecing something like this together, hence “theoretical”. Gotta try to put myself through the wringer of the full Mosquito/Tenmile and the Wemi Wipeout first (not that those are small undertakings). Maybe in a few summers.

P.S. Scott, if you’d like to do a traverse from Rabbit Ears to Jacque or even further, no one is stopping you.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:59 am
JtheChemE wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:41 am You are literally the only person that I've encountered that mentions that the Gore Range starts and ends as you mentioned. Just because you say something ad nauseum, doesn't make it so.
Then you don't know anyone who lives in NW Colorado or anyone who can read a map. Gore Pass, Gore Creek, Gore Mountain and the place where Gore crossed the range north of Eagles Nest Wilderness. Go ask anyone living is Steamboat Spring to point to the Gore Range and see where they point.

Every single map available shows the Gore Range extending north to at least Rabbit Ears Pass. So does every single historic source. Not one map indicates otherwise. In addition to all maps, all USGS and geologic reports show it as such. See here for example:

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/i1114

Please show us one credible map that supports that the rGore Range eange ends before Rabbit Ears Pass.

What does this map say?

Screenshot_20220109-085218_Google.jpg

It is not me or you who decides the names of geographic features; it is the USGS and US Board of Geographic Names who makes the decisions. If you have a problem with the maps and place names, you can take it up with them.

I'm stopping here though. Anyone who is literate can look at the maps themselves.
I can see the rub, if you are being a pedant (which I actually can appreciate). That said discussing pedantic points usually works better if you don't do so in a belittling manner, as if speaking to a child.
-wren- wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm I’m thinking of the summit/eagle county line, the section which is uninterrupted by sub-alpine terrain. but also feel like it makes more sense to start with eagles nest.
This is how folks discussing something like this usually spitball it. There are of course some other nuances that should be taken into account.
justiner wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:34 am Well, is there an agreed upon part of the Gore RANGE, that makes up the Gore CREST? Like the high, pointy parts?

This is an awesome write up, somehow I missed it. Thanks for sharing.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 am Neither answer is correct. At the north end you would have to start near Rabbit Ears Pass. North Walton Peak would be the first peak climbed.

Just call it the Eaglesnest Wilderness traverse instead of the Gore Spine.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

They skipped so much though. No Zodiacs, no Rockinghorse, no Saw...
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

-wren- wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:22 pm Anton Krupicka did a write up of his skimo traverse of the range from Buffalo Mountain to Dora Mountain which is 100% worth a read, even though it was not a proper crest traverse and fell short of finishing.
Jason Killgore and Chris Baldwin actually finished the traverse of the wilderness on skis (the same guys Tony attempted it with). But they were skinning to summits and skiing to valleys on repeat. I doubt that would be as germane as summer TRs of ridge portions for what you're trying to accomplish. Regardless, there might be some beta out there from their successful traverse.

The technical cruxes would probably be Zodiacs, Rockinghorse, Saw, and depends how you would do B to C. That daunting face of C goes at mid-5th but guessing it's like 8 pitches or so? There's also that easier 5.3 sneak up to C from wrapping around near Kneeknocker. The easiest most expedient option would be to take the couloir from the base of kneeknocker up to the beaver ponds and scoot up CC rider. Guess it depends on the aesthetic you're going for.
-wren-
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Jorts wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:23 pm
-wren- wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:22 pm That daunting face of C goes at mid-5th but guessing it's like 8 pitches or so? There's also that easier 5.3 sneak up to C from wrapping around near Kneeknocker. The easiest most expedient option would be to take the couloir from the base of kneeknocker up to the beaver ponds and scoot up CC rider. Guess it depends on the aesthetic you're going for.

It goes at 5.4 controversially. Tricky routefinding, lots of pitches and easy to encroach into 5.7-5.8+…not your average 5.4. It’s a pretty brazen solo and not sure it would be the route I would take, although it is the most true to the ridge line. Definitely have to weigh practicality against aesthetics for the sake of your own well-being in many many places along the county line.