Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hooray187
14ers: 33 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Post by Hooray187 »

I hope everyone is enjoying the start of 2022. I was on Mt. Morrison today, and I was curious as to if anyone knew the record for climbs in a single day for it or if anyone had any cool experiences on it. I have only ever done it once in a day, but I sometimes see people doing it multiple times, so I figured I would send a shout out here, as it is such a cool mountain. Thanks.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Mt Morrison Records & Experiences?

Post by astrobassman »

I also did Morrison today after work, and discussed this topic with someone on the hill, also discussed who the next Broncos coach is going to be. Maybe that was you?
Earlier last year I bumped into a guy who was training to get either 20k or 30k vert in on Morrison in a day, I can't remember the exact number but remember being shocked.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I looked on the Everesting site, but didn't see a record for Mt. Morrison.

This would be many, many laps.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

I do laps there once in a while (rarely more than 2-3, nothing fancy) and occasionally somebody would talk to me after seeing me go by a couple times. I can't remember the actual details, but somebody was telling me about a guy he knew who did something like 20 in a day to mark his birthday.

I saw Courtney Dauwalter training on Morrison a couple weeks before she ran the Barkley. I was going up as she was going down. A couple seconds after we crossed I realized who it was and was so stoked I had to text somebody about it and freak out a little. Kinda bummed she moved to Leadville so I probably won't see her on the local trails again, though of course it makes total sense for her training needs.

A while back I ate at The Cow in Morrison and saw their Holy Cow Burger on the menu: https://thecoweatery.com/champions/

I've been meaning to do as many laps of Mt Morrison as I can starting early in the morning and then get there an hour before closing and try the burger, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Last edited by headsizeburrito on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooray187
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hooray187 »

astrobassman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:46 pm I also did Morrison today after work, and discussed this topic with someone on the hill, also discussed who the next Broncos coach is going to be. Maybe that was you?
Earlier last year I bumped into a guy who was training to get either 20k or 30k vert in on Morrison in a day, I can't remember the exact number but remember being shocked.
Yep, that was me! Our conversation was what sparked my curiosity. That is a ridiculous number of times.
Hooray187
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hooray187 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:32 pm I do laps there once in a while (rarely more than 2-3, nothing fancy) and last year and occasionally somebody would talk to me after seeing me go by a couple times. I can't remember the actual details, but somebody was telling me about a guy he knew who did something like 20 in a day to mark his birthday.

I saw Courtney Dauwalter training on Morrison a couple weeks before she ran the Barkley. I was going up as she was going down. A couple seconds after we crossed I realized who it was and was so stoked I had to text somebody about it and freak out a little. Kinda bummed she moved to Leadville so I probably won't see her on the local trails again, though of course it makes total sense for her training needs.

A while back I ate at The Cow in Morrison and saw their Holy Cow Burger on the menu: https://thecoweatery.com/champions/

I've been meaning to do as many laps of Mt Morrison as I can starting early in the morning and then get there an hour before closing and try the burger, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Haha, I would have freaked out, as well. Well, if you ever do your goal, let us know! I have only ever done one lap at a time, but I may try for 2 laps this year.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Vic Fangio will have plenty of time now to try to set the single day record
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by the_hare »

Such a great training mountain, stiff elevation gain at first & nice views from the top so close to Denver. Used to go up here when I wanted to do a tougher hike after I first moved here. Cool experience, saw a ton of ladybugs swarming at the peak late one March. There were a hundred or so ladybugs on every clump of grass in the summit area. It’s cool that you can hear Red Rocks from up on the ridge too, I’ve considered hiking up there for a free concert ha.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I'm going to take this moment to plug my dream idea - that an official eastern path should be established from the park up.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

The right person could certainly Everest that trail in one day I think. What is that, like 55 miles and a little over 30k feet in 15 laps. I’m not that person, at least not currently, but definitely doable by plenty of people.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

It'd be tough but doable to Everest under 24 hrs. 1:36:00 average RT pace is maintainable.

The most Morrison summit laps I've done is 6, but not all the main trail. I know a handful of people who have done 5-7 laps, and another that did 12 hours (7 or 8 laps at their pace). That's too much Mo for me.

As a local mountain, I have a few informal names for various Morrison ventures:
-DuMo: Bike from home.
-Golden DuMo: Bike from Golden (arch to arch)
-DoubMo: Up front and backside
-StarMo: Up SE ridge, NE ridge, E ridge (old trail) and west road
-Windy Grape Mo: bike Windy Saddle to Grapevine, tag Mo.
-Mo's A**hole: the dude who lives in the house at the bottom of the radio road easement. I guess the only accomplishment here is pissing him off and then running away.

There was also some name for Falcon > Lair o' Bear > Mo. For some reason, I thought it was called Morrison Skyline Traverse.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Monster5 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:34 pm There was also some name for Falcon > Lair o' Bear > Mo. For some reason, I thought it was called Morrison Skyline Traverse.
I've never heard of the route nor the name, but just making something up of the top of my head, I submit "Remember the Fal-O'-Mo."
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir