Best way to do the Bells/Pyramid in a Weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Best way to do the Bells/Pyramid in a Weekend?

Post by Buckie06 »

Hello all,
assuming I can get the correct permits needed, what are everyone's thoughts on the best way to do Pyramid and the Bells Traverse in a weekend? Backpack in and setup camp, or as day trips and stay in town? I typically like backpacking in, but I see the TH is so close I'm not sure it's worth backpacking in and camping with all the tourist around. Thoughts?
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Best way to do the Bells/Pyramid in a Weekend?

Post by hellmanm »

The extra few miles from the TH to Crater Lake may be easy, but it does take valuable time if you're looking to time a weather window for either. I've day-tripped N. Maroon and Pyramid, but looking back it would probably be better to have camped out somewhere in that area first. Something like heading into camp Friday, traversing Saturday, with Pyramid on Sunday would be a reasonable itinerary. I say this having never summited S. Maroon or done the traverse, though.
Danger_D
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 100 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Danger_D »

Its only about a mile (and a super easy one at that) between the TH and the Pyramid turnoff so you would only be saving about 20 minutes of hike time by camping. Personally I think it would make the most sense to stay someplace comfortable in town and day-trip it. That being said, the Bells is one of the prettiest places in the state, so it might be worth it just to hang out at camp.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

Thanks all, I'm not one for paying for hotels, so I would probably do dispersed camping somewhere close to the TH (Castle Creek Rd?) if I did the day hike option.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

I'd camp at Crater lake (and have actually done that). But i think that these days you need a reservation for the numbered camp sites there.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Buckie06 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:59 pm Thanks all, I'm not one for paying for hotels, so I would probably do dispersed camping somewhere close to the TH (Castle Creek Rd?) if I did the day hike option.
The Castle Creek Rd Spots fill up very fast. I believe there are only 12 spots. A few of the lower ones seem to be frequently taken by more 'permanent' residents. If you are thinking a weekend, I'd be there at least on Thursday to grab one. Its still about 45+ min back to Maroon Lake, maybe longer if you are at one of the higher spots. Another spot to look would be the Lincoln Creek road. There's 22 spots there. All the same caveats apply.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

dwoodward13 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:34 pm
Buckie06 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:59 pm Thanks all, I'm not one for paying for hotels, so I would probably do dispersed camping somewhere close to the TH (Castle Creek Rd?) if I did the day hike option.
The Castle Creek Rd Spots fill up very fast. I believe there are only 12 spots. A few of the lower ones seem to be frequently taken by more 'permanent' residents. If you are thinking a weekend, I'd be there at least on Thursday to grab one. Its still about 45+ min back to Maroon Lake, maybe longer if you are at one of the higher spots. Another spot to look would be the Lincoln Creek road. There's 22 spots there. All the same caveats apply.
I will echo this, Castle Creek fills up decently fast, although I did get a spot on a Thursday night deep in the pandemic boom in August 2020, with at least 2 other ones still open. The road is rough when it goes to 4x4, although Subaru-able if you don't mind taking a few hits, bumps, and scrapes. The drive to MB parking lot in the morning sucks especially hard when you're getting up well before dawn and is like an hour, but that pain is probably less than that of dealing with the reservation system in my experience
I thought, I taught, I wrought
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

that area is hard to get right with all the permits nowadays, also hard to find dispersed camping near aspen. if you know how to climb on snow, accessing via bicycle right before the road opens is a fun, uncrowded time to visit
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:25 pm that area is hard to get right with all the permits nowadays, also hard to find dispersed camping near aspen. if you know how to climb on snow, accessing via bicycle right before the road opens is a fun, uncrowded time to visit
Best option if you can climb snow.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

If you like camping, there are a handful of other options in the Crater Lake vicinity other than the numbered sites right at the lake. Maybe a half-dozen spots near where the S Maroon trail leaves the Four Pass Loop trail, and a comparable number up Minnehaha Gulch, again around where the 14er trail leaves the main Four Pass Loop trail. Plus, one sneaky little two-tent spot along the trail to Pyramid. I’ve camped all three and enjoyed them immensely.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I did this for Pyramid and it worked out well.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
swetnesss
14ers: 47  2 
13ers: 106 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swetnesss »

Pretty sure you can sleep in your car for free with no hassle at the buttermilk lot, at least that’s what I did about 4 years ago. Not sure if things changed since then