Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What qualifies as summiting a 14er

ONLY Hiking up a Trail
20%
Hiking Up a Trail or Highway but NOT Biking
12%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail but not a highway
4%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail or Highway
49%
Driving Counts as Summitting
14%

Total votes: 178
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Post by greenonion »

jrbren_vt wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:01 pm Is there a statute of limitations on climbs ? I did my first 14er (Elbert) over 30 years ago.
no. My first was in the 70s (but I'm not 70 yet!).
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

dubsho3000 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:43 am
AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:47 pm A lot of this comes down to semantics and whether a person really cares. If we're being literal about the verb "climb," very few people ever "climb" 14ers. If it's a question of whether they were physically in a spot at a given point in time, any means of getting there is valid, because they were there.
This has become a pet peeve of mine over the years, how people in the mountaineering community have redefined the word climb. Allow me to disagree. Here is the first definition from a google search:

climb

verb
go or come up (a slope, incline, or staircase), especially by using the feet and sometimes the hands; ascend.
"we began to climb the hill"

I feel like rock climbers have convinced us all that the word "climb" means something different than it actually does. Toddlers climb stairs; cars climb hills; yuppees climb the corporate ladder. Hikers climb 14ers by hiking on trails. Any time you summit a 14er, you've climbed!

Climb on
If just using the word climb in a general context, then your point is well taken. But I think the word climbing....as it relates to mountains/peaks.....is just a simpler way of clarifying the distinction between only needing your legs to summit----vs some hand over hand propulsion (or perhaps just putting hands down for stability). It provides a sense of that delineation without using other less familiar terms (esp. to the mountain terminology uninitiated) like "scrambling", for example.

An extension of that caveat is rock climbing, as that relates to using your hands to propel. You wouldn't typically say rock "hiking"....but you might say "I hiked up that mountain". Hike connotes legs only, climb suggests hands as a supplemental means.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lauradaughtry
14ers: 48 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lauradaughtry »

greenonion wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 am
AnnaG22 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:47 pm A lot of this comes down to semantics and whether a person really cares. If we're being literal about the verb "climb," very few people ever "climb" 14ers. If it's a question of whether they were physically in a spot at a given point in time, any means of getting there is valid, because they were there.
This has become a pet peeve of mine over the years, how people in the mountaineering community have redefined the word climb. Allow me to disagree. Here is the first definition from a google search:

climb

verb
go or come up (a slope, incline, or staircase), especially by using the feet and sometimes the hands; ascend.

I feel like rock climbers have convinced us all that the word "climb" means something different than it actually does. Toddlers climb stairs; cars climb hills; yuppees climb the corporate ladder. Hikers climb 14ers by hiking on trails. Any time you summit a 14er, you've climbed!

Climb on
Rock on. +1
+2! Love this!
“There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.” —Aldo Leopold

Instagram: @laura.daughtry | lauradaughtry.com
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

climb

verb

Climb on
I ain't a rock climber. You and I are saying pretty similar things in different ways, so...allow me to agree?
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried