Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What qualifies as summiting a 14er

ONLY Hiking up a Trail
20%
Hiking Up a Trail or Highway but NOT Biking
12%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail but not a highway
4%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail or Highway
49%
Driving Counts as Summitting
14%

Total votes: 178
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Post by madbuck »

LURE wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 pm my arbitrary rule on evans is that you can't even count a bike summit if you started any higher or closer than idaho springs.
This is very specific, but 100% accurate -- go ahead and strike the 1st two words from your sentence!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Remember, It’s not a lie if you believe it
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

I'm of the camp, count em however you want. However, if you're going to call yourself a finisher you need to start from an established trailhead and finish the descent at an established trailhead under your own power. If you can do each one with 3K of vert great but anyone who climbs the Decalibron peaks all separately for the sake of getting 3K is just stubborn IMHO.

So, fill us in, how was it settled?

Mason
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

But make sure you do it "solo", and hopping on one foot.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

If you want to get all technical about it, I would argue the only “real” mountaineering routes on either Pikes or Evans are the technical rock and snow routes: https://ascentionism.com/mountaineering ... ifference/. Therefore, for the purposes of peak-bagging, I would say a summit achieved by bicycle is every bit as valid (can be “counted”) as one achieved by hiking to the top. Personally, I thought riding to the summit of Pikes Peak on my bike was way more challenging and enjoyable than the times I’ve simply hiked it.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 pm Personally I don't count summits that I drive to or very close to, nor (with one exception) do I sign the logs if I drove to them or very close, but others do. The only exception was the highpoint in Indiana. I wanted to sign the log just so I could whine about how lame flat highpointing is.

As an example, I don't count myself as summitting (nor do I sign logs for) Mauna Kea (Hawaii state highpoint) even though I have been on the summit. My logs only record Mauna Loa since I walked up that one.

A lot of people have "counted" Mauna Kea even though they drove to very near the top, but that's their own business.
Several of the state high points are so low and flat that your criteria would exclude them. I think it would be asinine for me to say I "summitted" the high points of OH, IN, FL, RI, DE, etc, but I do say I visited them. It just involved thousands of miles of driving and a few feet of walking.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

It's your list. Count what you want. Unless you're claiming a 'new' accomplishment (speed record, style, etc), no one really cares.

However be honest with what you have done. Don't claim to climb a peak if you have not actually made it the the high point, or drive within 100' and walk the rest, or claim to solo a peak(s) when the you have not.

And just because someone hasn't bragged about it on the interweb, doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:49 pm It counts if you want it to because hiking and peakbagging is solely your endeavor. No one cares about your list. There are no rules. Unless, as previously mentioned, you're trying to be first to do something or make a big public deal about it. Otherwise, carry on and don't think too hard about it
my vote for "most correct" assessment of this situation goes to eric. hiking is not a team sport but if you're going to claim to be the first or fastest to do something you better have proof and you better provide it when prompted.
d_baker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 pm
angry wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:53 pm
d_baker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:36 pm Probably the only time "the how" counts is if one is claiming a "first."
If you're claiming something, be sure to leave business cards and or fliers in/with summit registers for self-promotion.
OMG please don't do that and leave your book flyers at home!
Why not?
It "worked" for Dr Jon, and now he's (in)famous.
for goodness sake. no one climbing/hiking 13ers gives a s**t about your book, darin- the only people who think you're special are the ones who drive to the top of pikes peak and count it as a summit.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sooshee »

I really don't care how people count their summits.

I've ridden a bike up both Pikes Peak and Mount Evans (which has included going to the true summit). I count them as completed on my peak lists. When I did Evans, I rode from Idaho Springs, and that was a legit long, hard day with it being the longest climb I've ever done on a bike (I think over 6500' of gain, can't remember exactly without checking Strava). I really don't care if others don't think that counts, I count it as it was a lot harder than if I walked in my mind. Pikes Peak was a national championship race for me, and once again, a hard day with a hard effort, thought it was well under two hours of suffering. Way harder than if I just did a normal hike up, and there weren't donuts....

My personal rule is I do want to hit true summit. I heckle my climbing partner all the time about his six climbs of Mount Saint Helens, but how he's never gone to the true summit. But its in good fun, at the end of the day, he can count them how he wants.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I like the analogy of biking vs skinning with skis. So if you are a person who says biking up doesn't count, neither should skinning up count either. What about snowshoeing?

My pet peeve on mt evans when I biked it, was watching all the road bikers ride to the parking lot at the top, get their picture by the sign, then go back down. 90% of them didn't walk up the last 100 feet. But I bet all of them claimed they rode to the top of mt evans.

PS riding up from echo lake counts too. Its 3000+ ft :P
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

:cry:
stephakett wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:42 am
d_baker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 pm
angry wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:53 pm

OMG please don't do that and leave your book flyers at home!
Why not?
It "worked" for Dr Jon, and now he's (in)famous.
for goodness sake. no one climbing/hiking 13ers gives a s**t about your book, darin- the only people who think you're special are the ones who drive to the top of pikes peak and count it as a summit.
:cry:
I haven't even started to write my book, and already the hate. To be expected though.
Actually maybe you (the public and fans) could help me decide what to write about.
Also, I don't know if I have branded my user name well enough.
Author pseudonym suggestions?
I think 'd' could be used for several different variations.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

nyker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:34 pm ...in a conversation with other mountaineers, summiting via bicycle vs walking probably won't be considered apples and apples; i.e. how did you get up that chimney?, class 4 move, etc.
If you can get up a class 4 chimney on a bike then heck yeah, I'd say that counts - maybe even counts as double! :lol: :lol: :lol: