Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What qualifies as summiting a 14er

ONLY Hiking up a Trail
20%
Hiking Up a Trail or Highway but NOT Biking
12%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail but not a highway
4%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail or Highway
49%
Driving Counts as Summitting
14%

Total votes: 178
mushroompirahna
14ers: 15 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Post by mushroompirahna »

My friends and I have had a long-running debate. They claim that biking up the highway for Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak qualifies as summitting the mountain on the basis that they are ascending the total elevation on their own power. I claim that you must complete a mountaineering route (regardless of if it's on a bike or hiking), and thus biking the Barr trail would qualify, but biking up the road does not count (despite it still being impressive and difficult to bike up the Pikes Peak Highway).
I decided to post this here to see what other people think qualifies as an ascent and I added a few additional claims one could make to make it a well rounded poll.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

It's your list. Count them how you want.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

If you touched the top, you summited. I think that some feats are more impressive than others, but I’ve always considered summiting to be a black/white thing. All the stuff about 3,000’, car vs bike vs foot…etc is irrelevant to the question of whether or not you objectively touched the top.

It goes both ways though. Hiking 20 miles and 6,000’ on sunlight without doing the block wouldn’t be a summit in my book, even though driving up pikes and walking 50 feet would be.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:03 pm It's your list. Count them how you want.
:thumbup:
Aim high to end high
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Driving to the top of a mountain isn't summitting, it's driving.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

In response to the question of whether someone who rides a bicycle up the Mount Evans road, and then walks up to the summit, has "climbed" Evans, I am persuaded by what Roach has to say on this subject in his Colorado Fourteener's guidebook. Paraphased, Roach says yes, the bicyclist ascended under their own power and even hauled up the bicycle's weight. So yes, this may be an "ascent", but it is not a "climb" and is outside the sport of mountaineering. The cyclist ascended Evans under their own power, but with considerable aid from mechanical advantage. Climbers should carry their equipment, not let their equipment carry them.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:03 pm It's your list. Count them how you want.
This.

Although I think it's silly to claim that you "climbed" Mt. Evans if you drove to almost the top, it's your list.

Personally I don't count summits that I drive to or very close to, nor (with one exception) do I sign the logs if I drove to them or very close, but others do. The only exception was the highpoint in Indiana. I wanted to sign the log just so I could whine about how lame flat highpointing is.

As an example, I don't count myself as summitting (nor do I sign logs for) Mauna Kea (Hawaii state highpoint) even though I have been on the summit. My logs only record Mauna Loa since I walked up that one.

A lot of people have "counted" Mauna Kea even though they drove to very near the top, but that's their own business.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

hellmanm wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:18 pm If you touched the top, you summited. I think that some feats are more impressive than others, but I’ve always considered summiting to be a black/white thing. All the stuff about 3,000’, car vs bike vs foot…etc is irrelevant to the question of whether or not you objectively touched the top.

It goes both ways though. Hiking 20 miles and 6,000’ on sunlight without doing the block wouldn’t be a summit in my book, even though driving up pikes and walking 50 feet would be.
Hell yeah hellmanm. I like the 3000' rule. However, "summiting" is summiting, regardless of how you got there. Taking the Imperial chair lift to within 200 ft of Peak 8 and hiking the rest, is summiting. Heli-skiing in AK is summiting too I suppose. That's why I like the 3000 ft rule.
Gene913 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:33 pm In response to the question of whether someone who rides a bicycle up the Mount Evans road, and then walks up to the summit, has "climbed" Evans, I am persuaded by what Roach has to say on this subject in his Colorado Fourteener's guidebook. Paraphased, Roach says yes, the bicyclist ascended under their own power and even hauled up the bicycle's weight. So yes, this may be an "ascent", but it is not a "climb" and is outside the sport of mountaineering. The cyclist ascended Evans under their own power, but with considerable aid from mechanical advantage. Climbers should carry their equipment, not let their equipment carry them.
If I ski up a summit, I'm still climbing it even though my skis are carrying me over the surface of the snow, at considerable advantage by allowing me to disperse my weight over a larger area than what could be achieved by foot. Maybe that's false equivalence. Skis are allowed in wilderness areas. Bikes are not.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

my arbitrary rule on evans is that you can't even count a bike summit if you started any higher or closer than idaho springs.
joliver9321
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joliver9321 »

Hiking is hiking, biking is biking and driving is driving. Only on the rare occasion is a 14er accessible to bikes and cars so in the end I feel this does not constitute a legitimate summit. I've driven to the top of Mount Evans and walked the remainder to the summit but do not count it as a summit. For me its the personal gratification and pride I get from summitting a 14er on my own physical power, carrying my own gear and enduring the early morning awaking, hiking in total darkness, stopping to refuel my calories, staying hydrated etc.
James Oliver
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

I'd say, if you think you summitted, then you summitted, and if you need others to validate that for you, then you need therapy
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

In this case, it's "between my friend and me." Debate settled.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams