Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What qualifies as summiting a 14er

ONLY Hiking up a Trail
20%
Hiking Up a Trail or Highway but NOT Biking
12%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail but not a highway
4%
Hiking or Biking up a Trail or Highway
49%
Driving Counts as Summitting
14%

Total votes: 178
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Settle a Debate between My Friend and I

Post by 12ersRule »

Settle a bet for me, is your peak list for real or do you fake all your summits?
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Above_Treeline wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:24 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:19 pm
It counts if you want it to.
That's lame though. How do you decide? Drove up Evans and pikes as a kid, doesn't count. OK rode up with the adults. Not sure what to think of cycling up a road
It's lame but who cares.
Well, there's that :D

Lol maybe its the mood I'm in that cracked me up
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

d_baker wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:25 am :cry:
I haven't even started to write my book, and already the hate. To be expected though.
Actually maybe you (the public and fans) could help me decide what to write about.
Also, I don't know if I have branded my user name well enough.
Author pseudonym suggestions?
I think 'd' could be used for several different variations.
I always admired people who can bake. If I ever get to choose my superhero power, that would be the one.

So why would you waste such great username on writing about anything else?
timisimaginary
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

outside of record attempts (which should have pre-defined criteria for what is considered acceptable), everyone is entitled to their own definition of what "counts". for me that would be:

"summited" - reached the highest point by any means (on foot, ski, bike, car, helicopter, jetpack, teleportation, etc)
"ascended" - reached the summit entirely under one's own power (foot/ski/bike = yes, car/helicopter/jetpack = no, teleportation = TBD)
"climbed" - reached the summit by foot only

i see cars from time to time with the bumper sticker saying "This car climbed Mt. Washington"... i think that's accurate. the car climbed the mountain, the driver didn't.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm outside of record attempts (which should have pre-defined criteria for what is considered acceptable), everyone is entitled to their own definition of what "counts". for me that would be:

"summited" - reached the highest point by any means (on foot, ski, bike, car, helicopter, jetpack, teleportation, etc)
"ascended" - reached the summit entirely under one's own power (foot/ski/bike = yes, car/helicopter/jetpack = no, teleportation = TBD)
"climbed" - reached the summit by foot only

i see cars from time to time with the bumper sticker saying "This car climbed Mt. Washington"... i think that's accurate. the car climbed the mountain, the driver didn't.
^Full agreement on this perspective. "Summited" means you got to the highest natural point, no restrictions on how, very black and white. Everything else; climbed, hiked, crawled, biked, skied, flew, etc.; is a subset of "summited", and can have lots more gray area.
I thought, I taught, I wrought
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

madbuck wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 pm
LURE wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 pm my arbitrary rule on evans is that you can't even count a bike summit if you started any higher or closer than idaho springs.
This is very specific, but 100% accurate -- go ahead and strike the 1st two words from your sentence!
oh it's arbitrary alright.

it's based on nothing. other than i feel like it should be that way :mrgreen:
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

There's seemingly a little bit of "hiker bias" in the question, which assumes that hiking is harder than biking, and if one uses a bike, then it shouldn't count as a summit.

I have three types of summiting experiences for Mt. Evans.

1) A couple hiking ascents starting from Guanella Pass, and in each case we hiked to the top. Seems only natural in these circumstances.

2) Racing in the Bob Cook Memorial Race from Idaho Springs, which I've done the last 5 or so years. Last year I came in at about 2h 34m, which probably isn't too bad for an old guy over 50. In years past, I've hiked to the top in my bike cleats to finish it off, and sometimes I've remembered to throw sandals in my gear bag that's transported to the top to make the walk a little easier. Last year, it was cold and windy at the finish line and I skipped the summit. And no regrets here, and no feeling of "I left something unfinished." The importance of my day rested in the race result, and summiting was really a meaningless or trivial aspect of the race. Very few racers care about reaching the summit. (And I suppose this would be "cycler bias.")

3) Driving around Denver, I had frequently looked at Evans and thought about riding my bike to the summit of Evans from town. About five years ago in June (to capitalize upon the very early sunrise), I started my ride from Littleton Blvd and Broadway in Littleton and biked to the top of Evans (about 60 miles and 11,000' of climbing, and an 11 hour day RT). And here I made sure to climb the last part, as biking that far and then not doing the last bit to reach the summit would make absolutely no sense.

So, the context of the goals can determine the importance of summiting.

As for the "hiker bias," I've done the Pike Peak hill climb as well, and I've seen people walk there bikes up the last part of the road. Walking/hiking is what people do on hills if they lack the strength to turn the pedals over, so in that respect, if cyclists possess the strength to turn the pedals over to reach the parking lot and then they walk to the summit, no reason why it shouldn't count.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

You can say it's your list do whatever you want, but that's not really true because if you are talking to someone and they say "oh yea, I do 14ers too," and then as you talk to them more they're counting driving up pikes, you're probably going to think they're an idiot. So there is credibility involved

I'm having a bit of a hard time counting cycling, but I don't even know where the interstate is compared to Evans. I don't think you hurt your credibility counting it sounds harder than hiking from summit lake. Sounds impressive
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm "climbed" - reached the summit by foot only
Rarely does "climbing" describe an activity in the mountaineering sense where one does not use their upper body/hands to gain upward progress.

"Climbing":
arms.jpg
arms.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 473 times
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

justiner wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:28 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm "climbed" - reached the summit by foot only
Rarely does "climbing" describe an activity in the mountaineering sense where one does not use their upper body/hands to gain upward progress.
That's my initial reaction, too.... but then I remember it's also called 'climbing steps'
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:28 pm Rarely does "climbing" describe an activity in the mountaineering sense where one does not use their upper body/hands to gain upward progress.

"Climbing":

arms.jpg
Very suspiciously looking photo, trying to recreate 1936 Olympics poster maybe?
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 11.14.00.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 11.14.00.jpeg (300.48 KiB) Viewed 410 times
I should be on a mountain