Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
defygravity
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Self Supported 14er Record Attempt

Post by defygravity »

Totally agree with Brent. Driving and being my own crew was harder than the hiking and climbing during the self supported record. I definitely underestimated how hard that was going to be.
Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:41 pm
12ersRule wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:31 am
Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 am Guarantee I appreciate the effort more than most people on this site.
Guess you appreciate the subtlety of a fine Bourdeaux as well, while the rest of us just think "mmm, grape-y".
I'm not a sommelier so it all tastes like aged vinegar to me, but I did attempt the same FKT starting with the exact same route starting on the exact same date one year ago. I actually ran into Dan on the Columbia-Harvard traverse just a couple hours before I was stormed off Yale and decided to call it.

The biggest challenges for me were driving tired and persistent electrical storms setting me back before I pulled the plug (pun intended?). There just isn't much room for weather setbacks when "self" supported. I think Dan set himself up for success by having a van. Managing gear, food, wet clothes, etc. is hard with confined space on the go.

FWIW, he's right on schedule with the schedule I had last year. After the Wilson Group, I drove over Cinnamon Pass and spent the night at Silver Ck/Grizzly Gulch to knock out Sunshine/Redcloud/Handies then that same day did Wetterhorn and Uncompag... getting benighted on Uncompag. Drove the next morning to to Creede for San Luis - that one took forever cause of the driving and the 3000 ft rule. I don't think Dan shared his intended schedule publicly? Here's the one I came up with:

14ers schedule.png

Peter did not provide me the schedule or route he followed and nothing is publicly available with it. To be honest, there's hardly anything from Peter except for a blurb on the old FKT forum site saying "I followed the 3000ft rule and did this."

https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/peter- ... 1995-08-15

https://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/ ... rado-14ers
2022 Self Supported 14er Record
Allllllmost 300 14er summits RN
defygravity
Trip Reports (0)

Post by defygravity »

I was so stomach sick that I could hardly stand up straight. My eyes were blurry and the nausea was really bad, so it seemed best to skip the traverse and make it home alive. I tipped over going up Blanca's ridge and almost fell off the east side cliff. It was not a good day!
glenmiz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:54 pm 2.88 hrs low traverse to Blanca. Not sure what pushed him that way; the weather has been building east of the Sangres but it looks like it's been relatively calm on the west side.
Last edited by defygravity on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
defygravity
Trip Reports (0)

Post by defygravity »

Dead on. It's almost an exact time wash to do Gash or drive.
thebeave7 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:27 pm
ClimbingFool wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:53 pm Legal considerations aside, what's the typical way to climb Lindsey on these unsupported link-ups. Dash the gash out and back, or do Lindsey on its own from the East?
If doing it supported you def do a through run from Blanca down the Gash to Lindsey and exit Huerfano.
Unsupported of course he's gotta get back to his car, so from a total time perspective it's prob a wash on going up and down the gash vs driving around to the main route. The trouble w the link of the gash is its 5.4 and the ridge in between is not very fast so its tough and tiring terrain. Opting for driving around and doing it separately might take a little longer, but it's an easier and prob less stressful route and he gets to sit for a while. It's a tough balance of efficiency vs taking care of the body, as the long traverses take a lot out of one.

Eric
defygravity
Trip Reports (0)

Post by defygravity »

Andrew is right, I didn't know about that gully as a summer route. It looks really loose, what is the actual beta on it's uphill ease? Also, 2000ft an hr is 2000 ft an hour, taking the easiest path is my preference.

painless4u2 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:06 pm Curious, why would he not have taken the SE Gully on Humboldt, as seen on previous FKT routes, instead of having to double back?
Screenshot (154).png
defygravity
Trip Reports (0)

Post by defygravity »

Indeed, I learned how to ride a dirt bike this June by doing Baldwin gulch many many times. 🤣 Not the best way to learn, but necessity is a powerful motivator.
LucasR wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 am I wonder if he had to learn how to ride a dirt bike for this effort. Those 4wd roads seem like they would be a challenge for a newbie.
Last edited by defygravity on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defygravity
Trip Reports (0)

Post by defygravity »

Not sure if you made it to Beast's presence at the happy hour but...

Beast is an RB Econoline with a Ujoint Off-road 4x4 conversion, Colorado Campervan topper, and I built out the inside specifically for the record. It has lots of other mods like f/r lockers, built in air compressor, extra gas tank, etc.. Tires are 37" k02's. Not the best in serious crawling situations as the sidewalls are weaker than crawler tires, but the k02's are better on pavement and dirt.

In regards to the Antero Shav and Tab routes, I did those approaches like nine times and in every way possible trying to figure that out.

two lunches wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:32 pm hi Dan- when you get back, i just want to get a vote in to hear more about two things in this endeavor-
andrewhamilton wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:34 am You should see his rig. Jacked up van that looks like it can handle anything. He has a microwave in reach of the drivers seat so he can eat on the go, and has a dirt bike and mountain bike on the back, along with a nice sleeping area in the van.
first off, i'd love a virtual tour of the van. how big is it (wheelbase), how long have you had it, did you build it out yourself, what kind of suspension system was installed to accommodate 37s, any engine mods, and obviously- what kind of tire are you running?
glenmiz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:31 am Looks like that's where he's headed. Pretty interesting strategy.

Dirt bike to end 4wd road
Walk down Browns Creek trail to ~11,200'
Turn around and ascend Tab/Shav
Drop north from Tab/Shav saddle
Pass dirt bike on road
Walk down Browns Creek trail to ~11,200'
Get on Dirt bike and return to Beast
Hike up/down Antero
Head to Elbert/Massive
#2 i really need to know how you thought this up. this is a brilliant strategy for these peaks and i'm dying to hear more about it! have you always been a dirtbiker, or was this a side-hobby you picked up for the effort? what kind of bike do you have?

keep on keeping on! you're doing amazing out there!!
Baliwp00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Baliwp00 »

Congrats, Dan! I just realized (after looking at the time stamps) that you were the guy I passed on the way down after summiting Pyramid. Right at the top of the green rock. You said Pyramid was one of your favorites. Excellent work!