Mt Wilson weather

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lville
14ers: 51 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Mt Wilson weather

Post by Lville »

My son and I were hoping to get El Diente/Mt Wilson in the next few days. Plan was to drive up from Front Range and backpack in on Sat and then get El D and Mt W separately on Mon/Tue or ideally both via the low traverse if weather cooperates. I suspect we won't hike fast enough to get both on the same day - and we're not considering the high traverse. We're both experienced w/ 14ers, but the problem is that the weather has been very discouraging of late. I'm aware that it's monsoon season, but wondering if maybe it's a little worse at present. I'm also concerned about the recent heavy rain providing extra lubricant for the already loose rocks on these two. I've gotten a number of peaks in late July/early Aug over the years w/ weather that has generally cooperated for our 4-6am starts and off the top by 10-12noon. We don't have to go this weekend, and we like to play it safe, but would like to knock out the pair if we can, and it looks like there *might* be weather windows Sun/Mon early - though it seems to get worse daily.

I guess my question is - are things a little worse than usual at present around the Wilsons? To the point that it would be prudent to just hold off for now?

thanks for any thoughts - especially if you live in or have been in the area of late.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt Wilson weather

Post by madmattd »

There's a handful of roads in that general area that have closed/been closed due to mudslide issues the last few days (I don't have a list handy) due to a LOT of rainfall. Read into that what you will, but the (mountain) weather reports have also all been mentioning this being an above-average monsoon season thus far, just like it's seemed like. Long-ish range suggests it will continue the next 2 weeks.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Lville wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:07 am My son and I were hoping to get El Diente/Mt Wilson in the next few days....I'm aware that it's monsoon season, but wondering if maybe it's a little worse at present...We don't have to go this weekend, and we like to play it safe, but would like to knock out the pair if we can...

I guess my question is - are things a little worse than usual at present around the Wilsons? To the point that it would be prudent to just hold off for now?

thanks for any thoughts - especially if you live in or have been in the area of late.
Currently in Silverton area. Monsoon flow is significant, more than average in the past few days. It is expected to continue the next few weeks with surges 7/28-7/30, and again next week 8/3-8/4 per Chris Tomer's forecast (you can follow him on FB) and per NOAA. We had successful short hikes on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Off summits by 0900, and not camping. Personally, I'd punt ElD and Mt W to a drier window. Have been stuck in my tent for 2-3 days in San Juans before, I don't recommend it, if you can avoid it! You'll both have more fun if you wait it out.

EDIT: Mudslide info that I'm aware of (likely more exist) 7/26 closing Hwy 550 near Red Mtn pass - has been cleared, and yesterday in upper Yankee Boy Basin, stranding vehicles.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Be careful if you decide to go for it. My 2 cents- It's been raining a lot here, rockfall will be a concern with how much rain we have got, scrambling will also be on slick rock, there's barely any sunlight today for the rocks to dry. Will be a good time to hike to some lakes if you are looking to get outside.
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maff »

For what it's worth, we did Wilson Peak on Wednesday from Rock of Ages TH. Got my Hyundai Elantra to just before the creek crossing with no troubles. Got a little rain Tues night in camp late afternoon and around bedtime (8pm). Overcast morning but no issues with rock conditions (in terms of being wet etc). Rained hard on us driving out around 2pm but held up until then, and no problems getting back down the road in the rain in my little sedan. Can't speak to how it's changed since then, and obviously this was Peak, not Mt. or El Diente. Just thought I'd share since I was just there.
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Did the traverse last week. Between the time it took to descend from just above the notch and to climb up to the summit it went from clear to dark clouds. Then within 5 minutes of summiting a hail storm started and the rocks started buzzing. In other words Mt Wilson creates it's own weather so be prepared to ditch quickly so you don't have to down climb slick class 4 rock. This happened at 11am, well before the forecast predicted for that day. Don't mean to scare you but it can be quite serious there.
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
Lville
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

Thank you for your thoughtful responses all. I think we'll postpone until we see a better window. You never know what you'll get, but we'll just wait to improve our odds.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

sunny1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:39 am
Lville wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:07 am My son and I were hoping to get El Diente/Mt Wilson in the next few days....I'm aware that it's monsoon season, but wondering if maybe it's a little worse at present...We don't have to go this weekend, and we like to play it safe, but would like to knock out the pair if we can...

Currently in Silverton area. Monsoon flow is significant, more than average in the past few days. It is expected to continue the next few weeks with surges 7/28-7/30, and again next week 8/3-8/4 per Chris Tomer's forecast (you can follow him on FB) and per NOAA. We had successful short hikes on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Off summits by 0900, and not camping. Personally, I'd punt ElD and Mt W to a drier window. Have been stuck in my tent for 2-3 days in San Juans before, I don't recommend it, if you can avoid it! You'll both have more fun if you wait it out.

EDIT: Mudslide info that I'm aware of (likely more exist) 7/26 closing Hwy 550 near Red Mtn pass - has been cleared, and yesterday in upper Yankee Boy Basin, stranding vehicles.
THIS :thumbup:

Unless you are fairly experienced with that kind of rock and ok with dodgy weather, I would wait until the monsoon calms down. I agree 100% with everything Sunny1 said.
The rains down here, especially within the Sneffels Range have been no joke. There WAS a mudslide on 550 at Ironton, it's cleared away now. Yankee Boy was closed at Thimbledown
Campground because of a BIG mudslide.
I imagine RoA and Killpacker ae probably accessible still, but you still run into the problem of afternoon rains on already muddy roads as you leave on questionable terrain. Plus the
dilemma of wet rock.
I'd wait.
Lville
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

It looks like weather was pretty good this weekend and into about Tues/Wed or so this week according to the various forecasts and the Chris Tomer Facebook reports. Are folks in the area or who have summitted recently seeing better conditions lately and hopefully into first half of this week? Thinking of possibly getting Wilson/ElD on the "low" traverse from Kilpacker on Tuesday.
thanks!