Connecting peaks from mt. sherman

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nickbeger
Trip Reports (0)

Connecting peaks from mt. sherman

Post by nickbeger »

I am planning to climb mt. sherman and haven't tackled any of the other peaks near it yet either. I heard that its possible to cross to other 14er peaks from the top of sherman and was wondering if that was true. If so any tips or experiences from people who have taken those routes would be really helpful as i havent found anything online about it.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Connecting peaks from mt. sherman

Post by daway8 »

Lots of adjacent 13ers that can be combined in all sorts of ways but for other 14ers you'd have to do an insanely long ridge traverse up to the Decalibron - I have no doubt various crazy folks on here have done that but it's probably out of reach for most normal folks.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

The good ole' SheDBroLic?
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 110
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical_volume »

This website has a very nice interactive map feature you can use to check out the 14er locations, play around with that!

To answer your question, though, the closest 14er to Sherman is Democrat. but it's quite a long ways away by foot! you'd need to go over Dyer, Evans, Kuss peak (unranked), Mosquito peak, treasurevault (unranked), tweto and Bucksin to get to it.
Runnin around - Rob_e179
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

daway8 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:22 pm Lots of adjacent 13ers that can be combined in all sorts of ways but for other 14ers you'd have to do an insanely long ridge traverse up to the Decalibron - I have no doubt various crazy folks on here have done that but it's probably out of reach for most normal folks.
Attachments
3miuwp.jpg
3miuwp.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 593 times
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

justiner wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:55 pm
daway8 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:22 pm
Well on a site where some folks do all the 14ers in a week or two, or do a dozen in a day while others struggle to do one or two in a day, you gotta make a few distinctions...

Maybe you might stroll that long ridge (though I've never bothered to see if it actually goes) but I sure wouldn't be up for it...

Edit for clarity: "crazy" in the context off my original comment is not meant in a negative way but more along the lines of a crazy good hiker - such as those I alluded to setting these mind blowing records. I have nothing but the upmost respect for those "crazy" people.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

daway8 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:22 pm Lots of adjacent 13ers that can be combined in all sorts of ways but for other 14ers you'd have to do an insanely long ridge traverse up to the Decalibron - I have no doubt various crazy folks on here have done that but it's probably out of reach for most normal folks.
there's um, some information about that route here, OP: https://justinsimoni.com/mosquito-tenmi ... -traverse/
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

two lunches wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:16 am
there's um, some information about that route here, OP: https://justinsimoni.com/mosquito-tenmi ... -traverse/
Bwahaha, why am I not surprised that justiner is in fact one of those crazies? See, I knew there had to be people out there who had actually done it but not being content with the insane enough stroll between the peaks mentioned he did the whole freakin range?!? Yep, that's insanity right there. :lol:
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I did this at least twice, both times in the dark while attempting to traverse from Weston Pass to Frisco. This section is pretty chill, with some short class 3 spots. I think it's about 11 miles from Sherman to Demo, which would be very reasonable to do in a day (if you can figure out the shuttle). Continuing on to Quandary is less chill.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Caltopo says 16 miles and +7.5k for a shuttle-assisted traverse from sherm to democrat. So maybe closer to 20 miles and 9k if you track on gaia or strava but who knows. Damn coastline paradox...Lots of talus tho and all above 12k. Plus some easy class 3 around tweto and buckskin. But, if you are in great shape and trust your instincts with weather this could be an excellent day out!
-wren-
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

I think what OP is looking for is the traverse from Horseshoe to Sherman. No shuttle, all from Fourmile Creek TH. That's around the exact same stats as the decalibron, 8-9 miles +3.2k-3.5k gain. and there is at least a faint trail the whole way. Nets you 3 13ers, 4 if you run over to gemini from sherman. Just follow the crest of the ridge the whole way from Horseshoe. Very runnable if that''s your thing.
-wren-
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

two lunches wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:16 am
Attempting most of this (Frisco to Weston Pass) more slowly and with nights spent off the ridge in September. Probably going to take 1.5-2 times as long as his 3 days and change, and that's if I even have the stamina. Justin, you are a beast. That writeup is a must read for anyone who's come across it!