What about hitting Eagles Nest from Upper Cataract Lake?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

What about hitting Eagles Nest from Upper Cataract Lake?

Post by jibler »

And instead of dropping down toward the lake - at highest point along approaching ridge you just start busting up

coming at Eagles Nest from northeast?

I was at that lake once like 10 years ago - it was OK - but I have forever regretted not pulling this move instead just to see what's up there.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: What about hitting Eagles Nest from Upper Cataract Lake?

Post by Scott P »

Yes, I have done that route. It was in 2001 so a long time ago. I remember a few class 4 moves and bypasses, but nothing too serious.

The route from the SW is less technical, but longer.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

This has a track from U Cataract Lake https://listsofjohn.com/tr?Id=13766&pkid=380
Aim high to end high
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Just posted a TR on Eagles Nest from Surprise Lake TH. I camped at Mirror Lake and climbed the W slopes / ridge and descended the N ridge. I was thinking that if one were to daytrip from the NE, bushwhacking up to the N ridge from Upper Cataract Lake might be the best way.

However the W face and camping at Mirror Lake made for a great overnighter. The W slopes/ridge are much easier technically and route finding-wise.

If ya do it from Upper Cataract please report back!
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

thanks for input

i feel this endeavor could be worth it - even if eagle nest not actually topped even

as I'd deal with whatever not to have to drive around the bend all the way up thru vail to get to that kneeknocker pass and whatnot.

but but - i've already shifted my attention to different unconventional route! Now I'm looking hard at going at democrat from the southside - dry rub style in those gullies.

democrat has long been a stranded asset for me - and to get to take it down in different route would be a double win here.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer