Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Post by Jorts »

Are you planning to descend ED via the North Butt? Double back? Descend south?

I thought this traverse went pretty easy with limited exposure. I found myself on somewhat exposed steeper slabs at the uppermost reaches of the North Butt and would imagine the initial downclimbing of that route would require smart routefinding.

-Brent
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Vacas Valley
14ers: 48  8 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Post by Vacas Valley »

Jorts wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:29 am Are you planning to descend ED via the North Butt? Double back? Descend south?

I thought this traverse went pretty easy with limited exposure. I found myself on somewhat exposed steeper slabs at the uppermost reaches of the North Butt and would imagine the initial downclimbing of that route would require smart routefinding.

-Brent
Plan was to ascend Wilson North slopes Traverse over to ED and descend ED standard route. But that has since changed as the consensus is “I would not want to down climb the crux on Wilson”. New plan, Ascend North buttress on ED, and then traverse to Wilson.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Vacas Valley wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:08 pm
Jorts wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:29 am Are you planning to descend ED via the North Butt? Double back? Descend south?

-Brent
Plan was to ascend Wilson North slopes Traverse over to ED and descend ED standard route. But that has since changed as the consensus is “I would not want to down climb the crux on Wilson”. New plan, Ascend North buttress on ED, and then traverse to Wilson.
You have to downclimb the crux on mt Wilson no matter what if you do the traverse from Navajo. The thing you'd want to avoid is downclimbing the north slope couloir on eld. That's why it's better to ascend the buttress and then descend Wilson's n slopes
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Wait, what?

The crux on Mt. Wilson is an up and down affair unless you down climb from the Wilson/El D saddle and use what has become the new standard from the Kilpatrick side. The decision on how to finish Mt. Wilson is really not related to which way you attack the traverse between the two peaks.

Am I missing something?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:26 pm Wait, what?

The crux on Mt. Wilson is an up and down affair unless you down climb from the Wilson/El D saddle and use what has become the new standard from the Kilpatrick side. The decision on how to finish Mt. Wilson is really not related to which way you attack the traverse between the two peaks.

Am I missing something?
If you descend/ climb from the south in Kilpacker you can keep the whole climb of Mt. Wilson 2+ since that route descends directly south from the summit vs. the class 4 crux is on the west ridge/ north slope. So if climbing from the south and starting at El D you can climb up the class 4 on Mt. Wilson and descend via 2+ into kilpacker.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:26 pm Wait, what?

Am I missing something?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

I did the traverse from Wilson to El Diente and don't remember it as particularly difficult
(we stayed on the ridge crest almost the entire way.)

Maybe because the only part I do remember was the lightning storm that blew up half way across
the traverse and the SNAP SNAP SNAP discharge from my ice axe on my back pack to my head.

Not really a problem though. The pee in my shorts dried quickly.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Vacas Valley wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:08 pm Plan was to ascend Wilson North slopes Traverse over to ED and descend ED standard route. But that has since changed as the consensus is “I would not want to down climb the crux on Wilson”. New plan, Ascend North buttress on ED, and then traverse to Wilson.
I'm with Wentzl. From what I recall you traverse out to Mt Wilson irrespective of which direction you traverse. It's def. 4th class and exposed but to my knowledge there has never been an accident there. Seemed headier than any portion of the traverse to my recollection.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring