Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vacas Valley
14ers: 48  8 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Post by Vacas Valley »

I plan on doing this route from Wilson North Slope route and traverse over to El Diente. I don't see much info, good or bad, regarding this trajectory. If anyone
has experience doing the traverse this way and would like to share thoughts, opinions, etc. that would be awesome.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

The hardest section of the traverse for me were the final few moves before Wilson summit. It's very exposed and I would not want to down climb that
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pros and Cons of doing Wilson to El Diente traverse vs. Standard El Diente to Wilson

Post by terribletigzy »

Just did the standard El Diente to Wilson a few weeks back and agree that the last few moves would not be fun to down climb. I would also add that the wall shown in photo #22 of the traverse route description is also a serious obstacle that I would much rather climb up than down. Apart from these two obstacles the route is mostly class 2. Starting the traverse from Wilson has you downclimbing what I would consider to be the two cruxes of the route.
Live a Fuller Life
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

From that side go up the North Buttess on El Diente. Best route on all those peaks. From the north you'd have to downclimb the Mt Wilson summit block going either direction. It's tricky but quite doable. There are a couple variations on those blocks. White rock is better than the polished black, takes you over a little knife edge but better holds and gripper. The black rock has narrow slippery footholds. I went up the black and down the white.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:37 am The hardest section of the traverse for me were the final few moves before Wilson summit. It's very exposed and I would not want to down climb that
I agree, the hardest move is 30 feet from the summit of Wilson heading to El Diente. So good news is, if you get past that it is easier the rest of the way. I personally would not want to do it in that direction.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I second cougar to ascend the N Buttress on El Diente. Rock of Ages approach is shorter but none too pretty- in hindsight I’d rather have camped down in Navajo.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

cougar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm From that side go up the North Buttess on El Diente. Best route on all those peaks.
What John said. Camping at Navajo is definitely the most scenic spot up there. Going up the North Slopes of Mt Wilson is pretty loose, and can get really nasty if you get a little bit off route. The guy I went with got a little off route and ended up pulling down a large boulder that missed his head by a few inches. The move coming down off Mt Wilson is quite exposed and is the crux of the traverse. I did the black both times
@andysoutdooradventures
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I like big buttresses and I cannot lie. Another vote to start with Diente’ buttress via Navajo.
Attachments
47E2222A-A641-45DD-84E3-6E9DC701A1D1.jpeg
47E2222A-A641-45DD-84E3-6E9DC701A1D1.jpeg (438.18 KiB) Viewed 738 times
5C04EB41-8146-49D0-B385-164F77B36BF5.jpeg
5C04EB41-8146-49D0-B385-164F77B36BF5.jpeg (479.82 KiB) Viewed 738 times
2F3E7F63-5E50-4A05-AC1D-DF9C8B5A9181.jpeg
2F3E7F63-5E50-4A05-AC1D-DF9C8B5A9181.jpeg (190.9 KiB) Viewed 738 times
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

cougar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm From that side go up the North Buttess on El Diente. Best route on all those peaks. From the north you'd have to downclimb the Mt Wilson summit block going either direction. It's tricky but quite doable. There are a couple variations on those blocks. White rock is better than the polished black, takes you over a little knife edge but better holds and gripper. The black rock has narrow slippery footholds. I went up the black and down the white.
+1

The N Butt on El D is the best route in the group. If descending Mt. Wilson back to the Rock of Ages pass, without having been there before, see my report "Mt. Wilson Without Tears".

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Skimo95 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:09 pm I like big buttresses and I cannot lie. Another vote to start with Diente’ buttress via Navajo.
:lol:
tortilla
14ers: 58 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

The N buttress and the traverse are fun, everything else on that massif is loose. The wall shown in pictures on the traverse isn’t that bad at all, I downclimbed it and went back up to try a funner line vs path of least resistance. Have fun!
Vacas Valley
14ers: 48  8 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

Seems like there’s a consensus here. I appreciate the input, although it would be nice to hear from individuals who experienced it in the opposite direction. Just to keep the conversation open. Nobody wants to down climb The final crux on Crestone traverse either, but in my opinion, if I had to I would without second thoughts. Exposure and rating is somewhat subjective I understand. Let me reiterate I appreciate the 14ers.com alumni responses and I take it into consideration. Much respect mon.