Crestone Group circuit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrodyMac_99
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Group circuit

Post by BrodyMac_99 »

So I had an interesting trip idea and I wanted to see if others attempt this. I was thinking about starting at challenger point with a willow lake approach from there traverse to Kit Carson. From Kit Carson follow a route to humboldt. Then down to south colony lakes to camp. Next day the crestone traverse and out through the lower south colony trailhead. This is out of my current skill level but I’d love to work towards this if it’s feasible. I’d love to hear advice and opinions. Thanks
BrodyMac_99
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestone Group circuit

Post by BrodyMac_99 »

For anyone wondering it would be 22.4 miles with a rough estimate of 10,000’ gain. Elevation gain is probably inaccurate.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Definitely doable, and has been done in a single push many times without camping.
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

Brody… FWIW, you can save distance starting at upper south colony. Go up broken hand, up needle, down Crestone traverse, up Peak, down NW couloir, cross bears playground, get obstruction, get Columbia, get Kit Carson, go down North ridge, get Challenger, avenue back around kit Carson then regain Columbia and Obstruction, to Humboldt, down SE gully to your car.

We do it yearly and call it the Sangre Slam. It’s taken anywhere between 12 and 15 hours depending on the group’s motivation and fitness over the last three years.

Great day in the mountains with four sections of downward scrambling that really demand your attention.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
BrodyMac_99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrodyMac_99 »

RobLowe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 am Brody… FWIW, you can save distance starting at upper south colony. Go up broken hand, up needle, down Crestone traverse, up Peak, down NW couloir, cross bears playground, get obstruction, get Columbia, get Kit Carson, go down North ridge, get Challenger, avenue back around kit Carson then regain Columbia and Obstruction, to Humboldt, down SE gully to your car.

We do it yearly and call it the Sangre Slam. It’s taken anywhere between 12 and 15 hours depending on the group’s motivation and fitness over the last three years.

Great day in the mountains with four sections of downward scrambling that really demand your attention.
Sounds awesome. I’ll definitely check out that route.
incognitobanjo
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by incognitobanjo »

I've also done it from S Colony Lakes- fun route! Personally I preferred doing it the opposite direction of Rob Lowe, so Humboldt, Kit Carson, Challenger, Peak, then Needle. This has you ascending the NW couloir of the peak (or the N Buttress) and the traverse, but descending the Needle.

There's an FKT page for this route with some interesting variations / more information.
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

incognitobanjo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:05 pm I've also done it from S Colony Lakes- fun route! Personally I preferred doing it the opposite direction of Rob Lowe, so Humboldt, Kit Carson, Challenger, Peak, then Needle. This has you ascending the NW couloir of the peak (or the N Buttress) and the traverse, but descending the Needle.

There's an FKT page for this route with some interesting variations / more information.
I'm adding this to my "To Do" list.
RobLowe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

incognitobanjo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:05 pm I've also done it from S Colony Lakes- fun route! Personally I preferred doing it the opposite direction of Rob Lowe, so Humboldt, Kit Carson, Challenger, Peak, then Needle. This has you ascending the NW couloir of the peak (or the N Buttress) and the traverse, but descending the Needle.

I learned my direction of travel from Hamilton. And it makes some sense given that the needle and peak are your highest likelihood of mistake so best to be done earlier in the day with them when you are mentally fresh and the weather hasn’t deteriorated (Humboldt is just a nicer place to find one’s self—several safe bailouts—when socked in, graupeled on, and buzzing at the end of day, versus Crestone Peak or Crestone Needle, which have minimal safe bailout routes).

onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

What we did was pack in to South Colony Lake early evening. Next day, did Crestone and Needle with the traverse. Day after, did Kit Carson and Challenger and hit Humboldt on the way back. Then packed out late that day. Absolutely grueling, but we did it. Could also stay a 3rd night, hit Humboldt the next morning then pack out- Prob would be back at the trailhead by noon.

The folks who have done all 5 in one shot are beasts. Also need a lot of good weather.
RobLowe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

onebyone wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:47 pm
The folks who have done all 5 in one shot are beasts. Also need a lot of good weather.
I think carrying a heavy pack and spending multiple days out there is way harder than doing it in one day!!!

incognitobanjo
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by incognitobanjo »

RobLowe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:47 pm weather hasn’t deteriorated (Humboldt is just a nicer place to find one’s self—several safe bailouts—when socked in, graupeled on, and buzzing at the end of day, versus Crestone Peak or Crestone Needle, which have minimal safe bailout routes).
Absolutely- I've only done this during good weather, and in so-so conditions getting the Needle+Peak done first makes complete sense. Personally I would much rather ascend the NW couloir and traverse on tired legs than descend them on fresh legs, but I suppose that's just a matter of experience/preference.
BrodyMac_99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrodyMac_99 »

incognitobanjo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:30 pm
RobLowe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:47 pm weather hasn’t deteriorated (Humboldt is just a nicer place to find one’s self—several safe bailouts—when socked in, graupeled on, and buzzing at the end of day, versus Crestone Peak or Crestone Needle, which have minimal safe bailout routes).
Absolutely- I've only done this during good weather, and in so-so conditions getting the Needle+Peak done first makes complete sense. Personally I would much rather ascend the NW couloir and traverse on tired legs than descend them on fresh legs, but I suppose that's just a matter of experience/preference.
No right answers. I love the amount of creativity this hobby creates. It’s awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions