Evans/Guanella Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Evans/Guanella Conditions?

Post by greenonion »

Anybody have info on conditions for the Guanella approach to Evans via Scott Gomer Creek or the steeper gully to hiker's right? Especially of the wet marshy/willowy area as you leave the Bierstadt trail?
Bigfoot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Evans/Guanella Conditions?

Post by Bigfoot »

I hiked this both up and down on Sept 11. There is a trail the whole way up the valley, although it is a lot easier to find/follow coming down. There was no problem with the willows as the trail seems well used. There was quite a bit of standing water and mud. Heading up lost the trail once when it turned under the water, but was easy to reacquire further along. From the creek crossing, after about 350 feet is a large boulder with a trail next to it. This is NOT the trail. (My track shows we turned here.) Continue another 150 feet to a trail at an open spot in the willows. (My track returned here.)

The trail continues across the creek and up the gully. There is no trail from above the gully until just before the west ridge starts when you join the trail coming from Mt. Spalding.

Image Image
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks. That looks like you followed S Gomer creek at first, upon leaving the Bierstadt trail, but then proceeded on to the steeper gully to the hiker's right of Gomer drainage. Correct? You're photo looking down also appears to be at or near the top of the steeper (non Gomer) gully.
Bigfoot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigfoot »

Yeah, about half way along the creek I lost the trail when it turned under a flooded area along the edge of that flooded meadow. We went higher along the side of the valley and into the trees trying to get above the willows. Then we were able to see the trail below and rejoined it. At the end of the valley where the willows end, the trail turns, crosses the creek, and heads up the gully. The picture looking down was taken at the top of that gully (route picture #5). It's 1.3 miles of willows from the Bierstadt trail turnoff to the creek crossing and the start of the gully climb. There is a well defined trail on the right side of the approach to the gully, then crosses over and the trail goes up the left side.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks again. So just to be sure, you took the steeper gully up (and down) and not Scott Gomer, right?

Gomer is hiker’s left and steep gully Bill describes in conjunction with Sawtooth route is hiker’s right.
Bigfoot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigfoot »

Now I understand what you are asking... :oops: Yes, took the steeper gully at the end of the valley. We did not turn and follow Scott Gomer Creek, as that takes you up on the other side of Mt. Spalding. I guess you could start that way, then take the ridge to Mt. Spalding. We did see two people coming down that way, they appeared to be casting back and forth trying to find a way down through the willows.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks much and got it. Sorry for any discombobulation in my earlier questions!
Vasqujg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vasqujg »

Is mid October ok to do the Beirstadt - Sawtooth- Evans Route?

The class 3 on the Saw Tooth is my primary issue
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Vasqujg wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:16 pm Is mid October ok to do the Beirstadt - Sawtooth- Evans Route?

The class 3 on the Saw Tooth is my primary issue
Was up on Bierstadt yesterday - had been planning to do the Sawtooth but didn't have the time. Otherwise I think it still looked doable. Upper mountain on Bierstadt has snow and you'd probably want spikes descending down to the Sawtooth ridge itself, but most of the backside of the Sawtooth looked pretty dry. Once you cross back to the front side towards the end of the route, you'll have snow again.