Snow on Wilson Group this weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Paddleski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Snow on Wilson Group this weekend?

Post by Paddleski »

I am looking to hike El Diente and traverse to Mt Wilson via Kilpacker trailhead on Saturday (9/24). Then drive to the Rock of ages trailhead in the evening to hike Wilson Peak on Sunday.

Do you think the traverse will be snow/ice covered?

The weather looks great this weekend, but I don't want snow/ice on the ground for the traverse. Rather then deal with snow and ice, Ill wait till next year to hike these. Thoughts?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Snow on Wilson Group this weekend?

Post by Scott P »

There's snow now (the mountains were white from a distance), but I don't know how deep it is since I have just seen the peaks from a distance. I'd expecting to stick around in the shaded areas, but by the weekend it will likely be melted off on the sunny side of the mountain and rocks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gritz3000 »

I was in Telluride for the past week. My plan was to hike Mt.Wilson and El Diente separately, but I bailed because of snow and ice on the high elevation, north facing aspects. This latest low pressure system is on the warm side, but it’s hard to say how it will affect these particular peaks. For more info, there was a helpful condition report with pictures posted on El Diente from 9/18. Hope this helps!
I love lamp.
DenverDani
14ers: 57 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenverDani »

We did Wilson Peak from Navajo Lake on 9/17. South side was clear but there was snow (maybe 3") the last stretch to the summit where you cross to the north side. We used micro spikes and it was okay but it is pretty exposed in this section if that bothers you.

We backpacked around to Kilpacker and did El Diente and Mt. Wilson on 9/18 from the south side separately (no traverse). Minimal snow on the south faces but again there was snow at the top where you cross to the north side of El Diente (again probably a couple inches) and in the shaded areas up the final stretch of Mt. Wilson which also have a fair bit of exposure.

We talked to some groups who traversed both 9/17 and 9/18. 9/17 the Class 4 section up Mt. Wilson sounded sketchy and they were using ropes. 9/18 group didn't report any issues on the traverse.
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

I summited El D on the 17th, and can confirm that there was ice on the North side. It was within my comfort level with micro spikes, but several people I encountered turned back. I opted not to do the traverse.
Sail3733
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sail3733 »

Paddleski wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am I am looking to hike El Diente and traverse to Mt Wilson via Kilpacker trailhead on Saturday (9/24). Then drive to the Rock of ages trailhead in the evening to hike Wilson Peak on Sunday.

The weather looks great this weekend, but I don't want snow/ice on the ground for the traverse. Rather then deal with snow and ice, Ill wait till next year to hike these. Thoughts?
Paddleski. I'm attempting the exact same routes on Wednesday the 28th & 29th (with the additionof S. Wilson). I've been tracking the weather for a week in a weather log & it seems like Saturday & Sunday may still have snow & ice from this week. But, if u can wait a few days, next week seems to have a good run of sunnier/warmer wether. They should help some. You're welcome to join me if you can push back ur trip a few days. If not, please post a TR for us to hear how it goes. Have fun & enjoy!
All mountains are dangerous but some are more dangerous then others. The goal of climbing is to get back to the truck safely.
Paddleski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paddleski »

Thanks for input. It has been extremely helpful.

My next chance probably last chance to get down there (I live in Boulder) would be Oct 8-9

I am going to cancel the trip for this weekend and keep my fingers crossed for Oct 8-9. My goal is to have Culebra as my last 14er and to hike it in July 2023. Maybe it'll be the Wilson group and Culebra for July 2023.

Thanks again
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Sail3733 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:10 pm
Paddleski wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am I am looking to hike El Diente and traverse to Mt Wilson via Kilpacker trailhead on Saturday (9/24). Then drive to the Rock of ages trailhead in the evening to hike Wilson Peak on Sunday.

Paddleski. I'm attempting the exact same routes on Wednesday the 28th & 29th (with the additionof S. Wilson). I've been tracking the weather for a week in a weather log & it seems like Saturday & Sunday may still have snow & ice from this week. But, if u can wait a few days, next week seems to have a good run of sunnier/warmer wether. They should help some. You're welcome to join me if you can push back ur trip a few days. If not, please post a TR for us to hear how it goes. Have fun & enjoy!
I'm planning to do Wilson Peak on Monday but if it looks like there will still be snow there I may do something else.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Sail3733
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sail3733 »

Paddleski wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:45 am Thanks for input. It has been extremely helpful.

My next chance probably last chance to get down there (I live in Boulder) would be Oct 8-9

I am going to cancel the trip for this weekend and keep my fingers crossed for Oct 8-9. My goal is to have Culebra as my last 14er and to hike it in July 2023. Maybe it'll be the Wilson group and Culebra for July 2023.

Thanks again
Sounds good, Paddleski. I'll post conditions next week after I've been there. Congrats on finishing next year!
All mountains are dangerous but some are more dangerous then others. The goal of climbing is to get back to the truck safely.