Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Post by OldTrad »

Skimo95 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am Crestone is certainly getting weirder, and not in a good way.
Crestone certainly has plenty of weirdness, but my guess is this that most of the folks we're talking about here (I'm talking about the characters at the Como TH, road and lake) are more generally from the San Luis Valley, and not Crestone itself.
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

Ha I was just about to ask what the town of Crestone was all about
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Scott P wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:20 am I once met an old hermit near Mt. Timpanogos (Utah) who claimed to own all of the land between Timpanogos and Cascade Peak. He said that we shouldn't hike there because he had sheds on the mountain that can't be disturbed. We parked somewhere else and took another route.
How rude. Joshua Norton proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, but still allowed immigrants to come in.
Istoodupthere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

Skimo95 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am Crestone is certainly getting weirder, and not in a good way.
I believe I’m finally pulling the trigger and moving to CO in near future. Looking for a place with easy access to Sangres and San Juan’s. You just answered my question as to whether or not I should consider Crestone
Istoodupthere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

lodgling wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:36 am Sounds like you might have run into some Spice Guys:

Spice Guy Don't Ski
Just read your trip report. Absolutely hilarious…Except the fact that as a mostly solo hiker who thinks too much about lions and bears, I now have to think about spice guys at 4am. Thanks
Codyhill1991
14ers: 58 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Codyhill1991 »

The Sangres are a weird weird place. I love this range but I'm sure it has a disproportionate amount of weirdo stories.
vegabond
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vegabond »

Ran across a fully naked hiker on my way to cottonwood lake this summer, visually embarrassed, cupped his junk, I’ve got no problems with it, keeps long approaches interesting!
scott4long
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott4long »

A friend and I crossed paths on the Conundrum Creek trail with a guy wearing nothing but hiking boots, a leather belt with a knife, and an... um.... intimate male piercing. I've encountered plenty of clothing-optional people at the hot springs themselves, but this was my first time seeing someone bouncing naked through the forest. Guy was overly friendly and talkative, and stopped us to complain about the campsite reservation system and the rangers. His extra jewelry was quite prominent and is what made the encounter so uncomfortable. That trail is always an adventure.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

scott4long wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:30 pm A friend and I crossed paths on the Conundrum Creek trail with a guy wearing nothing but hiking boots, a leather belt with a knife, and an... um.... intimate male piercing. I've encountered plenty of clothing-optional people at the hot springs themselves, but this was my first time seeing someone bouncing naked through the forest. Guy was overly friendly and talkative, and stopped us to complain about the campsite reservation system and the rangers. His extra jewelry was quite prominent and is what made the encounter so uncomfortable. That trail is always an adventure.
vegabond wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:49 pm Ran across a fully naked hiker on my way to cottonwood lake this summer, visually embarrassed, cupped his junk, I’ve got no problems with it, keeps long approaches interesting!
Guess there are times when Penny would make a good hiking partner.

sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sooshee »

Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep). Run into her on the Narrows while ascending, and she tried to argue with me that I was up all night long loudly talking. After talking with other groups from the Boulderfield, she did the same to everyone else. It was a relief to see her tent gone once we were down from the summit since we were staying a second night.

What normal person throws rocks in the dark at other peoples' tents?!
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

sooshee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:51 pm Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep). Run into her on the Narrows while ascending, and she tried to argue with me that I was up all night long loudly talking. After talking with other groups from the Boulderfield, she did the same to everyone else. It was a relief to see her tent gone once we were down from the summit since we were staying a second night.

Somebody you definitely don't want to have any type of conversation with on the Narrows.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

sooshee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:51 pm Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep). Run into her on the Narrows while ascending, and she tried to argue with me that I was up all night long loudly talking. After talking with other groups from the Boulderfield, she did the same to everyone else. It was a relief to see her tent gone once we were down from the summit since we were staying a second night.

Somebody from Crestone? Edit: dumb comment removed.
Last edited by greenonion on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.