Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Post by Istoodupthere »

Wasn’t a big deal but I ran across some different characters during my Challenger/Kit trip. Parked at Willow Creek trailhead the day before. It’s getting dark and I was the only person in the lot. A beater van pulls in and parks right next to me. This tall skinny dude who looked strung out proceeds to walk around my vehicle and in and out of the woods, constantly eye balling me and give me a pissed off look. 15 minutes later he left.

The next day on the way back from my hike, I came around a bend, just below Willow Lake. I surprised 2 guys with full neck tattoos (not discriminating against full neck tattoos ha) and wearing clothing that showed they obviously weren’t hiking/camping. They popped up from sitting on the trail, gave me a quick shocked look, and immediately hurried down the trail.

I half expected my vehicle to have been broken into when I got back. Luckily no issues. Again not a big deal but I was just curious if anyone has run into any uncomfortable situations with people on the trail/trailheads.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Post by nsaladin »

Istoodupthere wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:54 am
I half expected my vehicle to have been broken into when I got back. Luckily no issues. Again not a big deal but I was just curious if anyone has run into any uncomfortable situations with people on the trail/trailheads.
The trailheads on the western side of the Sangres have lots of break-ins. Either you must not of had anything interesting visible or these people were just out for a hike. People have also had gear stolen from their tents and I believe someone has even had stuff stolen from their tent on the east side at South Colony Lake.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Crestone is certainly getting weirder, and not in a good way.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have camped twice at trailheads where someone was shooting a loud gun all night so no sleep was possible. This was at South Colony and Rollins Pass.

There used to be a pretty crazy guy living on the land (not sure if it was public or private) near the Blanks Gulch Trailhead. He would lecture people on how to park, etc., but he seemed harmless. Does anyone else remember the guy? I'm sure others have seen him and this was in 2007 I believe.

I once met an old hermit near Mt. Timpanogos (Utah) who claimed to own all of the land between Timpanogos and Cascade Peak. He said that we shouldn't hike there because he had sheds on the mountain that can't be disturbed. We parked somewhere else and took another route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Sounds like you might have run into some Spice Guys:

Spice Guy Don't Ski
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Check out the "Up and Vanished" podcast about Kristal Reisinger.
Yup, Crestone is an odd place.

And yes, trailheads are getting used be lots of people for various reasons, legal and illegal.
Makes one wonder about personal protection.

JQ
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

lodgling wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:36 am Sounds like you might have run into some Spice Guys:

Spice Guy Don't Ski
download (3).jpeg
download (3).jpeg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Whatever happened to that guy on the East side of the Crestones harassing people on the trail?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 pm Whatever happened to that guy on the East side of the Crestones harassing people on the trail?
I totally forgot about this - didn't he throw a rock or something?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

speth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:49 pm
XterraRob wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 pm Whatever happened to that guy on the East side of the Crestones harassing people on the trail?
From my recollection, the guy got mad at someone who did not let him have right of way when he believed he had right of way, accused him of being from Texas with no evidence whatsoever, and threw a rock towards him.
Gotta be mentally unwell to create such arguments and become violent about it.
There was a whole forum thread about that incident.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

GuiGirard wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 pm
speth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:49 pm
From my recollection, the guy got mad at someone who did not let him have right of way when he believed he had right of way, accused him of being from Texas with no evidence whatsoever, and threw a rock towards him.
Gotta be mentally unwell to create such arguments and become violent about it.
There was a whole forum thread about that incident.
This ? https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=750432
Best Regards