Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Uncomfortable Experiences on Trail/Trailhead

Post by nyker »

greenonion wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm
sooshee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:51 pm Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep). Run into her on the Narrows while ascending, and she tried to argue with me that I was up all night long loudly talking. After talking with other groups from the Boulderfield, she did the same to everyone else. It was a relief to see her tent gone once we were down from the summit since we were staying a second night.

What normal person throws rocks in the dark at other peoples' tents?!
Somebody from Crestone? Or Qanonville??
NYC most likely
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

sooshee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:51 pm Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep).
Next time take video, give to rangers and person will be banned from National Parks.

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-eve ... nal-parks/
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

greenonion wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm
sooshee wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:51 pm Had an unfortunate encounter with a woman in the Boulderfield this summer who got pissed at every other camper (Boulderfield was completely booked out) wasn't in bed and asleep by 7pm, and who threw rocks at our tents at about 8:15-8:30pm (my friend and I had retired to our separate tents at this time and were in the process of trying to fall asleep). Run into her on the Narrows while ascending, and she tried to argue with me that I was up all night long loudly talking. After talking with other groups from the Boulderfield, she did the same to everyone else. It was a relief to see her tent gone once we were down from the summit since we were staying a second night.

What normal person throws rocks in the dark at other peoples' tents?!
Somebody from Crestone? Or Qanonville??
Thanks for turning yet another thread into your place to make a political statement
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Yep. Removed
Last edited by greenonion on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

This is probably one I've told before, but....

Me and a buddy were driving down the dirt road after completing Castle/Conundrum, when we came upon a jeep parking completely in the middle of the road, with the drivers door open. We figured some jerk got out to pee without thinking someone else might be using the road. But after honking and waiting a minute and nobody showing, I managed to scrape by the jeep on the shoulder. After we passed, we suddenly noticed a human body laying facedown in a field about 20 yards away from the jeep.

We honked again with no movement, and we quickly discussed what this might be. My buddy thought it was some kind of crime ambush, like we get out to check and suddenly others burst from the trees and rob/carjack us. I thought it might be a medical issue, and someone had a heart attack while driving and stumbled out. So we decided that I would stay with the car, while my buddy went to check on the guy. He gets a few feet away, and begins yelling very loudly "Are you ok?, whats going on?, etc" With absolutely no response or movement after a couple minutes of this. My buddy is convinced this is still an elaborate plot, and wants to leave. I'm worried its a dead guy. So I tell my buddy to touch him, and he refuses because he doesn't want to be in arms reach of a trap. So I pick up some gravel from the road and toss it at the body, who immediately sits up and flips over to sitting. He sits staring at us, mouth hanging open and not saying anything. So we ask him whats going on, are you ok? He responds back with just a thumbs up. We are very confused and I yell at the guy to quit screwing around and tell us what hes doing there. He then responds with a very slurred and obviously drunk/fucked up "Yeaahhhh I'mmm finnnnee."

Meanwhile we had peeked in his open jeep, and it was full of empty beer cans and various trash.

So we told him to move his damned jeep and left. We figured an almost empty dirt road was a good place to sleep it off.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

One guy looked kinda odd maybe, maybe kinda broke. Then he helped a TON. Gave trail recommendations, which turned out great! You figure he knows something headed into the wilderness carrying minimal gear and a tarp.

Heck I think people thought I looked odd. Maybe I do :)

Some people drumming up from Crestone the monsoons already going didn't get too far. Annoying but no.law against hanging around in a group outdoors I hope. Had sketchy experiences not much in Colorado yet that I can remember though.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Way back in 2009 I did Wheeler Peak in Great Basin, the second-highest (should be highest) point in Nevada. I slept at the trailhead in the surprising aspen grove at the end of the road, then hiked up the trail to the summit, passing innumerable windbreaks. In the summit one, I met the only other guy I saw on the mountain, and he was carrying a pistol. This was soon after it became legal to do so in National Parks, and so while I knew to steer well clear of politics, after some conversation I had to ask him why. He said he was worried about who else he'd find out there, and I thought "What? Harmless weirdos like me? Hikers are some of the least threatening people you'll meet!"

The only other time I have met non-hunters carrying pistols was up in Idaho (surprise, surprise...), and they said it was for wolves. I don't think of myself as part of the food chain in either direction while hiking, but to each his own.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

seano wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:39 am
I don't think of myself as part of the food chain in either direction while hiking, but to each his own.
Depends on when and where you're hiking...

In some areas I'd be more concerned about other humans with bad intentions than wolves.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/new-y ... ed-n383426

https://www.adirondack.net/history/garrow-manhunt/
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

seano wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:39 am Way back in 2009 I did Wheeler Peak in Great Basin, the second-highest (should be highest) point in Nevada. I slept at the trailhead in the surprising aspen grove at the end of the road, then hiked up the trail to the summit, passing innumerable windbreaks. In the summit one, I met the only other guy I saw on the mountain, and he was carrying a pistol. This was soon after it became legal to do so in National Parks, and so while I knew to steer well clear of politics, after some conversation I had to ask him why. He said he was worried about who else he'd find out there, and I thought "What? Harmless weirdos like me? Hikers are some of the least threatening people you'll meet!"

The only other time I have met non-hunters carrying pistols was up in Idaho (surprise, surprise...), and they said it was for wolves. I don't think of myself as part of the food chain in either direction while hiking, but to each his own.
A lot of people that aren't used to hiking up in the mountains tend to be really fearful of what could be out there. I don't blame them, it's definitely a comfort thing. Personally a firearm is way too heavy for a lot of hikes in Colorado, a hunting knife across your chest or at your side isn't a bad idea though when you hike alone.

Don't think I've ever had an uncomfortable experience regarding humans in the mountains though, but I've definitely been unnerved by fresh cat tracks when snow hiking a couple times in the San Juans outside Lake City.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I’ve seen pistols in the Weminuche, or the Salida walmart. Not everybody was raised the same, we shouldn’t be fearful in my opinion of that.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

nyker wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:34 am
In all areas I'd be more concerned about other humans with bad intentions than wolves.
Fixed that for you.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Some of the more interesting areas I have started to explore is that where butch Cassidy used to hang out between robberies. I suppose I could understand concern about a modern day butch Cassidy hanging out in remote areas. I wouldn't consider much of colorado to be remote though...