How soon is too soon?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

How soon is too soon?

Post by Skimo95 »

How long do you guys usually allow the snow to build up in order to support your weight? After some decent snow the past few weeks, I’ve seen people shredding some decent slopes without too much rock worry. Here’s your annual, “can I ski yet” thread.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How soon is too soon?

Post by RETEP 1 »

I saw a guy skinning up towards Colorado Mines Peak on Thursday of last week. Drove back over today and I don’t think it would still be possible but I guess if you time it right, just get a rock board and let er rip!!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

You get lucky, until you don’t.

Hit one rock in the wrong way, and it’s season over. Broken bones, torn ligaments, destroyed skis.

Patience is a virtue, for a reason.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I always thought pushing early season ski conditions was one of the stupider things to do, it helps to have other activities to keep you occupied, like right now lower elevation biking and climbing is perfect, then by Late November/ early December, there’s decent skiing somewhere. Skiing for me has always been a December to June affair.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Skimo95 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 am How long do you guys usually allow the snow to build up in order to support your weight? After some decent snow the past few weeks, I’ve seen people shredding some decent slopes without too much rock worry. Here’s your annual, “can I ski yet” thread.
Patience hopper. I was on a local mountain 3 days ago with snow all over the upper portion and felt much less safe on the summit due to unconsolidated snow amongst the boulders than when I’ve been up there in January/other winter months. Not the same as skiing or boarding but a similar experience due to snow seeming plentiful but just really wasn’t. Smart question to ask!
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'll think about going skiing in another month and a half or so. October BC skiing is one of the less-smart ideas out there.

The more important question is, how soon is now?
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

My husband has skied every month out of the year for over three years now so he would say it’s never too soon. There are places to go. For example, he got off work at 7:00 pm on the last day of September and went up and skied St. Mary’s by headlamp so as to not miss a month. Turned out there were several other people up there doing the exact same thing. Me? I’m all about “high quality” experiences only so I would say to hold off for a bit longer. Plus, I really value my skis and my knees.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I’ve skied every month of the year for the past 11 years, encompassing 3 broken legs ( I can ski on one leg). So yes, there are places to go year round, but regular BC touring right now isn’t a good idea if you don’t know the terrain under the snow - really really well. I’ve gone BC in October on fresh snow, and gotten lucky so far, but won’t likely do it again, except in specific known zones. Even fresh snow on old snow/ice surfaces can and will slide. There’s already been slides up on Loveland pass. Enough snow to ski, enough snow to slide. This time of year, the WROD is more appealing than the potential for hitting a rock with a hip.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

12ersRule wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:42 pm
I prefer the t.A.T.u cover it’s what I grew up listening to... Oh wait I haven’t grew up yet :P
Be the best you that you can be.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm I’ve skied every month of the year for the past 11 years, encompassing 3 broken legs ( I can ski on one leg).
This is a little bit crazy…you know that, right? This is exactly why I’ve never been keen on taking on this type of project. That and I get easily distracted by other things.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:06 pm I’ve skied every month of the year for the past 11 years, encompassing 3 broken legs ( I can ski on one leg). So yes, there are places to go year round, but regular BC touring right now isn’t a good idea if you don’t know the terrain under the snow - really really well. I’ve gone BC in October on fresh snow, and gotten lucky so far, but won’t likely do it again, except in specific known zones. Even fresh snow on old snow/ice surfaces can and will slide. There’s already been slides up on Loveland pass. Enough snow to ski, enough snow to slide. This time of year, the WROD is more appealing than the potential for hitting a rock with a hip.
Did any of the broken legs have to do with skiing every month of the year?

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6