50 Years of Skiing! Who's with me?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 50 Years of Skiing! Who's with me?

Post by wineguy »

glenmiz wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:53 am I started on with lace leather boots and cable bindings
Ouch, I remember those cable bindings. A quirk of fate that our ankles are still intact. I started skiing in Michigan's UP at age nine. No groomed slopes, just dragged our skis to the top of nearest hill and barreled straight down the fall line. Sometimes we'd build a jump midway down the slope. Plan to ski again this year at 71, so 60+ years, although a few gaps in there.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by seeking timberline »

50ish years off and on for me, I think. The memory of those early years is kind of imprecise. Learned at a long-closed place called Silver Hills, east of Westcliffe in the Wet Mountains. Graduated to Monarch shortly thereafter. The first year I skied Breckenridge, there was only Peak 8, a handful of lifts and a dirt parking lot. Whoa, I know. Just purchased my first set of AT skis last week, so we’ll see if it’s possible to teach an old dog new tricks.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

When your knees can't handle skiing anymore, there's always snow kayaking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_boating

Is anyone kayaking the 14ers?
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Kayaking on snow ...

Everything old is new again !

We were doing this 40 years ago (not down 14ers)

P.S. Going of 75 years old - my knees still work fine (I'm a bump skier) and
I attribute my robust health to excessive whiskey and wild women :)
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

I'm 38 and I've skied 35 of those!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Ignats
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ignats »

70 now but my first date with the lady later to become my wife, was night sking in CT in 1964. Her jealous boyfriend swiped both our skis that night. It did not deter us from continuing however.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

In 1991, my lovely wife Lisa and I had our first date. The next day I called her and asked if she wanted to ski at Mt. Snow the next day and she said “yes.” Well, Sunday morning I waited and waited until she showed up an hour late. This was bad. I’m a skier and an hour late on the road to the resort is bad. It was the first morning of DST time change so I gave her a pass and 30 years later I know I made the right call. :)

However, I bring it up occasionally.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Congratulations, but this brings us back to the same fundamental and unresolved problem: Wilmington or Dover?

People deserve closure. Less than 20 votes is not nearly enough: viewtopic.php?p=742492#p742492
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Butternut.

Just saying, OP will know

Started skiing more than 50 years ago, switched to snowboard some time after that.

Never skied on these newfangled "shaped skis"; but considering giving them a whirl.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Jan 1975 at Spring Mountain in PA. This makes it my 48th season.