Lodgling Becomes First To Telemark Ski The 14ers

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lodgling Becomes First To Telemark Ski The 14ers

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Will_E wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:35 pm I have no idea what Telemark ski means
It means his thighs are HUGE
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

congratulations dude! that's a lot of work, very well done.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Thanks everyone for the congrats, this has been a very long road … I skied my first 14er in 2005 (before Davenport’s project!). I’ll eventually get a TR out for Capitol, but for now (and since this conversation is occurring here) I want to give a special thanks to our host, the one and only Bill Middlebrook. This site has been and continues to be a huge resource for information and for meeting people. For the past decade plus, I have bugged random members by pm for photos and folks always went out of their way to help. I got a ton of motivation, was able to study ski lines and met some of my closest ski partners here. From time to time this place has felt like family even though I haven’t even met some of you, because the site has allow us to share so much on the far ends of the emotional spectrum (e.g. Life is for the Living – just try not shedding a tear). And without the ability to mostly verify on the ground snow conditions around the state that this place often provides in March, April and May, a project like this would not have been possible for someone like me with a busy career in Denver and family to balance. There were only a few peaks where a drive across the state was wasted because conditions did not allow for a ski descent.

Thanks again to Eric (Gueza) and Krishna Gandhi for dragging me up Capitol, carrying the yellow rope and bringing the rap expertise, and to Eric for leading the toughest parts of the skiing (the really scary parts no one talks about -- it has really been fun to watch you develop into a steep skier before my eyes over the last decade). You guys can borrow my waders any time, just ask. As a side note, I was very sad that Matt Lipscomb, who has been a trusted partner and close friend for the duration (both on the slopes and the frisbee field) had a work commitment and couldn’t join -- thanks for all the energy you put into my goal over the years when there was certainly better snow out there to be had (excepting Missouri and La Plata that is)(TR forthcoming someday).

And of course, thanks to my beautiful wife Kathleen who has the patience of a saint (and yet again changed her own trip plans so that a Capitol attempt could happen). I am very glad this is over for you too.

Here’s some fun stats about my partners over the years and a few classic TRs from other members before I figured out how to do my own (includes repeats so the math doesn’t add up):
Solo – 32
Matt Lipscomb -- 12
Eric Sangueza (Gueza) -- 9
Dan Knowles -- 5
Fritz Sperry (killingcokes) -- 4
Marc Barella (XC Snowboarder) -- 4
Carl Dowdy (Carl) -- 3
Dave Wolf -- 3

One peak:
John Laake
Mike Bean (Bean)(attempt, success)
Otina Fox (bergsteigen)
Brian Miller (lordhelmut)(ran into on Humboldt)
Caroline Moore (USAKeller), Keith Kiggins (KeithK) (Keith K's intro to snow climbing on Mt. Lindsey)
Jordan White (jcwhite), Matt Kamper (pioletski)(nearly getting blown off Longs)
Bill Middlebrook (BillMiddlebrook). One of my absolute favorites, finally meeting up with Bill for the Blanca powder day(also present in other groups were Rob Mullen (SchralpTheGnar), Mike Mullen, Natalie Moran (SnowAlien) and (Manky)

A go-to pair of my skis also spent a brief time on Andrew Hamilton’s feet during his Winter 2018 mind-blowing FKT. I wore the skis again in 2019 on El D (my all-time best descent) and my solo venture into Chicago Bain (TR forthcoming someday). 14ers.com makes you do funny stuff (Damn you Bill Middlebrook!)

Stay safe and THINK SNOW!!
Last edited by lodgling on Tue May 03, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

Congratulations, that's incredible! Awesome job!!
Easy Rider
14ers: 56  56  6 
13ers: 311 233 18
Trip Reports (65)

Post by Easy Rider »

Congrats on this, and to new adventures!
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Awesome Rob! Congrats.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Why do you choose tele over AT?
Obviously at this point you're extremely proficient, of course.
But why do you choose to telemark?
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Congrats on an amazing achievement.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Awesome news, congrats! What an adventure!
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Super impressive! I'm really liking the picture of you they are using over on the Facebook page. Congrats!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

So freakin cool. As a pretty adept skier I feel like getting good enough at tele to ski extreme terrain has gotta be harder than actually skiing them all on tele. legs of steel…
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Congratulations duder!
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage