Ski Lessons at the Resorts

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Ski Lessons at the Resorts

Post by Buckie06 »

So I'd like to take a ski lesson this season and am hoping I can get some advice.

1. Does anyone have thoughts on group v private lessons, worth the money to go private, or do you get enough instruction from the group?

2. how long of a lesson to take (1,2,3,6 hour) Did you get too tired by the end of the lesson to learn anything?

3. Where to take it? I have Monarch, Loveland, Copper Mtn, and Ski Cooper on my pass this year. I see that Ski Cooper's lesson prices are significantly cheaper.

4. Are they not worth it at all and just keep learning on my own?

About me: can ski easy blacks but not super confidently or in full control. Skied some peaks BC last season and had a blast. Have never had formal ski instruction. Would like to perfect my turns and speed control.

thanks! Never too early to talk about skiing!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Ski Lessons at the Resorts

Post by Tory Wells »

Since you are already an intermediate level skier, wouldn't the best way to get better be to just practice some more? If it was me, I would watch some Youtube videos, find some better-than-me skier friends to ski with, and practice practice practice.

I would say you need a mentor more than you need an instructor.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
jscully
14ers: 49  2  10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully »

I would continue to take lessons and keep on practicing. Hopefully you diddn't develop any bad habits and an intermediate lesson would be a good way to tell. Even ski instructors take lessons themselves because technique can always be refined. I would recommend getting a private lesson split with a friend if they allow it. I know Loveland does this and thought it was definitely worth the price. Good luck
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I know loveland has some pretty inexpensive instruction
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

If you're going to take lessons at your level then private is the way to go. I teach at Eldora and know the difficulties of a group lesson where each person is different and needs different teaching styles. I would take a private and then practice for a couple months and then see how far you progress. Skiing is a lifetime process. I started at 2 1/2 and am 33 now and still progressing myself. Good luck!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

If you already do blacks I would spend the money on a good avy course. Other than that I heard Loveland has good instruction (but for kids) Look for a resort that has steep stuff. A Basin has classes at that level but it not an option for you.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I hear Copper's is really good.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

I agree with the others––the best way to improve is finding an expert skier friend willing to go out with you. Once you reach a certain level, ski instruction is, in my opinion, not worth it.

When I was 7 or 8, I was dropped off a ski lift by an instructor, survived the fall, but then was struck in the back of the head by the chair! I told my Mom then and there I was DONE with lessons. So I'm a little biased against instruction. My parents and uncles were all former ski racers, and I learned from them.

There are few things I'll brag about myself, skiing being one. I'm an aggressive advanced/expert skier. My girlfriend was a beginner skier at the start of last season at Vail, but after 30 days of skiing with me she's now a solid intermediate, perhaps even an advanced intermediate. Didn't pay a dime for instruction, just went with me, got a little out of her comfort zone, and progressed in a big way.
gcoldewey
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gcoldewey »

I would take lessons. I ski black and double black mostly in Utah and still take a lesson every other year or so. At this level I usually pick up one thought or technique in an afternoon lesson, but that is enough to take it to the next level. Being able to do it and being able to teach it are two different things...good instructors see your flaws and can offer constructive ways to correct it. Also, at the higher levels mid week quite often group lessons turn into private lessons cause there aren't that many people taking them.
ultragirl
14ers: 46 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultragirl »

Look up Colorado Mountain Club. They have a variety of classes for all abilities!
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

I would take a lesson. Even if you get up with a fast crew, they aren't going to help with specific techniques. Stuff like keeping your hands up, driving your shins into the front of your boots to initiate turns and other things like that. I would guess some tweaks in your mechanics would make a big difference. You are probably in a sweet spot for an advanced lesson.
Ron McFarland
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ron McFarland »

You might want to change the question from "lessons vs no lessons" to "how do I develop a life long learning approach to skiing" I truly believe if you go exploring for ideas you will continue to grow your enjoyment. The other bonus is you reduce your potential to injury and also find you are skiing at a similar level late in life. All world class skiers have coaches of some kind in their routine.

There are many people who ski "blacks" or ski "fast" that are very inefficient with their movement patterns and or ability to utilize ski design - so you need to develop your eye to what a good turn looks like - YouTube is great for this. We were introduced to video by JF Beaulieu last winter - there are a couple of thirty minute discussions filmed at Whistler that are really good. And one from New Zealand last month - great skiing right now in South Island -- https://www.youtube.com/user/jfbeaulieu96548276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one is a bit geeky but good for listening to in car - http://www.globalskiing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - these are one hour podcasts with coaches and instructors from around the world. Start with oldest one first.

My other rant is keep your skis tuned - every three days - works well for us.

Happy tracks!