Chicago Basin

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Chicago Basin

Post by bergsteigen »

Anyone ever use the Rockdale depot stop to get on an off before? Looks like you could save some time, and possible parking costs.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Rockwood? Sounds like it could work -- I like where this is heading. When are you looking at?
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I've used it for kayaking but only to get from Tacoma to Rockwood. Last time I checked in July of 2014 the all-powerful TRAIN people would not let us board in Rockwood. My climbing partner in Durango HATES the hour and a half trip up the valley and offered to pay them just about anything but no go on Rockwood so we went in from Silverton. I doubt the all-powerful TRAIN people who control all in Durango will ever let backpackers on in Rockwood because the parking there would spiral out of control quickly. I wish they would build a road to Needleton. The Weminuche Rain Forest couldn't be any more crowded than it is now.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

bergsteigen wrote:Anyone ever use the Rockdale depot stop to get on an off before? Looks like you could save some time, and possible parking costs.

Not since 1989 when you could take the Rockwood Bus. Parking was free at Rockwood and it was pretty much backpackers only so I thought it was a good thing. The bus was diesel powered however and was prone to breakdowns. Still I think it would be a great idea to have the train stop at Rockwood and pick up climbers ,hikers , and backpackers.
PICT0031.JPG
PICT0031.JPG (344.33 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Manky
14ers: 57  21  4 
13ers: 38 8 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Manky »

I don't think the D&SNGRR is really setup anymore for regular folks to get on and off at Rockwood. The parking is kind of limited and they are pretty particular about loading all packs and equipment in the correct car in Durango. The only time I have gotten off at Rockwood was after a SAR mission, which was unique in and of itself. YMMV though, never hurts to ask.
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...
MichiganBrian
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichiganBrian »

bergsteigen wrote:Thanks Brad, but ski beta changes day to day, week to week. Last year doesn't quite help us know if we can ski off the summits now, if lines are "out", wind blasted, etc. With all the recent snow, I'm more worried about stability and bonding, let alone ski quality and efficiency to climb it!

Soon...
Isn't great ski beta - but I was flying over that area last weekend in a small plane (~13,000 ft MSL) and most peaks were continuous snow from the summit on 05/06 and there was substantially less slide activity apparent than the peaks in the front, elk, and sawatch ranges. Tough to gage depth from the plane though. Only picture I took was en route to/over Cinnamon pass looking towards Uncompaghre which I can send along if helpful.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

bergsteigen wrote:Anyone ever use the Rockdale depot stop to get on an off before? Looks like you could save some time, and possible parking costs.
When I worked for the FS in 2010 & 2011, they unfortunately didn't allow any overnight parking at Rockwood so it wasn't a viable wilderness access point.
JChitwood wrote:I wish they would build a road to Needleton. The Weminuche Rain Forest couldn't be any more crowded than it is now.
Not sure if serious.... :-s
The only time I lower the bar is après
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

MichiganBrian wrote: Isn't great ski beta - but I was flying over that area last weekend in a small plane (~13,000 ft MSL) and most peaks were continuous snow from the summit on 05/06 and there was substantially less slide activity apparent than the peaks in the front, elk, and sawatch ranges. Tough to gage depth from the plane though. Only picture I took was en route to/over Cinnamon pass looking towards Uncompaghre which I can send along if helpful.
That's actually pretty helpful. Less slides means more happy skiing!! Especially as I suffer from PTSD when I have to ski a slide path now...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Live from Windom...

Eolus: rocky summit, but doable. Drop west, reascend ski east

N Eolus: OUT by a country mile

Sunlight: ramp is out. Standard is spicy and rather bleak.

Windom: unconsolidated surface, but stable. Widowmaker is in, but rocks at crux

SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

bergsteigen wrote:Live from Windom...

Eolus: rocky summit, but doable. Drop west, reascend ski east

N Eolus: OUT by a country mile

Sunlight: ramp is out. Standard is spicy and rather bleak.

Windom: unconsolidated surface, but stable. Widowmaker is in, but rocks at crux
Bummer, will you go back in better conditions? I still have never been back there and still can't t wait to check it all out
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:
Bummer, will you go back in better conditions? I still have never been back there and still can't t wait to check it all out
I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll likely go back with friends. Widowmaker turned out to be bulletproof, so I bailed after a pant-filling jump turn on it. Not super happy about Sunlight descent either.