Chicago Basin

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Chicago Basin

Post by lodgling »

Could someone please catch the train and hike into Chicago Basin and do a TR with lots of photos re: snow conditions near the summits of the 14ers up there? Much appreciated. Thanks again.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Chicago Basin

Post by bergsteigen »

I would be happy to accomplish this task, just as soon as the weather cooperates!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I'll do it for my consulting rate of $90/hour plus expenses
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

TravelingMatt wrote:I'll do it for my consulting rate of $90/hour plus expenses
I'll do it for $89.50/hr (plus expenses)
The only time I lower the bar is après
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Otina, you're hired. (Looks like you should consider upping your rates). Ski mountaineering is apparently more of a profit center than I had realized. Though I'd probably do it for $4.50/hr.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

lodgling wrote:Otina, you're hired. (Looks like you should consider upping your rates). Ski mountaineering is apparently more of a profit center than I had realized. Though I'd probably do it for $4.50/hr.
Sheesh, didn't realize I could supplement my income with ski mountaineering. Maybe I really can retire early, live the dream!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

I will do it for a flat rate of $160. $89 (train) $10 (backpack) and $55 for roundtrip fuel, and $6 for 3 days worth of lifesaver gummies. Seriously though.
duncanmil
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by duncanmil »

No need to go. I assure you, right now there is snow in those there mountains.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Here's a link to my TR from last May.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Thanks Brad, but ski beta changes day to day, week to week. Last year doesn't quite help us know if we can ski off the summits now, if lines are "out", wind blasted, etc. With all the recent snow, I'm more worried about stability and bonding, let alone ski quality and efficiency to climb it!

Soon...

bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

bergsteigen wrote:Thanks Brad, but ski beta changes day to day, week to week. Last year doesn't quite help us know if we can ski off the summits now, if lines are "out", wind blasted, etc. With all the recent snow, I'm more worried about stability and bonding, let alone ski quality and efficiency to climb it!

Soon...
Sorry - I misunderstood the OP. Didn't realize it was looking for current year beta.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

If any groups are planning on doing Chicago Basin over the Memorial Day weekend please contact my friend Jill from Littleton. She has a group of skiers that are planning on skiing the col's that weekend. Very experienced group, shoot her an email if interested...

jillgoudie007@gmail.com